Tokyo Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion

Reservations Open for Wild Africa Trek Adventures at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

posted on October 15th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

First Look at the Hippo Encounter at the New Safari Experience, Wild Africa Trek

How’s that for a view? Such wildlife thrills are part of the upcoming Wild Africa Trek experience at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and we’ve just opened reservations. It’s the same adventure we told you about in July but now we can share more details.

Wild Africa Trek will be a three-hour, expert-led adventure offering up-close-and-personal experiences with wildlife species that make their home in Pangani Forest as well as other areas of the park’s Harambe Wildlife Reserve. As part of the adventure, you’ll clip onto a lifeline and step to the edge of a cliff to get amazingly close to the hippos and crocs. Here are a few highlights for curious explorers:

• Trekking with experienced guides through areas of Harambe Wildlife Reserve that aren’t explored during regular Disney’s Animal Kingdom experiences.
  • Navigating through fern and vine forests on a bushwalk.
  • Clipping into a harness attached to a safety line, crossing a rope bridge over the Safi River and cliff-hanging at the edge of gullies that are home to hippos and crocodiles.
  • Experiencing the thrill of “over-landing” in customized open-air vehicles following the edge of a wide-open savanna.
  • Unwinding from an unforgettable adventure at a private safari camp for wildlife viewing. At this station elevated above the savanna, guests will savor sample tastes of Africa.

Giraffe on the Wild Africa Trek

Harambe Wildlife Reserve will be offered several times daily at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Groups will be kept small, consisting of no more than 12 trekkers per safari.

Reservations for Wild Africa Trek can be arranged by calling 407-WDW-TOUR (939-8687). Pricing for this unique adventure will vary seasonally. Guests who reserve a booking from Jan. 16-Feb. 26, 2011, may take advantage of an introductory offer starting at $129. Park admission is required for participants.

Filed: Disney's Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Anonymous on October 15th, 2010 at 9:47 am

And the age limit?

Wendy from ON on October 15th, 2010 at 9:50 am

Is there an age limit

Thomas Smith on October 15th, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Hi Wendy, guests must be at least 9 years old.

Annamarie from MI on October 15th, 2010 at 9:50 am

Is there a minimum age for this tour?

Melissa on October 15th, 2010 at 9:57 am

On the phone booking it now!!

Anonymous on October 15th, 2010 at 10:10 am

What are your requirments for joining this adventure such as age, handicap etc.

Judson on October 15th, 2010 at 10:35 am

Wow, does this look awesome!

Shannon on October 15th, 2010 at 10:36 am

What an awesome adventure! I love the behind the scenes tours at Disney and can’t wait to check this one out.

Tracy from IL on October 15th, 2010 at 10:37 am

I would also like to know about the accessibility of this tour.

Nancy from NJ on October 15th, 2010 at 10:51 am

!) Will there be a discount for season pass holders?
2) Is it advisable to bring a very expensive camera?

Jane from Cornwall on October 15th, 2010 at 11:43 am

What an amazing opportunity to see African animals in their own habitat, but without travelling to another continent! You’ve done it again Disney – brilliant!

Paul on October 15th, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Awesome! Keep developing great ideas for Animal Kingdom. My last visit to Disney World I had the best time in Animal Kingdom. I love this park and am excited to try this adventure. A rumor for a while was that there would be ziplining. Is there any way that could be worked into any area of the tour or done separately?
Keep the creative juices flowing Disney team!

Lauren on October 15th, 2010 at 12:24 pm

When is the first day the tours start being given??? I will be in WDW in early December. Will I be able to book a tour for then or do the tours only start in January?

Peter Tsz Leung on October 15th, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Is park admission required?
I wish they start the tour sooner, when they first announce it, it was going to start this fall. I was so hoping to do this next week while I’m in WDW. Oh well, guess just have to wait for the next trip.

Thomas Smith on October 15th, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Yes, park admission is required.

Richard from OH on October 15th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

This is one “backstage” tour that my wife will actually want to take (normally she does not want to spoil the magic with knowing what goes on behind the scenes).

Anonymous on October 15th, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Also would like to know if there is an age requirement/limit.

Linda from AL on October 15th, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Minimum age is 9 years old. Bummer….no cameras or recording equipment allowed. And no passholder or DVC discounts.

Anonymous on October 15th, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I just called and was told the age requirement is 9.

Full price is 189 per person.

Tracy on October 15th, 2010 at 2:36 pm

There is a alternative safari excursion offered if you are unable to walk the distances required and navigate the bridges.

Katharine on October 15th, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Just booked for 2/14/2011
Forgot to ask about the age limit. There IS a weight range requirement of between 60 and 310 lbs.
Also – something I’m not happy about – no cameras or video which seems wrong when getting a chance to see these animals up close. I realize there are no-picture areas backstage, but it would seem to me that the ‘on stage’ animal encounters shouldn’t be off-limits. Oh well. Wasn’t enough of a deterrent to keep me from booking it. We’ll see how it goes…

Katharine on October 15th, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Oh – and I asked about passholder and/or Disney Visa discounts and was told that since it is such a new adventure there are no discounts at this time but I was encouraged to check back before the tour.

Anonymous on October 15th, 2010 at 7:53 pm

gosh this is expensive!!! glad to see they allow us larger people to go!

andrea on October 16th, 2010 at 7:48 am

i just booked mine last night. i will be going on the 1st day they excepted reservations!! so excited. i am actually just flying there for the day to do this(found REALLY cheap airfare for the day) . it sounds awesome!! so cant wait!!

andrea on October 16th, 2010 at 9:22 am

is there a time of day where the animals are the most active or where you will get to see more happenings behind the scene?

kelly from NJ on October 16th, 2010 at 10:17 am

This looks great! I wish it was available for my December trip! Oh well, one more reason to go back next year.

Scott on October 16th, 2010 at 12:05 pm

As much as I would love to go on this tour, not being able to photograph the animals and activities drops my enthusiasm for it. I would like to know the reasons behind such a ban. I know if you are backstage, you are not allowed but this doesn’t sound like a lot of this tour is.

Richard on October 20th, 2010 at 10:33 am

Are there rest rooms vailable

Theresa on November 9th, 2010 at 7:20 pm

My sister and I are doing a “girls trip” in February 2011. We booked this tour during our stay. Introductory price is $129/pp, but will eventually go up to $189/pp. We were told they want guests to enjoy the tour without distraction of cell phones, cameras, video equipment. The tours include a WDW photographer who travels with each group to take pictures of us/for us. We are very excited and looking forward to the whole adventure.