Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

Take a Ride on AquaDuck with Me!

posted on November 19th, 2010 by Jonathan Frontado, Disney Cruise Line

Disney Cruise Line fans might remember that last year on the blog I revealed one of the most exciting features coming to the Disney DreamAquaDuck, the first water coaster aboard a cruise ship.

I wrapped up that message by saying “we’ll have to wait until 2011 to actually experience the AquaDuck” since the ship’s inaugural cruise is set for January 26, 2011.

I thought that would be true, really I did. But it’s not. Not for me and a few lucky Disney cast and crew members, anyway.

A few weeks ago I was among the first people to ride AquaDuck! (Have I mentioned that I love my job?)

It was a chilly day at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany so we wore wetsuits for several solo rides down the 765-foot flume. Capturing our fun on the two-person raft was a high-definition camera protected with plenty of padding – and insurance!

I wish I could have taken all of you with me. Instead, I brought back this exclusive video to tide you over until the Disney Dream begins sailing out of Florida’s Port Canaveral next year.

Take a ride with Cruise Director Rachel Quinn as Peter Ricci of Walt Disney Imagineering describes some of the features that make AquaDuck a not-to-miss experience for our guests 48 inches or taller.

I’m in the video too but you’ll have to look carefully to spot me. Here’s a hint.

Now that you’ve seen AquaDuck in action, who wants to ride?

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

Paul on November 19th, 2010 at 11:04 am

We are 100 days out from our cruise on the Disney Dream next year, and I’m thinking the AquaDuck just might be my first stop! Thanks so much for sharing this video with us!

Rob from WA on November 19th, 2010 at 11:15 am

My chance to ride the AquaDuck is still 295 days away, and I can hardly wait to see more of the finished Disney Dream!

Blythe from TX on November 19th, 2010 at 11:20 am

Awesome!! Can’t wait!!

Lou from FL on November 19th, 2010 at 11:27 am

We’re exactly 100 days away from our WDWRadio cruise on the Dream and this is the one thing that I think everyone is most excited about! I’m just imagining riding while out to sea, and looking over the side of the ship at the blue waters below. It’s going to be amazing! Thanks for sharing the video!!

Lou M
WDWRadio

Kimberly from ON on November 19th, 2010 at 11:41 am

OMGosh I am so excited! We are 93 days out from our cruise on the Disney Dream and I can’t wait!! My kids are going to love the Aqua Duck!!

Kim in Canada

Rita from CO on November 19th, 2010 at 11:48 am

Wow can’t wait until June…I know I am going to have to beat the grand kids to the slide..Thanks for sharing

karla from NJ on November 19th, 2010 at 11:56 am

THIS IS THE TRIP I WANT FOR MY 50 th BIRTHDAY, I CAN”T WAIT TO GO ON THAT AQUA DUCK

MY DAUGHTER WILL BE 30, WE WILL HAVE A NEW GRANDSON and OUR YOUNGEST WILL GRADUATE

COLLEGE so MANY WONDERFUL THINGS IN THE NEXT YEAR..THIS TRIP WOULD JUST ADD TO ALL THE

FUN FUN FUN !!!

Alison from KS on November 19th, 2010 at 11:58 am

We sail in 86 days and we can’t wait! We are so excited to try this out!!

Dana from TX on November 19th, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Cannot wait!!!!!

Diane on November 19th, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Still 310 days away from my voyage on the Dream! Darn! That seems so long…I can’t wait!!!!

Paul from IL on November 19th, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I cannot wait until we get to try it!

Terry from SC on November 19th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

We can’t wait! We go on the Disney Dream Feb 13th. My kids already started a countdown! This will be our first cruise.

Lisa from SC on November 19th, 2010 at 12:40 pm

6 1/2 months is too long for me to wait for our Dream cruise!!! Aqua Duck is calling me!!!!!

Barbara from PA on November 19th, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Wow!!! Looks like a lot of fun. Can’t wait to ride on our upcoming cruise in May!!
Jonathan, I am soooo jealous!!!! You have a GREAT job!!!
Disney is the GREATEST!!!!!

Helena on November 19th, 2010 at 1:03 pm

WOW! Looks like so much fun! So glad you’re sharing this with us! Great to see Rachel again!!

Donna from FL on November 19th, 2010 at 1:04 pm

We’ll be on the Disney Dream Inaugural Cruise. Thanksgiving is next week. Then before you know it comes Christmas. Only 1 week after that is 2011. We’ll be sailing to Nassau, Bahamas & Castaway Cay Bahamas.

We usually do the longer cruise to the Caribbean. We’ll be joining friends & are just so anxious to see these 2 new ships. We’re already ‘booked’ on the Inaugural cruise of the Disney Fantasy on
April 7, 2011. I also can’t wait to see the expansion, additions, & changes there.

We leave in just 68 days. That’s Jan. 26, 2011. Quoting a Christmas song, “I can hardly stand the wait!.” The photos & videos of this ship, lounges, spas, & restaurants look awesome. The Disney departments responsible for everything on board are really extremely imaginative. Their attention to every detail, no matter how minute is breath taking.

Then again, we expect nothing less from Disney. Everything is inviting, exceptional, beautiful, unique, & just absolutely awesome. I have enjoyed marvelous spa experiences beyond compare on board. Every cruise staff member is helpful, courteous, friendly, & knowledgeable.

The theatres & performances will be wonderful, I’m sure. The fireworks are another spectacle that only Disney can provide on a cruise liner. This will be our 9th cruise. My husband & I wouldn’t even consider cruising on any other cruise line.

We live in Celebration. I call Walt Disney World “my extended back yard.” It’s only a 10 min. drive to the theme parks. I guess we’re “Disney fanatics!”

The fact that Aqua Duck is on a Cruise Liner & is 2 stories from beginning to end is I’m sure something spectacular! The idea of being ‘pushed up’ after going down ‘into a valley,’ makes it sound a lot like Crush’r Gusher in the Typhoon Lagoon Water Park. Altho’ that water tube ride is a lot shorter & it doesn’t take you out over an ocean.

Jan. 26, 2011 can’t come soon enough. I just know we’ll be enjoying this experience more than on the smaller Disney Magic or Disney Wonder. The “pictures are worth a thousand words.”

Gregory from TN on November 19th, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Okay, I’ll say it, Wow! Can hardly wait to be scared of heights!

alberto on November 19th, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Awwww i wanna go!!`

Emily from IN on November 19th, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Our family is counting down the days until our cruise january 26 cant come fast enough thanks so much and keep up on the blog posts. Thanks.

Dana from NJ on November 19th, 2010 at 3:58 pm

February 27, 2011 I am so there! It looks like so much fun. I wonder how long the wait times will be though. I bet everyone on the boat will want to try it.

Rikki on November 19th, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Only 211 days left until our cruise and we are already gearing up to race each other to get to ride it first! :)

TRACEY from TX on November 20th, 2010 at 7:09 am

Woot! 67 days until I will be on The Dreams maiden voyage, and only 66 days until my Disney Fairytale Wedding. Honeymooning aboard The Dreams first voyage, life is good!

Andisha on November 20th, 2010 at 7:12 am

Awesome, Awesome AWESOME, and I LOVE your job too, how does one go about even getting a job like that? Disney Parks blogging seems amazing.

Tony from CA on November 20th, 2010 at 8:54 am

I’m in love with Rachel Quinn hehe cute lady riding it. =)

Carole from FL on November 20th, 2010 at 10:06 am

Had to watch this 3 times…….SO FAR! This is going to be so much fun! What a terrific idea to put on the ship BUT……………If it is a good fun idea……..DISNEY WILL MAKE IT REALITY !
As usual folks……………….GREAT JOB !
Can’t wait to sail April 2011

Salvador on November 20th, 2010 at 11:50 am

This ship sets sail on my birthday, it looks wonderful

Cynthia on November 21st, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Can hardly wait to ride the duck in March!!!

Jason on November 22nd, 2010 at 9:56 am

502 days til my trip on the Fantasy Maiden voyage! SOOOO ready now!

Michael from NY on December 16th, 2010 at 9:01 pm

The videos show people riding solo, while the rendering shows two people per raft….When it opens to the public will it be only one person on a two person raft? or can two people ride?

yay maiden voyage!