Disney Cruise Line

Take a Peek Backstage in Costuming at Disneyland Resort

posted on December 29th, 2010 by Betsy Sanchez, Manager of Media Relations, Disneyland Resort

How many costumes have you seen at Disneyland Resort? Ok, stop counting! The answer is that we have more than 800 costumes and a fabulous team that is charged with keeping them in perfect shape. Our many costumes are a part of what brings each land to life – they are an important piece of telling each and every story. Today we’re introducing you to our costuming cast members and taking a behind-the-scenes peek at the work they do – from sorting to stitching and more. Check out the video below to hear from Debi Ashley, a cast member and costuming lead with more than 19 years of experience.

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disneyland Resort

Melissa on December 29th, 2010 at 3:02 pm

How great is this? We were just in the park before Christmas having a conversation about this very detail. We love how great every cast member looks!

Jessica from NH on December 29th, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Great Job!! Really interesting to see anything behind-the-scenes! Do cast members change “costumes” during a typical shift? If so, up to how many times?

Jennifer on December 29th, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Very cool! Its fun to see the behind the scenes stuff.

Bea on December 29th, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Awesome video…thanks for sharing! Good to see the backstage folks getting some well deserved credit.

amy on December 29th, 2010 at 4:06 pm

@Jessica: only if you need to change locations during your shift other than that, you are given your schedule with location so you know which costumes to stock up on for the week.

amy on December 29th, 2010 at 4:07 pm

awesome to see that these videos make it out to the public now. it gives the cast members well deserved credit for upholding the Disney image.

Ana on December 29th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

This is my DREAM JOB!!!! I’ve been sewing and creating clothing for over 40 years, and when I “retire” I’d love to make my home with the “family” at Disney Costuming!!

Lindsey on December 29th, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Yay! I was waiting for a costuming video. I would love to work costumes for Disneyland one day :D

webster on December 30th, 2010 at 7:31 am

Do the costumes used in the shows and parades also get stored and processed through this system. I’m just wondering because there are so few costumes for each particular parade performer (position) that I was wondering if those costumes get special treatment.

mark on December 30th, 2010 at 8:37 am

I like these videos although i must say, the disney alot of the cast costumes in the video look pretty generic and “store bought”.

Krista on December 30th, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I love the behind the scene info and videos! Thanks for sharing them!

Bret on December 30th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Wow, what an amazing production you have for processing and storing all your costumes, they always look so nice when we visit Disneyland. Who would think that there was so much going on behind the scene, thanks for the video.

Jake from CA on December 31st, 2010 at 3:22 am

That’s me at 1:29! In the FIFA shirt! Awesome :).

Daniel from CA on January 2nd, 2011 at 12:27 am

“Sniff, sniff….”

FORMER C.M. HERE!! :-D

I am actually working at another, very high quality theme park where costuming is just as important.
Our backstage costume area is also huge, and that same attention to detail is applied in every way.

It was quite awesome seeing Debi explain what they do in this manner. I am not sure how often guests think about the proper show theming, however, if everyone wore the same thing, it would definitely stand out!

This is yet another reason why I truly love Disney! They CHOOSE to highlight these things, to bring this kind of education to the public.

THAT WAY, when you DO spend all that money on your ticket, you have an even greater idea of where it is going to!

WELL DONE!

Friend on January 3rd, 2011 at 1:38 pm

My girlfriend used to work at the Walt Disney Story in the late 70′s early 80′s and I remember what a “Great Costume” she had for that attraction. I wondered where do the old costumes go that are retired when a show retires?

Aaron from OR on January 5th, 2011 at 5:33 pm

More of this! Love the backstage stuff.

Maria from CA on January 7th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

This is so cool..thanks!

Andrew from CA on January 7th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Awww that’s my friend Stephanie at 0:45! Probably one of the happiest Cast Members you’ll ever meet. I love Costuming… it’s always nice to check out a brand new costume to wear for the day!

Darryl on January 7th, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Wow. I remember working at the Park when it was a centralized window system and costuming cast members went back to get you your required costume pieces in the building just behind the Walt Disney Story… times have certainly changed.

I’ll second the sentiment that the CM expressed, though — working for Disney is wonderful. You form a unique family bond with all of your fellow area Cast Members — a bond that I still treasure and find active via outlets like Facebook, even over 10 years after I stopped working for the Mouse. :-)

Erin from BC on January 7th, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Backstage Castmembers are just as important as the show castmembers. I thank everyone for the wonderful dedication in their jobs to make our visit so wonderful and appriciated.

Kimberly from CA on January 7th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Yes! This was a great way to keep things tidy. I worked there for a Summer a few years back and remember all of these things and it was so easy to do. You would have to get there an hour before work to make sure you are on time but it makes it ALOT easier to have this at your fingertips. There are dressing rooms in the building so if something doesn’t fit they will go get it for you. It was wonderful, it almost did feel like you were in a starring role when someone gets your clothes and helps dress you ;) I do want to go back to work there one day because it was always so interesting no days were the same. Keep up the good work Cast Costuming!

Emily on January 7th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I love that Disney doesn’t mess around, they do it up right, to the little detail. That’s why I make the 6 hour trek with the kids 4 times a year!!

Lisa on January 8th, 2011 at 10:39 am

WOWOW!How huge and orderly the costuming department is!
I really think Disneyland is another EXPO like EXPO2010 Shanghai.
I love the costumes and the uniforms I tried in the expo.
Wish one day I could wear the DISNEY costumes in Shanghai.