Fireworks at Disneyland Park

Disney Dream Sets Sail on Maiden Voyage Full of Fun and Excitement

posted on January 27th, 2011 by Jason Lasecki, Public Relations Director, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures By Disney, Disney Vacation Club

Ahoy from the Disney Dream! Our newest ship visited Nassau today as part of her four-night maiden voyage to the Bahamas and we’ve got an exclusive report directly from onboard.

For all the Disney Cruise Line guests who departed from Florida’s Port Canaveral on Wednesday, it was a day full of fanfare, festivities and many happy reunions between veteran Disney cruisers and familiar crew members.

A Plane Tows a Banner Overhead Saluting the Ship’s Maiden Voyage

We haven’t forgotten all our fans back on land, however!

Several correspondents are on the Disney Dream to send reports for the Disney Parks Blog, starting with this one. You can also follow our real-time tweets throughout the maiden voyage at twitter.com/disneycruise.

The Smolsky Family Explores the Disney Dream

The fun began Wednesday when the Smolsky family of Leesburg, Virginia became the first guests to step aboard. Matt, Alison and their three children — Jake, 11, and 8-year-old twins Jordan and Julie — soon met Cruise Director Rachel Quinn then set out to explore the ship’s activities for every member of the family, including the water coaster AquaDuck.

Sailing Away Deck Party During the Maiden Voyage of the Disney Dream

A little bit later the Sailing Away deck party kicked things off up on the pool deck and Captain Tom Forberg made a special salutation from the bridge.

Mickey Mouse Hands Were Waving From on the Ship and on Land as the Disney Dream Departed

As the ship departed Port Canaveral, loud cheers erupted from guests onboard her decks and the many spectators who came to see a magical milestone years in the making.

The Disney Dream Sets Out for the Bahamas on the Ship’s Maiden Voyage

On Wednesday night, Disney Dream guests were treated to a special evening of entertainment in the Walt Disney Theatre, including the illusions of magician Mike Super and the beautiful voice of 8-year-old signing sensation Rhema Marvanne, who was thrilled to meet some of her favorite Disney characters on the ship.

Here are some highlights from a busy day of celebration:

Come back Friday for another exclusive report from the ship and add a comment below to let us know what you want to see from the ship’s maiden voyage!

The Disney Dream Passes Jetty Park at Florida’s Port Canaveral Disney Dream Guests Wave to Spectators at Port Canaveral Flutes of Taittinger Champagne are prepared for a special sail-away toast Rhema Marvanne delights Disney Dream guests with a magical performance
Guests wave farewell to Florida as they depart from Port Canaveral on the Disney Dream Families Embark with Excitement as They Get Their First Glimpse Inside the Disney Dream The Smolsky Family Steps Aboard the Disney Dream as the Maiden Voyage’s First Guests Disney Dream Guests Enjoy a Romantic Sunset at Sea as They Sail on the Maiden Voyage

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

Kristl on January 27th, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I think this is wonderful to share with the entire world about this new facinating ship. We will be on the Dream June 7th. We were on the Wonder in 2009 and loved the shows. Can you send clips of the shows? We loved Toy Story. Also it might be helpful but maybe impossible to share a little of each excursion so we can get an idea which ones we would like. We are definatly pairasailing at Castaway Cay. Thanks again Disney you are the best.

Jaclyn from AL on January 27th, 2011 at 11:58 pm

So exciting! Can’t wait to be on the Dream Feb. 10th!

Laura from CA on January 28th, 2011 at 1:16 am

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS! Want to see guests having fun on the AquaDuck!

Edmund from FL on January 28th, 2011 at 7:10 am

It would be great to have as many photos of the 3 rotational dining rooms for the cruise and Cabanas. A DISNEY cruise is GREAT and I enjoy every aspect of the cruise but the food is FANTASTIC!!!

elaine on January 28th, 2011 at 7:29 am

29 days til i sail with 3 other princesses and I already want to book another cruise to look forward to! I would like to see inside the Enchanted Garden and see the walking deck and inside a shop!!

Mary Kathryn on January 28th, 2011 at 7:46 am

OOOOOOO So exciting! Many safe travels DREAM! Sailing 4/11… We’d love to see inside PINK.

Candace on January 28th, 2011 at 9:33 am

We are sooo excited about our cruise on March 10th. There will be 17 of us;children and grandchildren and grandparents. This was our Christmas present from the grandparents. We are enjoying the wonderful pictures of the Disney Dream that are posted each day.

Ashley on January 28th, 2011 at 10:31 am

I want to see more of the broadway style show and maybe some looks backstage!

Sherry from AB on January 28th, 2011 at 11:16 am

Can’t wait until Feb 6 for our cruise on the Disney Dream. This will be our second Disney Cruise… DISNEY CRUISES ARE THE BEST !!

Gary from GA on January 28th, 2011 at 11:18 am

Hey, there is so much to post that all of us will love, but I think we need to see the new restaurants in action (especially Animator’s Palace), the AquaDuck, and the Captain’s champagne party (if there is one).

James from CA on January 28th, 2011 at 11:20 am

So awesome! I can’t wait. My journey begins in December. Show more of the ships activities.

amanda from LA on January 28th, 2011 at 11:25 am

Can’t wait till July 5, I am more excited than my daughter!

Robert from FL on January 28th, 2011 at 11:44 am

Can not wait to see the new ship we are going June 7….COUNTING THE DAYS!!!!

Peter on January 28th, 2011 at 11:45 am

Greetings from Toronto!

What a spectacular vessel and we are so excited for our dear friends who are on the Maiden Voyage right now. In August 2011, we will be joining them for two back to back cruises on the Dream and we are just thrilled for our upcoming adventure together aboard the spectacular Dream. They called yesterday from Nassau and were absolutely ecstatic about the ship. Here is to our soon to be cruise…woooo hooooo!!!!!

Best regards,
Jackie

Karrie on January 28th, 2011 at 11:49 am

I can’t wait, we board February 6th!!! a DREAM come true!!

melissa on January 28th, 2011 at 12:25 pm

i love the Disney cruises :> went on one on my honeymoon in 1999 and hope to again one day. i just love the picture of the couple on the beach :> that brought a tear to my eye – thanks for posting anything about the boats – they are truly magical.

Carole from FL on January 28th, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I had the pleasure of sailing on the Wonder in 2007 with 2 Grandaughters so had an idea of the Disney Cruise Ship so over these many months of watching the ship being built and keeping abreast of her progress when this past WED. came about in my mind I tried to be aboard.
First of all I watched her on the Port Canaveral Cam depart. I could imagine the folks on shore waving her off. As the sun set it would be time to go to the Cabins and begin dinner. And so on. and tomorrow early a.m. she docks back “home” at Port Canaveral and I awaite a friend who is on board now and it’s her 43rd DISNEY CRUISE to get on computer and tell me all about it.
I have no doubt reviews will be awesome.
Good job D.C.L.

Lorraine from IL on January 28th, 2011 at 1:45 pm

This is our 2nd cruise…Can’t wait to surprise my grandson on his birthday the day we sail!!! See you in November

Duane from NY on January 28th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I was lucky and privileged enough to be on the maiden voyage of the Disney Magic, and am envious of the Dream passengers. I know how great they must all be feeling.
My son would like to see more photos and activity info of the tween club “Edge”.

Patricia on January 28th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Thanks for sharing with us,we had a magical time on the Disney Magic in 2009, waiting for the Disney Fantasy so that we can sail to the eastern Caribbean. Watching all the fun and excitment on the maiden voyage gave me happy chills.

ADRIAN on January 28th, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Our Disney Dream is not until the end of October of this year but already looking forward to this another exiciting and unforgettable voyage with the family.

James on January 29th, 2011 at 1:44 am

It’s already been a week since disembarking the Wonder at Port Los Angeles, and we’re raring to go again. Waited a long time for a west-coast deployment of a Disney Cruise Ship. Realize that this would never have come about without the inclusion of a growing fleet for DCL. So for that we are also grateful for the arrival to DCL’s Fleet of the Dream, as it helped to bring our dream of a west coast port for one of DCL’s Ships to reality! Wishing the Wonder, the Magic and the Dream many happy returns. Looking forward to an Alaska Cruise and someday an Hawaii Cruise, but will also plan for the Maiden Cruise of the Fantasy in 2012! DCL, you rock!

Christina on January 29th, 2011 at 11:45 am

My parents are on this voyage. I would like to see more pictures of the day so I can see if I see them in them. My mom was like a kid in a candy store waiting to go on this trip. My parents deserved it and I know they are having a good time! They took my family on the Wonder last September. We had a blast and can not wait to try the Dream.

Stefanie from UT on January 29th, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Fantastic! I can’t wait to board your ship on May 29th! What a blast! It looks so fun! :) Thank you for always posting videos. The family will sit down and watch your videos every night together. It makes us all so happy and excited. You truly have out done yourselves. :) Thanks Disney!

Antoinette from NC on January 29th, 2011 at 6:33 pm

The pics of the maiden voyage are fantastic!! I cannot wait until we board the Dream on Nov 27th !!! This will be our 4th cruise with the cruiseline and each cruise has been magical!!! We are fortunate enough to book the maiden voyage of the Fantasy in March 2012 and Im sure Disney will put on just as big of a show as they did this time. Thank you so much Disney for the video and pics of the Dream!!

Timothy from OH on January 31st, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Just got back from the Maiden Voyage of the Dinsey Dream and our first voyage on Disney Cruise lines. We are seasoned travelers and have got to say this was the best cruise we have ever been on. And we have been on quite a few.
Rachel the cruise director was wonderful and warm and welcomed feedback.
She genuinly caared about the ship.
The whole staff was great and I do mean everyone.
It was our first cruise with Disney and will not be our last .
Cant wait until next year and the Disney Fantasy.
We will sail on her in April.
Dont miss this exciting new ship

Deanna from NC on January 31st, 2011 at 8:13 pm

We’d love to see the restaurants, tween club, shows, and Castaway Cay. Have fun everyone! See you in July, Disney Dream!

andreia on January 31st, 2011 at 8:53 pm

OMG! i got emotional just by watching the video of the first maiden voyage. I can not even imagine how i’ll react one day when i get to go with my family on a Disney cruise. Congratulations to all of the people who worked in this beautiful ship!

Rossy from FL on February 2nd, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Good job DCL! The best cruise ever is at DCL- we will have the honor to join the Dream in March…!!!Thank you DCL!!!!

toye from AL on February 4th, 2011 at 1:50 am

So excited about my upcoming cruise in March. Just watching the videos about the maiden voyage of the Disney Dream has got my expectations to an all time high. This will be my second Disney Cruise and as a single person going without children i enjoy all the services, attractions, and adult only spots that Disney has provided to make their cruises not only family friendly, but just plain old fun, relaxing, and exciting for individuals of all ages.
I am a long time fan of Mickey Mouse and wouldn’t miss this for the world. i invite everyone to take a Disney Cruise and enjoy the magic and experience the memories that last a lifetime.

Cheryl from NC on February 4th, 2011 at 1:36 pm

We were one of the many onboard for the Dream Maiden Voyage. It is a fantastic ship. Trying to book another maybe the Fantasy. Had a great time riding the Aquaduck even though it was windy & chilly. With all of the many experienced Disney cruisers some glitches appeared, but related to the fact that IT WAS A MAIDEN VOYAGE. I’m sure they took notes for the Fantasy Maiden Voyage so that things will go smoothly. The food at the 3 main restaurants was really enjoyable. The new shows at Walt Disney Theater were great. Really need a lot more space to express the Great Experience we had. Again can’t wait to get back aboard!!!!!

Fung from NJ on February 5th, 2011 at 11:01 am

Love DCL. Going on our fifth cruise to Alaska on the Wonder. Can’t wait. You can’t beat the beautiful ships, service and entertainment. The crew is wonderful. Probably will sail on the Dream in 2012. Beautiful ship. Good Luck DCL. We love you!