Disneyland Monorail

A Different Look at King Arthur Carrousel at Disneyland Park

posted on January 31st, 2011 by Paul Hiffmeyer, Chief Photographer for Public Relations, Disneyland Resort

When I went out to get night shots (would you believe it was 4:30 a.m.?) of King Arthur Carrousel for documentation, I brought along most of my lenses, including a great little 15mm fisheye. After about an hour taking images with my normal lenses, I thought I would have some fun with the fisheye lens. The first photo below is an example of a photo I would usually take documenting an attraction.

King Arthur Carrousel at Disneyland Park

When I first saw this next image on the back of my camera I laughed out loud, and I knew I was seeing a funny side to the majestic and historical Carrousel horses.

King Arthur Carrousel at Disneyland Park

Below are a few more examples of the photos through a fisheye lens.

King Arthur Carrousel at Disneyland Park

King Arthur Carrousel at Disneyland Park

King Arthur Carrousel at Disneyland Park

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Fred from CA on January 31st, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Those photos are awesome!
Great work as usual.

Amy on January 31st, 2011 at 4:46 pm

There is one horse that I love a few rows behind Jingles (and one horse in) because he has his tongue sticking all the way out to the side of his mouth. You would’ve had tons of fun with him using your fisheye lens :)

Kimberly from NV on January 31st, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I almost prefer the fish eye look. A young one would find the shots more whimsical.

stephanie on January 31st, 2011 at 5:08 pm

omgoodness I would love to take pictures of them. this is absolutely amazing. :]

Craig from OH on January 31st, 2011 at 5:15 pm

That first fish eye pic makes me think of a camel for some reason and like I’m by Aladdin in WDW’s MK… Nice to get a different perspective on a classic! :)

Debbie on January 31st, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Love these pictures – so much life.

Sheila on January 31st, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I love it! the fish eye lense makes they look so happy! Almost alive, coming up to nuzzle!

Pamela on January 31st, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Once again I am in awe of your photos. Thank you for sharing. My friends tease me all the time because I never come to Disneyland without my camera. They always say… “Don’t you already have 200 photos of the castle?” I say “Not from this angle.” I don’t think one can ever run out of things to take pictures of at Disneyland.

Alisha from UT on January 31st, 2011 at 7:00 pm

As a photographer and lover of carousels, I love these pictures! You have such a fun job.

Lisa on January 31st, 2011 at 7:33 pm

As someone who just bought a fisheye camera, I am very excited about these photos.

Desirae on January 31st, 2011 at 7:49 pm

This is the best view of carrousel horses we have ever seen. My daughter and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jennifer on January 31st, 2011 at 8:00 pm

These are great photos!! Thank you so much for posting them. I always look forward to seeing your posts & images of Disneyland!

Megan from CA on January 31st, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I wish I could name them all on sight! I’ve tried studying the list here, but there’s so many…
Love the fish eye shots!

Delbert on February 1st, 2011 at 12:44 am

Paul again & again you always really make me excited for my trips down the 5 to Disneyland… Is there anyway in the near future you’d be willing to take me around the park to take photographs with you? I can pay for the tickets, etc… not looking at a free disneyland trip by any means, I would just really love a walk around with you taking pictures! (Has something like that ever been offered at the parks?)

Well, thanks again for the pictures!!

I’ll be at Disneyland this Friday with my DSLR in hand!

Dinah on February 1st, 2011 at 9:54 pm

what an awesome idea, delbert. how cool would it be to add a guided tour with a photography element as the emphasis? i’d soooooooooo do that in a second. :D

paul: i love your photos. the fish eye gives an AMAZING quality to these pictures, esp. since it’s a carousel. it’s like you caught the movement of it without having it move!

Paul on February 2nd, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Do you get paid to walk around and take pics of Disney World? If so, hey Disney, I’ll do it for free!

Brendan from CA on February 5th, 2011 at 5:36 pm

You’ll need to “document” again soon. On Monday, we noticed that all of the “stirrups” had been changed. (Your photographs helped us to see that we weren’t imagining it. They are different now.)