Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

Welcome Home, Disney Dream!

posted on January 4th, 2011 by Jonathan Frontado, Disney Cruise Line

Ahoy!

Early this morning our newest cruise ship, the Disney Dream, finally arrived home to Florida’s Port Canaveral after sailing several thousand miles across the Atlantic Ocean.

The Disney Dream Arrives at Florida's Port Canaveral

For everyone on board – like me – it was an emotional moment to see hundreds of Disney cast members waving and cheering while fireworks burst above in the pre-dawn sky. A crowd of about 2,000 people turned out in the dark to see the ship pull in, which was a wonderful welcome.

The Disney Dream Arrives at Florida's Port Canaveral

The arrival of the Disney Dream in Florida marks the end of the ship’s nearly two-year construction journey and the start of an exciting new era for Disney Cruise Line guests, one that will send our existing ships on adventures to other parts of the world.

On Thursday, in fact, the Disney Wonder will depart for West Coast-based itineraries including the Mexican Riviera and our first-ever cruises to Alaska. This summer, the Disney Magic will return to Europe for visits to popular ports in Italy, France and Spain, plus stops in Tunis in northern Africa and the island nation of Malta.

During the trip home I had a chance to meet and talk with dozens of Disney Dream crew members, many of whom will be familiar faces to repeat guests who’ve sailed on the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder over the past 12 years. Everyone is so excited to welcome the first passengers aboard later this month.

We all agree that as beautiful as the Disney Dream is, what’s been missing up to now are the Disney Cruise Line guests who’ll bring the ship to life with their smiles, laughter and enthusiasm. That’s what I’m looking forward to the most and I’m glad we’ll get to share it with you on the Disney Parks Blog.

The Disney Dream Arrives at Florida's Port Canaveral

In the meantime, before the ship can sail her maiden voyage on January 26th we have to christen her, right? It’ll be spectacular and I can’t wait to tell you what we’ve got planned. First I have to unpack, though.

It’s good to be home.

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

nancy on January 4th, 2011 at 8:39 pm

For months I have followed all the post about the construction of the Dream. Our trip isn’t until July 14, but I don’t know if I can contain myself! I can’t imagine the excitment when she pull in yesterday. ‘Beauty’ just doesn’t pay her justice!

Manuel on January 4th, 2011 at 8:40 pm

It’s so beautifull just to see how many wanderfull emotions it’s already inspiring; I’m sure it will spread lots of joy and happyness to many of us. Well Done DCL, that’s why we keep comming back over and over and over and …….

ann on January 4th, 2011 at 9:00 pm

WELCOME HOME DISNEY DREAM !!! I am so Excited to see her .. I have been watching her progress all year.. my husband and I will see her in person Feb. 27th. Can’t wait… I am starting my countdown NOW…. 52 days….

Scott on January 4th, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Disney first class all the way!! Absolutely beautiful….Jan 26th can’t come soon enough!!

Barbara from NY on January 4th, 2011 at 9:04 pm

The Disney Dream is beautiful! I can’t wait to see her on the maiden voyage!

Lucy from CA on January 5th, 2011 at 3:51 am

Welcome Home Dream! Jonathan THANKS so much for the wonderful updates these past few months. The video and pictures are Amazing!!!
I wish the cast the best and can’t wait to see pictures of the christening.
I can’t wait til May to see her for my self :)

Patricia from NJ on January 5th, 2011 at 5:36 am

She is amazing! Thank you for sharing her voyage. I can’t wait for November 20th!

Joi on January 5th, 2011 at 8:05 am

Yup, brought tears to my eyes. We’ll be dreaming in August with a b2b sailing. For the person who said they cannot “afford” a disney cruise. I would have never thought I could either, as a single parent but… I book as far in advance as possible with the min. deposit(I am booked for the Fantasy already) and make small payments throughout the year(s). Then ta da!…all of a sudden I am cruising again! All worth it! Nothing…Nothing…compares to DCL! (did a short RCL w/e with family, no comparison…Disney RULES THE SEA!)

John from WI on January 5th, 2011 at 10:46 am

Great update!!

Mary from NY on January 5th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Awesome, welcome home Dream!

Michael on January 5th, 2011 at 4:02 pm

That is so cool, I go on in 2663943.37 seconds 443998.54 minutes 739.96 hours 30.83 days 4.40 weeks febuary 5!!!!!!

Antoinette on January 5th, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I cant wait for our cruise on the Disney Dream on 27th Nov!!

kellie on January 6th, 2011 at 6:09 am

HURRY UP MARCH THE 3RD CANT WAIT TO GET ONBOARD (AND RECOVER FROM THE 22 HR FLIGHT )

Bonnie from FL on January 6th, 2011 at 6:38 am

Welcome home, Disney Dream! We wanted to drive over from Orlando, but had to go to school/work. We are bursting with excitement and can’t wait to see you in March! We’ve traveled on the Wonder a few times and have amazing, magical vacations.

Kamika from MI on January 7th, 2011 at 9:30 am

I have been on several cruises but this is my FIRST Disney Cruise! I am super excited! I can’t wait to try the Aqua Duck in April 2011!