Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

New Year’s Eve 2010 at Disneyland Resort

posted on December 21st, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Fireworks at the Disneyland Resort

I’ve always thought that New Year’s Eve is a tricky holiday to celebrate. If I stay home, I’ll just fall asleep, so in the past, I’ve opted to host or go out to one place for the evening.

If you’re like me and have trouble thinking of a New Year’s plan, you might consider celebrating at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure parks on New Year’s Eve. This year, there will be special entertainment added to the traditional holiday fireworks in Disneyland park and the spectacular new “World of Color” show in Disney California Adventure park.

In Disneyland park, hours are extended to 2 a.m., and stages will be set up around the park for countdown festivities. DJs will encourage guests to dance into the new year at Sleeping Beauty Castle and small world Promenade while live bands will liven up Tomorrowland Terrace, Carnation Plaza Gardens and New Orleans Square, which will also be the site of three performances of “Fantasmic!” at 9 and 10:15 p.m. and immediately following the midnight “Fantasy in the Sky” New Year’s fireworks show.

At Disney California Adventure, where park hours are extended to 1 a.m., there will be special entertainment along the Paradise Pier boardwalk and a “fountains and fireworks” countdown to midnight in Paradise Park, immediately followed by the first “World of Color” show of 2011. (Earlier New Year’s Eve performances of “World of Color” will take place at 8 and 9:15 p.m.) In Hollywood Pictures Backlot, revelers on the grid in “ElecTRONica” will heat up throughout the night and into the new year.

Beginning at 6 p.m. New Year’s Eve, party hats and noisemakers will be available while supplies last in both Disneyland, at the Festival Arena near Big Thunder Ranch, and Disney California Adventure park, in Condor Flats near the vintage airplane just west of the entrance to Soarin’ Over California.

The Downtown Disney District and the Disneyland Resort hotels will join in the merriment with twinkling lights and ornaments, special entertainment and holiday dining.

Let us know if you’re planning to ring in the New Year with us.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Amy on December 21st, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Sadly not this year. While I love the excitement, it is just much too crowded. More so than times square!

Roger on December 21st, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I will definitely celebrating at Disneyland!! It’s a great place to celebrate and being with great friends makes it more memorable!!

Armando from AZ on December 21st, 2010 at 6:05 pm

My wife and I were just talking about making it a new Holiday tradition for our family to bring in the New Year @ Disneyland. Can’t wait!

Amy on December 21st, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I will be there!

Kimberly from CA on December 21st, 2010 at 6:37 pm

absolutely… 4th year in a row!!

Penny from CA on December 21st, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Our family will be there! Shhhh…. don’t tell our kids though, they don’t know! It is their Christmas gift, and they have no idea.

Evan on December 21st, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Suburban Legends at Tomorrowland Terrace! It wouldn’t be New Year’s at Disneyland without third wave ska!

Joanne on December 21st, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Yes! Me and my little sis will be there!

Jamie on December 21st, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I wish I still had my AP. :(

joshua from CA on December 21st, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I am for the very first time :) i can wait …..who know maybe ill see ya there heather??

Heather Hust Rivera on December 22nd, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I won’t be there this year, but I know you’ll have a blast!

Mario on December 21st, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I be there first thing in the morning till it closes :) …but if it rains will they still throw the fireworks??

Jesse on December 21st, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Will be there on Christmas day and new years eve till 2am!!! Going to be great!!! Can not wait!

Laura on December 21st, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Our 1st time at Disneyland for Christmas. Cannot wait! I know it will be crowded but hopefully well worth it.

Janette from CA on December 21st, 2010 at 9:44 pm

My boyfriend and I have been together for 8 years, but we’ve NEVER spent NYE together. This will be our very first and what better place to be than DISNEYLAND! We call this our year of Disney because we’ve been 4 times AND visited the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. We are expecting the crowds, but we know that it will definitely be worth it (as always)! Also, we are very much looking forward to lunch at Blue Bayou and our Picnic Meal with Reserved Viewing for World of Color! Can’t wait!!

stacy on December 21st, 2010 at 10:30 pm

My husband and I, along with our good friends will be spending our 11 New Years Eve at the Disneyland Resort this year. We have a couple of other friends that are going to join in on our tradition :)Yes it is absolutely CROWDED, but that’s all part of the experience, just go into it knowing that and it’s all good!

Troy on December 21st, 2010 at 11:46 pm

My husband and I will be there!! We are very excited to spend our first New Years at Disneyland. I cannot even recall what we did last year. Disney will be a memory that we will never forget. The lights! The excitement! The laughter! =)

Fred from CA on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:08 am

I think its an awesome idea that California Adventure will be using the World of Color fountains as part of the countdown to midnight.

I don’t think that I’ll be able to be there on New Years though.

Eric on December 22nd, 2010 at 11:43 am

I am strongly considering it. If I can get my bf to agree, I will be there.

adam on December 22nd, 2010 at 11:45 am

I will definitely be celebrating with the parks. Semi torn btwn which park to choose but it will probably be DCA due to my obsession with World of Color ….hahaha still going to visit DL after WOC for sure….maybe say hi to my boss while im there (Mickey)

Heather Hust Rivera on December 22nd, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Adam, another reason to visit Disney California Adventure park for New Year’s Eve is the party over at ElecTRONica. That sounds pretty fun to me.

rachel on December 22nd, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I have a question for you Heather.
My family and I have been to Disneyland all different times of the year except Christmas.
We are thinking about going next Christmas.
When is the least crowded time to go when the holiday decorations are up.
We would stay for 7 days.

Robby on December 22nd, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I will be there!!! First time celebrating New Years at the resort!!! Looking forward to it! But I am really concerned about the rain…what happens if it’s pouring down rain??? I’m so worried I won’t be able to see any of the entertainment offerings next weekend. We are going the 30th – 3rd.

BRITTNEY from CA on December 22nd, 2010 at 8:11 pm

First time ever in the park. My husband and I will be celebrating Christmas and New Years on New Years Eve. (Husband had to work Christmas week -military-)! Can’t wait!

Rene on December 22nd, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Can’t wait! I’ll be there with my family for sure. I been planning this since last year. BTW how early do you think we should be there I know it must get to capacity so you need to get a hand stamp early right?

Christopher from UT on December 23rd, 2010 at 11:56 am

We’ll be there too! Still looking for a creative way to surprise my family Christmas morning with it. Any ideas?

Thomas on December 23rd, 2010 at 10:32 pm

New Year’s Eve can be terribly hectic at Disneyland, but with proper planning and a good attitude, you can have a great time.
First and foremost, be aware that Disneyland is likely to completely book out by mid afternoon. If you plan on attending, COME EARLY and do not leave the Park. Even hotel guests will be refused readmission once the Aneheim Fire Department and Park management close the gates.
Don’t expect to ride or visit too many attractions. The lines will be crazy long for everything right up until 11PM or so, when crowds start to gather for the big countdown.
Take advantage of those FastPasses!
There will be folks camping out as soon as the Park opens in front of the castle for evening fireworks.
Keep yourself hydrated. Don’t let the cooler weather fool you, it can be mighty dry in Anaheim that time of year. Each ‘land’ has water fountains, and of course there are several outdoor vending locations for purchasing bottled water.
New years hats and noise makers are provided for several tens of thousands guests, but supplies are still limited. If you have your heart set on a hat and noisemaker, get into line up by Big Thunder Ranch EARLY. I believe distribution is set to begin at 6:30 this year.
Try and remember to observe all directions offered by Cast Members. They have been very well trained for the excessive crowd flow, and only have safety for all in mind.
I know I’ll be out there with my wife and daughter first thing in the morning and am already looking forward to a bright 2011! See you all there!

gayle from CA on December 25th, 2010 at 2:04 am

Hi Heather! If you want to see the midnight World of Color Showing, how do you arrange for that? I know how the Fast Passes work for the regular showings as well as the Reserved Seating that comes with some of the restaurants and the boxed picnics, having done all of them, but how will the New Year’s Eve seating work? Thanks and happiest of holidays!

Christine on December 25th, 2010 at 3:41 pm

You make reservations at Ariels or Trattoria and ask for the seating that includes the midnight show. I did, and am really looking forward to it!!

Skip from FL on December 26th, 2010 at 10:02 pm

#1 – Amy
WDW (Magic Kingdom) is also crowded; having seen them directing cars to park outside of their massive parking lot in front of the toll plaza at 7:00 p.m.

jasmine on December 27th, 2010 at 2:07 am

Heather, Do you know if there will be radio stations broadcasting from DL or DCA? If there are which ones and where?

Regina on December 28th, 2010 at 11:05 am

If you have a premium annual pass are guaranteed admittance if show up around 6pm?

Marisela from CA on December 29th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Do you know what bands will be plaing a D-Land on New Year’s Eve?

Tony on December 29th, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Will Suburban Legends be playing on New Years Eve?

Cecil on December 30th, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Sweet can’t wait for the celebration :)

Rebecca from CA on December 31st, 2010 at 1:26 am

I will be there! woohoo!

Noelle on December 31st, 2010 at 1:45 am

I want to go but am so scared to see if it’s gonna be a crowded disaster??!!

Vanessa on December 31st, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I went to DCA last year for New Years and I had a blast. It wasnt crowded at all during the day. Everybody was at disneyland. DCA started getting crowded once the 9pm fireworks at Disneyland were over. The music was awesome. I felt like I was at Club DCA. I wish I was going again this year. Hope everyone has a great New Years!!