Sunset Over the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Duffy the Disney Bear is on His Way

posted on October 13th, 2010 by Dara Trujillo, Manager, Merchandise Synergy, Events, and Communication

Great news…Duffy the Disney Bear will be arriving at both Disney California Adventure park and Epcot tomorrow but we have a sneak peek today for Disney Parks Blog readers. If you remember, I shared some first photos and drawings of Duffy, Mickey Mouse’s very own teddy bear last month. Now, we’ve got video of Duffy on his way to Epcot aboard the Grand 1, the 52-foot yacht that sails Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake at Walt Disney World. Why, the Grand 1 yacht? Duffy is a sailor, after all.

If you happen to be in Disney Parks tomorrow, join us for Duffy’s Grand Opening! Don’t miss Duffy’s Grand Opening in Epcot tomorrow afternoon at 12:00pm EST and at Disney California Adventure park at 9:45am PST.

By the way, escorting Duffy is an unusual duty for the Grand 1. Most nights, the yacht sails from the marina at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, taking guests out to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks. To get more information, you can call (407) WDW-PLAY.

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Larisa on October 13th, 2010 at 10:53 am

Awww…he’s so cute!

Karen from MA on October 13th, 2010 at 10:55 am

Duffy is adorable!

Anonymous on October 13th, 2010 at 11:12 am

Although cute, why some random bear named Duffy? What is his story and relation to Disney?

Jennifer from AZ on October 13th, 2010 at 11:13 am

So cute! My son has a Duffy bear in PJs and the darker brown Duffy with the 1st Visit shirt. He needs a sailor Duffy!!! (P.S. Is there a difference between light brown and dark brown Duffys?)

Deana on October 13th, 2010 at 11:18 am

Anonymous,
I do believe Duffy is Mickey’s personal teddy bear.

Shelby on October 13th, 2010 at 11:39 am

Duffy is adorable! I can’t wait for my next trip to Disneyworld to see him!

Bill from RI on October 13th, 2010 at 12:50 pm

how can he be in two places at once?

Benjamin on October 13th, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Ok… I thought the bear was cute when I first saw the plush in the parks a few years ago. I don’t care for this marketing campaign to try to get us to care about him as an actual character though. He’s not a character, and seeing him force fed to us is enough to make me regret ever buying the plush for my mom those years ago.

Linda on October 13th, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Benjamin – if you follow his success at Tokyo DisneySea – he is a character and quite an important one in the Park there. In Japan, he was given a story and some background that brought to life what the “Disney Bear” on shelves in the US Parks had not. And that plush your Mom has now is probably worth quite a bit if you see what some of the earlier Disney Bears fetch on the secondary market. Be happy you did get it for her.

Judson on October 13th, 2010 at 2:15 pm

How’s he on his way to Epcot? Wasn’t the video shot around Seven Seas Lagoon. Doesn’t look like those two waterways are connected, not any connection that a 52′ yacht could navigate anyway.

Anonymous on October 13th, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Will we be able to get our own Duffy’s online?

Linda on October 13th, 2010 at 2:41 pm

One question – it shows as 9:45am for DCA but California Adventure does not supposedly open until 10am tomorrow according to the hours section. Can you please tell us what time we can actually get there? I’d like to pass that along in the article I am writing. Thanks!

Elizabeth on October 13th, 2010 at 3:05 pm

We saw this film shoot being set up last Friday at the GF — Although I am not entirely sold on Duffy — it was pretty interesting watching him hang out on the Yacht before the shoot. Welcome to WDW Duffy!

jasmine on October 13th, 2010 at 4:06 pm

i’m going to go pick up my duffy on Friday! so excited!

Vance from FL on October 13th, 2010 at 4:44 pm

LOL at Judson…I was thinking the same thing, he’s going to be sailing a while if he’s got to get to Epcot since Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake aren’t connected to Cresent Lake or World Showcase Lagoon…perhaps Duffy on the Breathless II (if it was working) would have been better

Antonella from NJ on October 13th, 2010 at 6:31 pm

So looking forward to being there in a few weeks. I love teddy bears and Disney…so what a great combination! Looking forward to scoping out Duffy around Epcot.ºoº

Candace from FL on October 13th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I didn’t know he had a name, but this was the first teddy bear my son ever had (actually it was bought while I was still pregnant). We named him Max and he is still on my son’s bed seven years later.

Philip on October 14th, 2010 at 10:05 am

How can he be in two places at once?

Just ask Mickey or any of the other Disney characters. :D

Some things in life just aren’t meant to be questioned.

Tim on October 14th, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Friends of mine had their baby yesterday. Duffy arrived at the parks today. I phoned in an order and Duffy is being shipped to the house of the new baby boy!

Tara from ON on October 14th, 2010 at 4:33 pm

It’s interesting to see that many people posting are referring to Duffy as a “he”. Disney, however, is careful to not mention a gender. At Tokyo DisneySEA you can buy clothes for Duffy that are for both genders. The person who buys or gets Duffy decides what gender it is. I decided mine was a boy but I saw lots of people in Tokyo who had Duffy dressed as a girl. Last week at WDW, a Japanese couple in front of me in line had the small Duffys attached to their belt. The girl had a boy Duffy and the guy had a girl Duffy (with pink bow in hair).

Tara from ON on October 14th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Oh scratch my comment about Disney being careful. I just noticed the headline refers to “his way”….hmm. That’s very odd. I wonder if in the U.S. he’ll be a he and only a he.

jasmine on October 14th, 2010 at 5:28 pm

tara:
actually there is female bear in Tokyo now, her name is Shellie May, she’s really adorable. hopefully if Duffy is popular enough here she’ll be next

Anthony on October 14th, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Can we find him online like at disneystore.com? I just missed him by a week and he seems to be hard to find on the computer!

David on November 8th, 2010 at 9:55 am

Call me a cynic, but he looks like just another generic, Build-A-Bear ripoff. Sure, I know that he is supposed to be Mickey’s bear that Minnie made for him… but it really doesn’t seem to have the heartwarming Disney connection. I agree with Benjamin, it seems to me that this is nothing more than a marketing ploy by Disney. Unfortunate… I’d never buy this for my child for that very reason. Too gimmicky!