Fireworks at Disneyland Park

What’s Best About Walt Disney World During the Holidays?

posted on December 24th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

We’re smack dab in the middle of one of my favorite times of the year at the parks. Our holiday lights alone are amazing. We have 8.5 million of them strung throughout the Walt Disney World Resort and then there’s the decorations. But if you ask what’s best, that’s tough. So, we went into the parks and asked some guests to share what they most enjoy about this time of year.

Great gloves, huh? Now, it’s your turn. Let us know what you enjoy most about Walt Disney World this time of year in the comments.

Filed: Walt Disney World Resort

Deborah on December 24th, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I just returned from the Walt Disney World with my husband and Grandchildren. I know first hand what it is like to be at the parks, downtown Disney, and at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.

It is so very special this time of year because everybody is so very happy. Even the mom and dads, and same with the grandparents and great grandparents. Standing in line to get our picture taken I spoke to a grandmother that received an early Christmas gift in a form of an airplane ticket to Orlando to join her family and grandchildren to Disney World. She was still in shock and that was three days into the visit.

All the worries are left behind, all you see are smiles and it is spreading through out the entire grounds.

Thank you Disney for allowing the children to be children, the parents to be children, and us grandparents to wear our funny hads and act like children at such a wonderful time of the year. :-)

CHRIS on December 24th, 2010 at 2:25 pm

There is nothing better to get in the Christmas spirit, then spending a Night at Disney World Very Merry Christmas. Thank You and Love It !!!

Cathy from OH on December 24th, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I LOVE the Candlelight Processional at Epcot. It brings the meaning of Christmas to all. Thank you so much for putting on such a wonderful production. I also enjoy the Osborne Lights. They are phenomenal.

Richard from LA on December 24th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Same as any time of the year: I enjoy the Adventurers Club. Please reopen it. Kungaloosh!

Dan from CA on December 25th, 2010 at 10:51 am

Oh wow… where to start!! I would have to say my absolute favorite is the WDW Resorts. Each resort is decorated in it’s own special way, with it’s own theme, that makes it more unique then anything seen in any of the parks. From the golden lights, ribbons and ornaments of the treea at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, the huge tree and stone fireplace to match at Wilderness Lodge, and the smell of an entire village made of white chocolate at the Beach Club (I believe), to the giant Gingerbread tree and wreath(the biggest ‘hidden Mickey’ I’ve ever seen!) and of course the sights and smells at the beautifully decorated Grand Floridian Hotel with a REAL life-sided (smaller scale) Gingerbread House you can not only walk up and in to, and smell, but you can buy a piece and EAT it too!

Going resort hopping is not only fun, and completely FREE, but I feel it’s an essential part of visiting WDW during Christmas time.

My wife Laura and I love the parks as well of course… I would say our favorite night time Christmas activity would be strolling World Showcase at Epcot while sipping Hot Chocolate and Hot Spiced Cider while reading about and seeing (and hearing) the traditions and Santas of every country. WOW!!

Oh, I have to add that year-round, we LOVE shopping the DTD Christmas Shop. As well, we always enjoy playing mini-gold at the Winter Summerland/ Summer Winterland courses near Blizzard Beach!

Ha! You see? I try to pick “one” favorite, and I can’t! What’s NOT too love about ANY part of the WDW complex during the Holidays! We LOVE IT ALL!! :-)

Amanda on December 25th, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Those gloves ARE awesome! Rock it mister! lol And have a VERY Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Michael on December 26th, 2010 at 11:56 am

We love the whole experience of Disney at Christmas. The entire WDW resort is just alive with Christmas sprit. With the different decorations in each of the resort to the life-size gingerbread houses. There is so much detail that Disney puts in everything it does. We just love it!

We stay at the Fort wilderness Campground for the 2 weeks before Christmas every year and it is so much fun for us and the kids. Between all the campers decorating all the campsites (us included), to the Golf cart parades. This is a Christmas tradition that we love to be able to share with our kids.

Gayle from IN on December 27th, 2010 at 6:42 pm

We’ve been to WDW in Dec. many times. The top of our list is:
1. Castle Dream Lights. Really, it is the most beautiful thing on the planet to me! It takes my breath away & brings on the tears!
2. Resort Holiday Decor. The parks and hotels are overrun with lushness that is to be admired. We are reminded of the holidays everywhere we look. It takes that “Disney feeling” to a whole new level! One of our favorites is the campsites at Ft. Wilderness. This is especially touching, since it is built by dedicated guests. We also love “our carousel” at the Beach Club.
3. Holiday scents – cinnamon, sugar, roasted chestnuts, etc. It’s like living in a bakery (especially when we stay at the Boardwalk)!
4. The spirit. Guest Service is maxed out during this season. We feel the giving & joyous spirit 24/7!