Silly Symphony Swings at Paradise Pier

Chilean Miners Honored at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on January 31st, 2011 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Chilean Miners Honored at Walt Disney World Resort

We’re all about great stories here at the Walt Disney Company and the rescue of the Chilean miners was certainly one of the most compelling of 2010. Today, their inspirational story continued right here at Magic Kingdom Park with a parade and celebration on Main Street, U.S.A. The men and their rescuers were greeted by cheers from guests, Disney characters and the “Mayor” of Main Street, U.S.A., who proclaimed their special day.

Chilean Miners Honored at Walt Disney World Resort

Since last week, the miners have been enjoying a Disney-sponsored vacation in their honor. They participated in a welcome party hosted by Walt Disney World President Meg Crofton at Epcot and then received VIP treatment at the theme parks along with a few other Disney surprises.

Chilean Miners Honored at Walt Disney World Resort

One of the highlights of their six-night vacation to Disney was serving as Grand Marshals of the Main Street, U.S.A. parade. Here’s a look at a few of the others.

Chilean miner rescuer Patricio Alejandro Sepulveda Munoz (right) takes a spin with his daughter Esperanza Anais Sepulveda (center, age 2) and his wife Yessica Vivian Sepulveda (left) on The Mad Tea Party attraction at the Walt Disney World Resort Chilean miner rescuer Roberto Cristian Rios (center) joins his twin daughters Elizabeth de los Angeles Rios (left, age 8) and Paz Alexandra Rios (right, age 8) for a ride aboard the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction at the Walt Disney World Resort
 Chilean miner rescuer Roberto Cristian Rios is all smiles as he gives his son, Robert Alex Rios (age 4), a ride atop his shoulders in front of Cinderella Castle at the Walt Disney World Resort  Chilean miner rescuer Patricio Alejandro Sepulveda Munoz (right) joins his daughter Esperanza Anais Sepulveda (left, age 2) and Disney character Tigger as his wife, Yessica Vivian Sepulveda (foreground) takes a souvenir photograph at Walt Disney World Resort

The rescued miners are sharing their lessons of hope and courage with some special youngsters and our author Kathleen Prihoda will have more on that visit for the Disney Parks Blog tomorrow.

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Whitney on January 31st, 2011 at 6:55 pm

This is why I LOVE Disney!! Thank you for all you’re doing for these families! How special! They will be telling their grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and so on about their magical trip to Walt Disney World for generations. :)

cheryl from QC on January 31st, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Thats so nice…a great way to celebrate the miracle of their rescue!!!

Marianela from Santiago on January 31st, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I’m chilean and a huge Disney fan (6 times visitor) and I’m very proud of these men (miners and rescuers). For me is such an honor that they were the Grand Marshalls today!!! Oh Boy! my beautiful flag in Main Street I would loved to see that…and say “CHI-LE!!!”

Rory from FL on January 31st, 2011 at 7:04 pm

GREAT STORY! Would love to see even more photos. What amazing spirit they have. A true happy ending.

Lorrie on January 31st, 2011 at 7:15 pm

That is awesome! What an awesome experience for these families.

BETTY on January 31st, 2011 at 7:27 pm

WOW, DISNEY…I HAVE TO ADMIT, Y’ALL ARE INCREDIBLY GIFTED AT MAKING A SPECIAL OCASSION FEEL EVEN MORE MAGICAL!! THESE ARE MY COUNTRYMEN & WOMEN & I AM SO THANKFUL TO YOU FOR BEING AN ORGANIZATION THAT MAKES DREAMS A REALITY!! THAT’S WHY DISNEY IS MY FAVORITE PLACE ON EARTH!! THANK YOU FOR DOING WHAT YOU DO, EACH & EVERYDAY!! I WILL BE GOING THERE ALWAYS. Y’ALL ROCK!!

ANGEL on January 31st, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Love it! If anyone deserved a trip to Disney these men did.

Joyce on January 31st, 2011 at 7:45 pm

This story makes me feel very proud to be a Cast Member at Walt Disney World. Walt Disney was a very a patriotic man and I think that this would have made him very happy. Way to go, Disneyworld!

Cedric on January 31st, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Those photos are so adorable! What a wonderful celebration! :)

Liz from GA on January 31st, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Okay, They are heroes and all that, but what about the guys who did all the work to get them out? I think they deserve a big celebration, too.

Lisa on February 1st, 2011 at 2:40 am

Wow. I still remember watching the video about rescuing them at Chile pavilion of EXPO2010 Shanghai China. At that moment, I was touched by their spirits totally.
Good for them.

Aaron on February 1st, 2011 at 11:19 am

Oh wow – how fantastic. To the marketing people and employees at Disney that did this: You are awesome, job well done. Nice feel-good story.

amy on February 1st, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Liz – the beginning of the story says that it was for the “miners and their rescuers” so they are participating in all the celebrations with the miners.

Those Hard Hat Ears kill me! That Disney pays attention to such details to make everything so much more special is why I love Disney so much!

Kimberly from NV on February 1st, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Disney is the greatest company ever. It makes everyone feel so special. Sprinkled with Disney magic. What a nice thing to do for people who went through so much. That includes the families and the rescuers, since it was an ordeal for them as well!

Sharlene from ON on February 1st, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Simply beautiful! Thank you Disney for all the happiness you bring to everyone, makes me happy just to see them honored!!!

Lynn on February 13th, 2011 at 2:35 pm

We were there live had no idea what was happening until it was starting. I had tears in my eyes walking out the of the park that afternoon as they were on mainstreet at the hub where the american flag flies holding their flag and taking picture. It is a small world. It was true Disney Magic that day.