Disney Parks Blog Celebrates the 20th Anniversary of Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Character Fan Days – The Results Are In!

posted on January 12th, 2011 by Michele Himmelberg, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

For the first time ever, we gave you a chance to decide which rarely seen Disney characters you want to see in Disneyland park. Thank you for the great response to our Character Facebook polls. Your selections will be included in the entertainment for our Character Fan Days, which are part of “Family Fun Weekends” – eight weekends of fun, January 14 through March 6, at Disneyland park.

The votes from the polls have been tallied and your choices are:

Poll 1 Results
Captain Hook, Wendy, Mr. Smee
Doc, Happy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Bashful, Dopey

Grumpy

Poll 2 Results
King Louie, Baloo
Donald Duck, Daisy Duck

Baloo

Poll 3 Results
Clarabelle Cow, Horace Horsecollar
Esmeralda, Clopin

Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow

Thank you all for your enthusiastic participation. We received more than 49,000 votes on the Facebook polls, along with nearly 2,500 great comments. Thanks to your votes, you can expect to see King Louie and Baloo, Captain Hook and Mr. Smee, Happy, Dopey and many more, so get your cameras and autograph books ready for Character Fan Days, January 28-30.

These characters will appear during the day at Festival Arena, located next to the Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue restaurant in Disneyland park. (Check for specific character locations on the board on Main Street, U.S.A.)

We’ll be sure to provide you with more information as the Character Fan Days approach. We want you to meet these memorable characters in person!

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Special Events

45 Comments 1 Reply

Cassandra on January 12th, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Disneyland should have a big bad wolf character to take pictures with!

Michael on January 12th, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Pretty good choices

pam from OK on January 12th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I’m happy with the results from the 3rd poll. I had my picture taken with Clopin and Quasimodo back in 1996, and that was awesome! But I’ve never seen them in the park since then. But most of the other choices are regulars. I think people were just picking their favorites instead of concentrating on characters that are rarely seen. Oh well.

Donny on January 12th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Donald and Daisy are out all the time. They never should have been on the list.

Friend on January 12th, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Yeah captain hook!

Anntoniett on January 12th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Why Disney must you showcase some great news after I moved from So.Cal to Michigan. And I won’t be back until Oct. When my brother gets marry. I could never be upset with Disney cause after all it’s my #1 place to visited.

Courtney from NV on January 12th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I want to take a picture with all the Villains :D

Diane from BC on January 12th, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I want to go DL now…..I really wish I lived closer…I would love to meet all of these characters…I was lucky to meet Hook and Wendy at Hallowe’en…

Megan on January 12th, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Cassandra, they do! :) I’m sure he’s hanging around backstage waiting for the right moment to pop back out into public.

Must say I’m not thrilled about Captain Hook, though. Two years ago, I spent an entire Character Breakfast hiding with my 2-year-old in the corner because she screamed when she saw him! After the rest of the family finished eating, I grabbed a cold waffle and we headed out. Maybe she’ll like him better now :D

Tamera from CA on January 12th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I’m still asking for GUS and JAQ from Cinderella. They are never, ever out, but Susie, Perla and the Fairy God Mother are. Please add Gus and Jaq to that trio. I know so many people who love Gus and Jaq!

Jaime on January 12th, 2011 at 3:52 pm

As soon as we heard about this weekend we booked a trip. I wish, however, that the common characters (Capitain Hook, Donald) weren’t chosen and real rare characters (Maleficent, The Country Bears, Jane Porter)were. I’m still excited to see those chosen and add them to my collection of characters we’ve seen!

Kelly on January 12th, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Aww I wish I knew about this poll!! I’d love to see the princes out once in a while (mainly prince Eric :-D) as well as the three good fairies and the villains more consistently. I love the villains!!

Kelly on January 12th, 2011 at 4:02 pm

So will these characters be around January 28-30 OR January 14 through March 6? Sorry if I’m a dummy but I’m confused by the wording on this post.

Jacqueline from TX on January 12th, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Is there any possibility of seeing Clarice with Chip and Dale? It would be a dream come true! Two Chips and a Miss might be the best cartoon ever!! Thanks!

matthew on January 12th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

It’d be nice if we didn’t have to vote and you guys can have these characters out every so often. If you have the costumes then send them out haha. Hollywood in DCA would be a good place to have random characters.

Samuel from CA on January 12th, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Will the dates be posted for specific characters and times. Or will all of these characters be out on all three days? I guess my question is, when can I expect to see the seven dwarfs :)

Michele Himmelberg on January 14th, 2011 at 1:33 pm

All of the selected characters will appear each day of the weekend. They have to take a rest now and then, so they’ll rotate through five photo locations at Festival Arena, with at least one character in each location from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Jim on January 12th, 2011 at 4:29 pm

It would be nice to see a schedule of who is appearing which weekend or which day. I do find it somewhat fun (or odd) that this blog still has a heading graphic from A Nightmare before Christmas on January 12th. ;o)

Hannette on January 12th, 2011 at 4:33 pm

@Cassandra: Years ago (I won’t even tell you how many!) the Big Bad Wolf was a character that came out. Somewhere in a drawer or cabinet at my parent’s house, there’s a picture of me with the BBW. You can’t see my head because we “posed” with him with his mouth over my head! LOL! I have GOT to find that picture…

Matthew: I’ve seen characters come out at DCA. Cruella de Ville comes out way at the back by her trailer. I’ve also seen Sulley, Jessie, Woody and Buzz there too.

Karen on January 12th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I don’t understand why Captain Hook was in the poll. I was just in Disneyland Park this past Monday and he was walking around by the castle. I also saw him when I was there in November on Main Street. I would like to see Flora, Fauna and Merryweather in the park. You never see them!

Devyn on January 12th, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Maybe it’s just me… but, I think most of these characters should be out with frequency. They’re wonderful and their costumes are fantastic! Most of all, they make people smile, and that’s part of what Disneyland is all about. I vote for more characters all the time!

Ayesha on January 12th, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I want a photo with Belle and the Beast, they should have been listed. I have never seen them except in the parade

Fred from CA on January 12th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Donny–
Yes, Donald is out often, but Daisy is VERY RARELY out in the park, I think that’s why she made the poll.

Except for the occasional parade appearance, Donald and Daisy are usually never seen out together.

Fred from CA on January 12th, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I would really love to see Bolt and Mittens out greeting people. California Adventure would be a good place for them.

Amy on January 12th, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Will each poll be one day? As in poll 1 characters will be out Jan 28, poll 2 on Jan 29, and poll 3 on Jan 30?

Jeff on January 12th, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Still waiting for Phineas, Ferb, Agent P, and Dr. Doofenshmirtz

JEFFREY from CA on January 12th, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I hope they will have all 6 groups out on all 3 days. Cause like me I can only go on Jan. 28th the other 2 days I can not go. It would not be fair that all my hard work on picking the characters I want to see well only be on a one day. Like exsmple if Horace was on the 30th then I will never get to see him or if Daisy who I never seen other then parades is on the 29th. So I hope all 6 Group characters will be out on all 3 days. What Disney could do is say have King Louie and Baloo out at 11am then have the 7 Dwarfs out on 12noon and so on.

Brandon on January 12th, 2011 at 7:17 pm

When I was a kid walking down Main Street ment taking pictures with characters. I’d love to see more characters in the parks. The Silly Sympohnies characters would fit well in Paradise Pier, Ranger Audubon Woodlore and Humphry the Bear in Golden State near Grizzly River Run. How about some Fab Five, as well as some other well knowns like Chip and Dale, Scrooge, Huey, Dewy, Louie, Darkwing, ect in Hollywood backlot. In general it would be nice to see more Disney in the DCA park and might help with the re-theming to California that Walt knew.

Nicholas on January 12th, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I’m sorta disappointed that some of the rarer characters were surpassed by the more common ones… :/
I hope this event happens again soon in the near future… It would be awesome to finally see Brer Rabbit out at Disneyland.

Loree on January 12th, 2011 at 10:54 pm

@ Meagan – I spent my son’s 1st breakfast with Minnie hiding from Captain Hook too. He was 3 then. He is 7 now and still refuses to watch Peter Pan. I think that Hook’s costume is just too big for the little ones not be afraid. Plus we ran in to Peter Pan one year and he confirmed how icky Captain Hook was. :)

Vivian from WA on January 12th, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Donny: We have visited Disneyland several times over the years and have asked the staff where we might be able to see Daisy. We were told that she was enjoying the sunshine down in Florida. We have never been able to get her autograph and only once in all those trips were we able to find Donald to get a picture and autograph.

Andrea from CA on January 12th, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I’m on the same page as Pam. I’d like to see some more rare characters. I wish I could see some characters from Robin Hood.

Laura from CA on January 13th, 2011 at 2:20 am

Character Fan Days are Jan 28-30 – it’s just one of the special “Family Fun” weekends that DISNEYLAND Park is having from Jan 14 thru March 6.

The themes are Fiesta, Country, Character Fan, Lunar New Year, and Mardi Gras.

Click on the link in the main story – see you there!

Reto on January 13th, 2011 at 3:29 am

Glad to see my childhood hero Baloo got his fair share of votes. Only bad thing is I can’t come over all the way from Switzerland on that date:-( Well, at least Baloo appears often at Goofy’s Kitchen. Missed him though the last time I was there.

Krista on January 13th, 2011 at 11:57 am

I love that some more rarely seen characters are going to be coming out. I have to get my dad to get his picture taken with Grumpy, because he is my Grumpy :o).

Matthew from CO on January 13th, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Jiminy Cricket!!!

beth from CA on January 13th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I would have like to see meg and hercules and pacha and kusco

Lory from UT on January 13th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

So, when Disney asks a question on Facebook, is there someone whose job it is to read all the comments?

Patrick from CA on January 13th, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I really don’t understand why Donald or Wendy are on the list, I see them almost every time I’m in the parks.
I’m really glad Esmerelda and Clopin got picked. I don’t think I’ve seen them since the Festival of Fools show.

Loren on January 13th, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I am excited about Esmerelda and Clopin and Horace Horsecollar and, to an extent, Clarabelle Cow, Baloo, King Louie and the Dwarfs, but I am really disappointed that the polls were populated by too many common characters.

I mean, come on…Alice and the Mad Hatter who are probably as common as Mickey Mouse in the park? I love ‘em, but, they are not rare at all. And, while Daisy might not be out all the time, I’ve seen her enough that I would have gladly traded her for another character. Or, if you’re sticking with a theme, it would have been WAY more interesting to have Daisy with Huey, Dewey and Louie rather than Donald.

Gregory from PA on January 14th, 2011 at 1:05 am

I have seen every character on this list, except for Esmeralda and Clopin, within the last five years at Walt Disney World. Just saying. Give me Scrooge McDuck!!!!

Kaci from CA on January 14th, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I just read the list of characters that won the contest and I have one important question. Michelle or someone from Disney please answer:

Will there be an opportunity to have a photo taken with more than one character at a time? Like all 7 dwarfs; Clopin AND Esmeralda; Hook AND Wendy AND Mr. Smee?

Please, please don’t make this like the Princess Fanasy Faire, where you wait in the line, but never know who is inside – and you never get to have one picture with all three princesses.

Brittany from AB on January 15th, 2011 at 11:14 am

Will Dopey be around sometime in February?? We are visiting there Feb 21-25, and he is my sister-in-law’s absolute favorite, and now my 22 month old jsut learned who he is and can say his name! We would LOVE to be able to meet him while we’re there!! Will this be possible??

Andres on January 15th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I am happy with Daisy Duck. She is never out. Also I have never seen clarabell and horace so that will be pretty cool. I think the villains are the hardest to find. Went to Disney a couple of weeks ago and didn’t see one villain.

Sam on January 17th, 2011 at 2:16 am

You never see The Seven Dwarfs outside of a parade, so it’s good that they made the cut. But it would be a shame to have them participate in this special meet and greet “without” Snow White. I hope she can take a break from her castle duties and join the fellas.

Terri from CA on January 30th, 2011 at 11:06 am

Leaving soon to check out the favorite characters. Would have liked to have seen more real rare ones make the cut-Like the 3 Little Pigs, etc. Hope we don’t have to stay in the area all day to see the hard to see ones. (Like 7 Dwarfs, Esmeralda, etc.) I hear there will be 18 characters appearing.