Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park

Get Cookin’ – Disney Style

posted on January 10th, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Fifteen years ago, my mom and I discovered the best peanut butter cookies on the planet at Boatwright’s Dining Hall at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside. Of course, that’s just our opinion, but the memory of that perfect treat – and the multiday cookie fix it sent us on – is something we still laugh about today.

Dining at Disney Parks and Resorts

Disney has a way of creating vacation memories through its food, which is exactly why I love Disney cookbooks; they make it possible to relive special memories like these at home again and again. I also use them to explore the Disney restaurants I dream of visiting someday, like Club 33 at Disneyland park or Napa Rose at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.

That said, here’s a look at the Disney cookbooks available on shelves now that showcase the best dishes from Disneyland Resort, the Walt Disney World Resort and Disney Cruise Line. Some recipes were even created by Disney chefs for Walt himself.

• Chef Mickey – Treasures from the Vault & Delicious New Favorites ($24.95) – This new release features popular dishes currently found on menus, plus a few “old favorites” from the past. Recipes range from Peanut Butter & Jelly Milkshakes and Cedar Plank Salmon, to Walt’s personal recipe for Chili & Beans.
  • Cedar Plank Salmon

• Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs ($19.95) – This book offers fun facts with each recipe, including the story behind Chris’ Cold Pie, Walt’s favorite dessert. It also includes one of the Resort’s most requested recipes, Canadian Cheese Soup from Epcot, and a taste of Disneyland park’s exclusive Club 33 and its Filet of Chateaubriand.
  • Dining at Disney Parks and Resorts

• Delicious Disney ($40) – This cookbook features more elaborate dishes from our parks and resorts, including Trout Meunière, Lemon Garlic Shrimp, and Kona Salad.
  • 'Delicious Disney' Cookbook

• Delicious Desserts ($14.95) – Perfect for the baker in the family, this book offers recipes for Mickey Mouse Beignets from Café Orleans, Brownie Cheesecake from BoardWalk Bakery, and even a Chocolate Gingerbread Soufflé from the award-winning Victoria & Albert’s.
  • Kona Salad

What was the most memorable dining experience you’ve had on a Disney vacation?

Filed: Disney Dining, Disneyland Resort, Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Ann on January 10th, 2011 at 10:02 am

Eating at the Teppan in Japan @ Epcot. My husband talked about this dinner for days after and years after our visit.He had said he would eat there all our days we stayed at Disney.If you get that kind of reaction from my husband you must have made a statement, because he doesn`t feel food is nothing special, till now.

Linnea on January 10th, 2011 at 10:11 am

One of our favorites is the strawberry soup from the Grand Floridian. We often make a “sugar free” version with Splenda for my dad who is diabetic and serve it for special birthday or holiday meals.

May on January 10th, 2011 at 10:13 am

Wow. This would be cool if I could actually get it. Any chance Disneystore.com is getting Cooking with Mickey & Disney chefs again? OR do you have some link or # to call to get it?

Brian on January 10th, 2011 at 10:15 am

Wow, the first book mentioned here is listed as SOLD OUT on the disney parks store. Boo! You got me all excited about it. =)

Joanne on January 10th, 2011 at 10:20 am

Dinner at Cinderella’s Castle in the Magic Kingdom. My family of 24 had dinner there to celebrate my parents 50th, my sister & husband’s 25th, and my niece’s first wedding anniversaries. We all had our picture taken with Cinderella which was a lot of fun. Dinner was excellent, and our server was very entertaining!

Joel from OK on January 10th, 2011 at 10:21 am

My wife and I absolutely love the Whispering Canyon Cafe located at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. The food, the atmoshpere, the service… it’s all great! Our favorite recipe, however, has to be their cornbread. My wife makes it frequently, which always brings a round of “20 Questions, Disney Edition” from our kids at the dinner table.

Sandy on January 10th, 2011 at 10:29 am

Do any of the cookbooks have the recipe for Kung Pao Chicken from Nine Dragons at Epcot? If so, I would love to have it. That was, without a doubt, the best meal we have had at WDW.

Dale from MD on January 10th, 2011 at 10:40 am

Dinner at Victoria & Albert’s in October 2009. The service was OUTSTANDING and food was the best I have EVER had. Palo (dinner or brunch) is always a treat too.

Laura on January 10th, 2011 at 10:48 am

We love several restaurants @ Disneyworld Parks & Resorts…specially Jikko , a whole african cuisine adventure at the Animal Kingdom Lodge , the craft of the cooks at Teppan Edo , on Epcot ‘s World Showcase ; and we have a wonderful & strange Christmas Eve dinner (no turkey at all!!0 @ the Nine Dragons , also in Epcot , and the sTaff was very surprised when my husband finished his very HOT meal that night (but he has advantage , he’s mexican and maybe the most spicy chiles in the world are used in mexican cuisine!!!!)

Stephen on January 10th, 2011 at 11:16 am

Do any of the cookbooks have the recipe for the amazing peanut soup served at Boma?

laurel from CT on January 10th, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Looking forward to trying some of these fabulous dishes in a few weeks.

sheila on January 10th, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Pam Brandon is one of my favorite authors. Every recipe I’ve tried is delicious. I always look forward to her next offering of unique tastes.

There are so many great places to eat on property. Each and every one has their own dishes and designs. Jikos and Citricos are two of my favorites.

Recently on the new ship “The Dream” I experienced the Animator’s Palate, Enchanted Garden, and the Royal Palace Restaurants. I can’t wait to see what recipes Pam comes up with from these new places of enjoyment.

Nancy from IL on January 10th, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I absolutely LOVE the lobster bisque from Les Chefs de France in EPCOT. It’s the one thing I have to have when I go to Disney. That and the Disney-wide shortbread cookies!

Bruce from CA on January 10th, 2011 at 6:27 pm

There are so many to mention – Crab cakes from Flying Fish, from Sanaa the Chicken with Red Curry Sauce and Shrimp with Green Curry Sauce, the Ribs from Flame-tree BBQ and the Monte Cristo from Cafe Orleans (CA) -

Elizabeth from OH on January 10th, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Kona Cafe at the Polynesian Resort. My dad and I had a special “farewell” dinner as he had come to drive home with me after I spent 6 fabulous months as a Disney College Program cast member. How I had overlooked this wonderful dining spot, I am still unsure. Every single dish that came out, we “ooh”ed and “ahh”ed over and it was all delicious! We raved about the food to the server and promised to come back on our next trip. After dinner we sat on the beach overlooking the Seven Seas Lagoon and watched the fireworks over Cinderella’s castle one last time. One year later, we have reservations (this time with the rest of the family) for this week as we are going back again. I can’t wait!

Katharine on January 11th, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Where can I get these cookbooks? I would love to give them as gifts to my Disney loving friends!

Stephen from MD on January 11th, 2011 at 2:19 pm

We had the chance to eat at Club 33 for our Honeymoon… only one thing to say… absolutely the best everything, DREAM COME TRUE!

Mia on January 11th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

the selection is limitless, it’s HARD to pick a best!! a few favs- monte cristo @ the blue bayou in disneyland, along with everything @ napa rose… seafood @ the coral reef in epcot, the buffet @ crystal palace and turkey dinner @ liberty tree inn in magic kingdom, tusker house buffet in animal kingdom- love their breakfast hash!, the grapefruit cake @ brown derby in hollywood studios, cinnamon chicken @ kouzzina.. the list goes on!! next time (in april) i’ll be @ wilderness lodge, checking out artist’s point before jumping on my disney dream cruise!!

john from FL on January 17th, 2011 at 10:29 am

John of springhill,fla. I love all the dinning at Any Disney Fla. Rest. Now this book is it good for any one who has just had By-Pass Surg.(6 for me Christamas Present)Portabellos are our fav. of my Wife and me.

Sharon from SC on January 18th, 2011 at 6:54 am

I have searched for 5 years for the fabulous macaroni & cheese recipe from Le Cellier. The panko breadcrumb topping, the bacon, the special blend of cheeses…it is my husband’s favorite thing in all of Epcot. Please include it in a future cookbook!