Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Finishing Touches: Disney Dream

posted on December 27th, 2010 by Kent Phillips, Photographer, Walt Disney World

Have you ever watched a gifted artist apply the finishing brushstrokes to a beautiful painting and seen a masterpiece come to life before your eyes? I experienced the maritime equivalent this month as I spent two weeks living on the Disney Dream in Bremerhaven, Germany, just before it began crossing the Atlantic on the way to its new home in Florida.

Finishing Touches Aboard the Disney Dream

From the moment Disney Cruise Line officially took delivery of the Disney Dream on December 9th, the changes throughout the ship were rapid and astonishing. Every morning I’d walk the decks and see breathtaking new details that weren’t there the day before. The level of energy and focus by everyone on board is amazing. Crew, Imagineers, craftsmen and tradesmen of all sorts are working like crazy to bring the ship to life.

Finishing Touches Aboard the Disney Dream

I shot some of these details as they caught my eye. I hope they’ll tide you over until the ship reaches Port Canaveral on January 4th. When it gets there I, and a lot of others, will be waiting anxiously to see it pull in.

With any luck the airlines will have found my luggage by then.

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

30 Comments 1 Reply

Jason on December 27th, 2010 at 11:05 am

Awesome music.
Can’t wait to see this beautiful ship in February.

Merrill on December 27th, 2010 at 11:19 am

Beautiful!! I can’t wait to book a trip!

Kirsten from Jersey on December 27th, 2010 at 11:23 am

Wow some lovely photos. I’m a photographer onboard P&O UK Cruiseline. I’d love to work on the Disney Dream though it looks wonderful.

Edmund from FL on December 27th, 2010 at 11:24 am

We’ll be there on the 4th also. Good luck with the luggage, Kent. But if we see a photog skulking around in dirty, wrinkled clothes, we’ll know who you are. ;-)

Michael from MN on December 27th, 2010 at 11:39 am

Where is the music from? I seem to remember the music being amazing on the last photo update as well, if you can share the names of both pieces, that would be awesome!

Kent Phillips on December 27th, 2010 at 1:57 pm

The music for this is “Heartfelt Hero” by William Lincoln. The music for the original Lensbaby slide show was “Tomorrow at Daybreak” by Mark Petrie. It’s hard to overstate how much great music like this adds when putting together projects such as these.

Matthew from NY on December 27th, 2010 at 11:39 am

Great Job!!! She appears to be quite the lady and I cannot wait to book!!!

Michelle from TX on December 27th, 2010 at 11:53 am

Our countdown has begun. So excited for our March Trip!! Can’t wait to see it up close and put the camera in the kids hand.

elizabeth from FL on December 27th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

AHHH I can’t wait to see it in person. Only a few more weeks :D :D :D

Tiffany on December 27th, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Love these Lens Baby shots! If you are looking for a Disney-obsessed photographer/videographer for her, feel free to let me know. She’s become my new obsession!

Robert from FL on December 27th, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Will Disney be releasing information for those of us who want to be at Port Canaveral as the Disney Dream arrives? I mean information like parking, timing, directions, etc. I really hope so because I know this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

Kimberly from FL on December 27th, 2010 at 3:47 pm

It looks so beautiful! I can’t wait til Jan. 26th to see it all in person. It’s been such a long wait, but it will be worth it to see the end result!

Margaret from TX on December 27th, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Kent, this is so gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Barbara from CA on December 27th, 2010 at 8:07 pm

April cannot come soon enough. Pictures are wonderful, but the real thing must be awesome!!

Stuart from MI on December 27th, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Love the pics – where’s Admiral Donald, though? :)

Phil on December 27th, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I love the ending, with Mickey and Walt, that was truly heart touching, what a great man he was…can’t wait to take my cruise on the Dream!

Lori on December 27th, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Thanks for this sneak peak. Can’t wait to set sail in less than a month!! I’m more excited than the kids!

Jason on December 27th, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I am sailing on the Magic on January 8th – will the Dream be docked in Port Canaveral? Do you think I will see her there?

Wendy from CA on December 27th, 2010 at 8:48 pm

this seems like an opportunity andan adventure to be given to those that stilldont belive that others hav an account. the opportunity to be hrer ane enjoy the diseywey.Didsny
Disney is a visin that has been addng contributions toallow us ordinary folks that abiblity tp learnth magic that disne y has to offer. i look forwad to the magic. this is fpr ,my little ones that beleive in the fantasies created for them. give the tin =to capture each other, but its’ throuhg theirstonghold thst this will grow and b enchanting.

”””’
t

can concquer the sees nd lers

Manuel on December 27th, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Wanderful pictures and lovly music. It’s the little details that make the Disney difference and I can see there are a lot of little details. Can’t wait to get on.

Michelle from CO on December 27th, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Someone needs to release a book with all the pictures from the first steel cutting, to the setting sail of the Maiden Voyage and ALL the details in between. There are so many pictures that I want, but can’t get since I’m not there…

I can’t WAIT to see in on January 26th…I will probably cry!

Veronica from FL on December 27th, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Such beautiful photos – I know I will not sleep the first night on board – Counting down to Jan 26, 2011!!!

Jeremy from CA on December 27th, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Al of a sudden, I started drooling!!!!! It looks GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

DARYL from BC on December 27th, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Beautiful! One day….

Maryjane from NY on December 28th, 2010 at 9:20 am

The details that are emerging are just fantastic…..your work is beautiful!! Also can’t wait to experience her in person in January…..getting more and more excited when each new tidbit of the ship is revealed!!! We are lucky enough to be on one of the preview cruises as well as the MV and the Jan 30th cruise and just can’t contain myself!!!

Brian from PA on December 28th, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Christmas Gift for my wife – we’re booked for October 24th and can’t wait to see it all! We celebrated our 25th Anniversar, this year, on the Wonder for our very first cruise! What a good time!

Donna on December 29th, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Hubby & I are lucky enough to be on the Cast Preview voyage, benefiting the Central Florida Boys & Girls’ Club! 1/21 & 22!! Can’t wait!!!! Having cruised on the Wonder & the Magic, I will look at all the new details with even more awe!!

DANA from NC on December 29th, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Taking my mother and mother-in-law and dads over mother’s day next year with our kids. Cannot wait. It is a truly spectacular ship.

Kim from DE on December 30th, 2010 at 11:04 am

Can’t wait for my very first cruise and it will be on the Disney Dream! Unfortunately it won’t be until Sept 2012! The ship looks awesome!

Lucy from CA on January 2nd, 2011 at 12:22 am

Love the pictures and music! She is quite a Beautiful ship we can’t wait to see her, booked in May…seem so long. Love to see pictures once she in Florida. Happy New Year Dream :}

Justine on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I can’t wait to introduce myself to her on March 3rd!!! SO excited!