Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Stretch Painting

In Focus: Disney Dream

posted on December 9th, 2010 by Kent Phillips, Photographer, Walt Disney World

I’m very lucky to have made five trips in the last two years to help document the construction of the Disney Dream – watching it go from the first plate of raw steel in 2009 to a magnificent, nearly finished ship as Disney Cruise Line officially takes delivery of this gem during a ceremony today in Germany.

And every time I come back to the ship, even if it’s only been a week since my last trip (or two weeks in this case), I’m amazed by how much has changed.

Donald Duck Aboard the Disney Dream

Recently, just for kicks, I brought a fun little gadget with me, a low-tech camera lens that can skew the plane of focus and give photos an almost toy-camera quality. I played around as I walked the ship and used it to shoot some of the fun new details that caught my eye.

This little slideshow definitely isn’t a comprehensive look at the Disney Dream, it’s more like a teaser of what’s to come.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

23 Comments 1 Reply

Joey on December 9th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Walt must be proud!

Anita from ON on December 9th, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Beautiful pictures! I can’t wait to board the ship for the first time! :)

Brianna from TX on December 9th, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Those pictures are fantastic! What camera did you use, exactly?

Kent Phillips on December 10th, 2010 at 11:58 am

The camera is actually a lens called a Lensbaby . The current equivalent of the older version I used is called the Muse, and it allows you to manipulate an image’s focus by bending, compressing or stretching a flexible lens bellows. It’s a low-cost, low-tech gadget that’s a lot of fun to play with and is available for a number of different camera makes.

Tacey from ON on December 9th, 2010 at 1:08 pm

This is the first time I have cried thinking about a Disney Cruise. I am so excited that because of the kindness of others, I’ll be on this ship within it’s first month of operation. WooHoo!!!!

Alisha from UT on December 9th, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Fantastic! We’re going on the Dream in October and love every update about it! As a photography, I love those pictures! Do you mind sharing what kind of camera you used? Also, great music!

Alisha from UT on December 9th, 2010 at 1:08 pm

*photographer, not photography!

Julianne from MD on December 9th, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Absolutely beautiful pictures! Can’t wait to see the Dream in person!!

Danielle on December 9th, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Amazing pictures!! Can’t wait to see it in person on our very first Disney Cruise aboard the Dream on January 3rd 2012!!!

Sheryl on December 9th, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Can you please please let me know what music this is and if I can buy it? It is GREAT! So were the pictures! I can’t wait to one-day get on another cruise :)

Lauryn on December 9th, 2010 at 2:19 pm

This looks so great! I was one of four families that won the maiden voyage trip for this ship! To be the first ones on it will be amazing!!

Jeremy from CA on December 9th, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Wow! So exciting!!! As I watched this video, I tried to figure out what draws me to all things Disney – particularly the the Cruises. I think it has to do with the total immersion, the complete and utter trust that during time spent on a Disney Cruise, everything will be okay. I can’t wait until the next one!

Donna on December 9th, 2010 at 3:03 pm

The photos definitely have a dream-like quality, a perfect tease!

Eric on December 9th, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Great shots as always, and love getting all of these sneak peaks at the Disney Dream! Looks like the shots were taken with a lensbaby…

Jean from MA on December 9th, 2010 at 6:17 pm

It brought a tear to my eye, the photos and the music were so well done. We really enjoyed it….Can’t wait to see the rest….

Colleen from VA on December 9th, 2010 at 8:25 pm

250 days until we sail the Dream! CANNOT wait – this was a great slide show, just enough of a tease.
And LOVE the music!! What was it, and can it be found someplace for download?

Kent from FL on December 9th, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Thats my dad! He is still in germany and this is making me and my family smile so much! Beautiful pictures! We are so proud! Love you daddy! :-)

Michelle on December 9th, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I would absolutely love to see a book on the maiden voyage that chronicles the building of this ship. I can’t WAIT to board on January 26th!

Chris from CA on December 10th, 2010 at 2:06 am

I <3 Tilt-Shift photography.

Carole from FL on December 10th, 2010 at 8:45 am

OH THIS LITTLE PEEK A BOO VIDEO JUST KEEPS ON BUILDING THE LUMP IN THE THROAT. OH THAT CHANDELIER IS GOING TO BE SO BEAUTIFUL TO SEE.
I CANNOT WAIT FOR APRIL AND ALSO WANT TO KNOW WHEN THE DREAM IS TO FIRTS ARRIVE AT PORT CANAVERAL. WANT TO RIDE UP TO SEE HER SAIL IN FROM THE NEQARBY PARK.

128 DAYS BEFORE WE GO AGAIN. AT MY AGE HATE TO WISH DAYS AWAY…………BUT………..CAN’T HELP IT!
LOOKS JUST FANTASTIC D.C.L.

Emily from IN on December 10th, 2010 at 2:39 pm

thanks so much for posting this video i love it:), but it makes my wait to get on the ship almost unbearable

Joseph from FL on December 10th, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Definitely brought a tear to my eye. Can’t wait to see the new girl. may have to show up on Day 1 when she comes into port.

kyle on December 10th, 2010 at 8:35 pm

This is an amazing video! I can not wait to see the dream in person, I’m so excited! And all the videos of her just builds up the excitement so keep them coming!

David from CA on December 13th, 2010 at 4:03 am

Video does not work. I get sound but just a green for the ppicture. All my other videos work, from others sites and youtube.