Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Time-Lapse Video: 17-Foot Disney Gingerbread Tree

posted on December 7th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Here’s one of those “must sees” I talk about this time of year. Nestled right in the Grand Canyon Concourse of Disney’s Contemporary Resort is an amazing 17-foot gingerbread tree decorated with chocolate ornaments and candy canes.

The 17-Foot Gingerbread Tree at Disney's Contemporary Resort

To build it, we use nearly 5,000 shingles and more than 1,000 pounds of honey. And while it takes 3 days to decorate, here’s a look at how it’s done in about a minute.

Take a look at everything we used to create it this season:

• 1,050 pounds of honey
  • 800 pounds of flour
  • 600 pounds of powdered sugar
  • 35 pounds of spices
  • 600 pounds of chocolate
  • 180 pounds of apricot glaze

Later this month, Jennifer will have a look at some of the other special creations, including our Ginormous Gingerbread House at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. In the meantime, let us know about your favorite holiday treat.

Filed: Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

melissa on December 7th, 2010 at 12:43 pm

That is so amazing!! I will be there next Dec (2011) with my whole family for the first time during the holidays and we are so excited to see all the decorations. Great job Disney :>

ellen on December 7th, 2010 at 1:11 pm

WOW!! I’ll get to see it in person next week for my 40th birthday and I can’t wait. Thanks for posting, Thomas, and keep the suggestions for “must sees” coming!!

Emily from TN on December 7th, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Absolutely beautiful! All the gingerbread creations at Disney World amaze me!! Would love to go again at Christmas time!

Chris from DE on December 7th, 2010 at 3:25 pm

That’s great. I won’t see it this Christmas, but maybe next year.

Megan from TX on December 7th, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I always wondered- what do they do with all the gingerbread they decorate with after Christmas? We’ll be there to see the magic in just a few days!

Dorinda on December 7th, 2010 at 4:13 pm

We’re also going in Dec 2011 and I’m really looking forward to seeing the tree, giant gingerbread house, etc.

Karen on December 7th, 2010 at 8:23 pm

#7 – Another great job by the masters of confection!! We were at WDW last year at this same time and had a great time visiting the various properties that had the incredible gingerbread displays!!

My personal favorite is the HUGE gingerbread house/gift shop at the Grand Floridian!! I love Victorian architecture and there was never a time that the little shop didn’t have a mile long line to get up to it, except of course, when it was CLOSED!!

Kudos to all those hard working pastry chefs!! They really make the resorts look like Christmas!!

Leslie on December 7th, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! We were there last week and every time we went by this my daughter and I would talk about how amazing it is. It really is great! Love all the holiday decorations at Disney!

David from IL on December 7th, 2010 at 10:34 pm

We stayed at the Contemporary Nov. 29th – Dec. 30th. The gingerbread tree was unbelievable. The parks looked great with all of the decorations. Our second time going the week after Thanksgiving. There is no better time to be at the parks than the holiday season.

Stephanie from WI on December 7th, 2010 at 11:16 pm

We were actually there when they were working on it…it was really cool to watch!!!!

Erin from RI on December 8th, 2010 at 8:01 am

I am sure the concourse smells amazing with all of that gingerbread. I hope they had samples available for sale. I would certainly buy a shingle for the tasting if I were lucky enough to be there for the holidays!

Sarah from FL on December 8th, 2010 at 8:20 am

Nice tree and awesome video. I love a well-made time-lapse video.

Kelly from ON on December 8th, 2010 at 11:34 am

We were just in WDW last week, and saw the house at the Grand Floridian, but we didn’t know about this tree!!
Wish this was posted 1 week earlier! Would have loved to see it!
There is always next year!!

Kelsey on December 9th, 2010 at 10:37 pm

This was so much fun to watch! The gingerbread tree itself is amazing, but the filming and the accompanying music were just hilarious. Thanks for posting.