Sailing Ship Columbia at Disneyland Park

From Under the Sea to Galaxies Far, Far Away…Opening Dates Are Set For A Soundsational Summer at Disneyland Resort

posted on February 25th, 2011 by Michele Himmelberg, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

As days get longer and the weather gets warmer (well, hopefully!), we are very excited about summer 2011 at the Disneyland Resort. And today I’m thrilled to share the grand opening dates for three new experiences headed your way.

Grand opening June 3: At Disney California Adventure park, get ready for an all-new voyage with one of Disney’s most beloved characters, Ariel. The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure will invite guests to take a journey under the sea to experience all the fun and adventures in Ariel’s world. From the great songs to state-of-the-art animatronics and special effects, guests will become a part of her world in a way that’s never happened before.

The Little Mermaid attraction is the next big milestone in the expansion of Disney California Adventure park. “World of Color” debuted last year and continues to wow guests every night with magic that combines choreographed fountains, lights, lasers, music, animation and Disney storytelling. And on the horizon, guests can see Cars Land taking shape, which opens in 2012.

Here’s a first look at the vision Walt Disney Imagineers have for Ursula, who will play a big role in The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure.

Ursula of The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel's Undersea Adventure

Across the esplanade at Disneyland park, guests this summer will be dancing to the beat of a whole new parade and jetting off to new galaxies far, far away.

May 27 Premiere: “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade” officially steps off for Memorial Day weekend, with an explosive musical score, thrilling rhythms and bold percussion that will have people dancing to many of their favorite Disney tunes. Look for whimsical float units, live musicians and some of your favorite characters. Mickey Mouse and his pals will be jamming like never before and creating an atmosphere that will be…soundsational!

Here’s a peek at the preparations:

Grand opening June 3: And for those who dare to venture into the deep, dark corners of the universe, Star Tours – The Adventures Continue officially launches in Tomorrowland at Disneyland park, taking guests on interstellar adventures to Coruscant, Tatooine, and other destinations in the “Star Wars” galaxy. With the return of favorite Star Wars characters and the addition of more familiar faces and destinations, guests are going to experience Starspeeder travel in an all-new way…in 3D!

You may remember, Star Tours – The Adventures Continue also launches at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort on May 20. May the Force be with you!

Star Tours - The Adventure Continues at Disneyland Resort

Summer Fun: Along with these three exciting additions, guests will find even more fun this summer at the Disneyland Resort. So, stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for updates.

What are you most looking forward to this summer at the Disneyland Resort?

Tagged: , , , , ,

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Margaret from CA on February 25th, 2011 at 4:14 pm

YIPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, All righty then! If it all starts June 3rd, then we wait 2 weeks for them to work the bugs out fo the systems, then Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho to Anaheim we go!!!!!!

Debbie on February 25th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

We were there last July on the last day for the original Star Tours and can’t wait to see the new one!

Anele on February 25th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH MY GOD!!!! I´M SUPER EXCITED

Matthew from CA on February 25th, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Awesome news Michele! Time to mark my calendar. I’m looking forward to experiencing all three.

Andrea on February 25th, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Star Tours!!!! I have been waiting a whole year….unfortunately I won’t see it till December…. but so excited

Lynnae on February 25th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I really can’t choose a favorite. They all sound so exciting! I’m already excited to visit the Disneyland Resort this summer! Isn’t there any way to make time go by faster?!

MELANIE from LANCASHIRE on February 25th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I’m so excited Ariel is my favourite and star wars is my hubby’s and we are coming over the pond to LA for our 1st visit on May 27 for nine days…so we will be there for the openings, wahooo!! If you need any extra’s to test the rides feel free to email me we wont be offended, hahaha

Michele Himmelberg on February 25th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Melanie and hubby – have a great time at The Resort. Happy to have you here.

Chris on February 25th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Wow! This all sounds awesome! Anxious to hear what we can expect for Summer Nightastic this year too!

Wallace from MN on February 25th, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Wow! Those parade floats looks spectacular! I was already excited for the Little Mermaid and Star Tours attractions; the new parade is some beautiful icing on the cake!

Jonathan on February 25th, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Will there be a fastpass distribution for Ariel’s Undersea Adventure?

Michele Himmelberg on February 25th, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Though we will not have FastPass distribution for The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, I think guests will find a very good loadig system for this attraction. We will have FastPass for Star Tours – The Adventures Continue.

Richard from FL on February 25th, 2011 at 4:42 pm

May and June are going to be incredibly busy – and EXCITING – months in the world of Disney! I can’t wait to experience it all.

Ricky B
Inside the Magic

Russell from CA on February 25th, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I was at the 60-hour opening party for the original Star Tours, and thought at the time that the only thing that would have made it perfect was if it is was in 3D…can’t wait for the adventure to continue!!

Michele Himmelberg on February 25th, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Hi Russell – Hope you like the 3D!

Matthew from ID on February 25th, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Star Tours should have opened on the 4th of May. (Star Wars Day) May the 4th be with you! Just sayin’

Michele Himmelberg on February 25th, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Very clever, Matthew!

Cecilia from CA on February 25th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I’m so excited for Star Tours! For sure I’ll be there opening day. I’m just sad I won’t be able to be there for opening of the Little Mermaid ride. *Sigh* Anyone else going to encounter this problem?

Jason on February 25th, 2011 at 5:23 pm

This summer is going to be awesome. Plus Electronica’s still going. I have a feel it’s going to be my home away from home this year :D

RUTH on February 25th, 2011 at 5:59 pm

It’s certainly a great time to be an annual passholder!!

Kelly on February 25th, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I just booked my room at the Grand California for that weekend! Gonna be there for opening day of Ariel’s Undersea Adventure! Just a few days before my birthday!

Fred from CA on February 25th, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Awesome! :)

I’m so glad that opening dates have been announced for all of these attractions.

Its going to be a VERY exciting time at the resort this summer!

Jennie on February 25th, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Love those new floats. Can’t wait to see the parade and Ariel’s new digs.

Alisa on February 25th, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Great timing! Our 7-day stay starts June 3rd! So excited we will get to enjoy the new rides, but disappointed that the crowds will probably be significantly larger.

Fred from CA on February 25th, 2011 at 8:59 pm

…Any word on when Goofy’s Sky School and the new dining area will open in California Adventure?

Michele Himmelberg on February 28th, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Hi Fred. The transformation of Paradise Pier will soon be complete. We’ll keep you updated here on the Blog as details are finalized. Thanks for being a loyal reader!

Josee from QC on February 25th, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I’m excited for Star Tours!! However, I won’t be going to Disneyland this year, but I’ll be at Disney World on May 20th for the opening of Star Tours there!

Aaron on February 25th, 2011 at 9:26 pm

May 20th can’t come soon enough! Can’t wait to blast off to new destinations and rub elbows with the Republic’s finest!

Aaron on February 25th, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Sounds like Mickey’s Soundsational will be the next Spectro! Here’s to its legacy!

Loren from CA on February 25th, 2011 at 10:29 pm

My head is about to exlpode. I am SOOOO excited about ALL of this! I can’t even tell you which I’m most excited about. I will stand in line for hours in need be to ride Ariel’s Undersea Adventure and Star Tours. And, I weep (in a good way) every time I think about Soundsational. Finally, a real parade for the first time in YEARS! Yay!

Shelley on February 25th, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Are they having any special opening events for Little Mermaid Ride? Similar to the one they did for Tower of Terror.

Brian from CA on February 26th, 2011 at 12:14 am

I was so right! Several mounths ago either in a blog comment or on the Facebook page, I said that they were probely going to open both of the New Attraction on the same day if not the same weekend because of media purposes! I Was So Right!!!!

Katherine on February 26th, 2011 at 1:45 am

So glad we finally have the date for this – Now to start working towards trip over. This Aussie Star Wars Geek is going to go nuts

Alix on February 26th, 2011 at 2:04 am

Dang it! I was hoping they would open while we were down there in May. Aw man! Guess I will just have to save the experience for the honeymoon trip in ’12!

Nate on February 26th, 2011 at 2:51 am

will jodi benson be there june 3rd I wanna meet her

Angela on February 26th, 2011 at 4:43 am

Oh man that’s no good. I was hoping those would open earlier, we’re going there for part of our honeymoon in the last week of May. I had heard the Little Mermaid ride would open around that time so I got my hopes up that it would be when we were going. Guess we’ll have to go back before our annual passes expire in September!

Lisa on February 26th, 2011 at 4:54 am

Awesome! Colouful dreams come ture!

Deborah from CA on February 26th, 2011 at 11:16 am

Any hope of a A.P. or D23 preview party?

kacey on February 26th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

What? I’m so SAD! Me and my Family are coming over Memorial Day Weekend and we won’t be able to catch ANY of the new rides coming out!!! We come to DL ever 4 years and we’re just missing the openings :’(….. Any way you can bumb them in your power? It never hurts to ask!:D

kacey on February 26th, 2011 at 2:37 pm

i ment bump up the grand opening sorry…. ;)

Michael on February 27th, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I can’t wait, I’ll be going on June 13, will they all still be going then.

Amy on February 27th, 2011 at 4:37 pm

My girls will love this. I hope we can make it out this summer!

Bobby from CA on February 28th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Is there going to be any special events for Premium Passholders for these events? It would be totally awesome if there was.

Brian from CA on February 28th, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I am going to the June 2nd Grad Night, will Star Tours be open for it will I have to leave the park, and then stand in the outragous line for the new attraction?

Jennifer on February 28th, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Our group has been planning our trip for Memorial weekend for a few months now because it was rumored that the new attractions would open the beginning of May sometime. Such a bummer!!! Michele, is there any possiblity that there will be a “soft” opening over memorial day weekend? Seems odd Disney would wait until the weekend after a big holiday to open the new attractions.

Jean from VA on March 3rd, 2011 at 2:54 pm

This is awesome news. I can’t wait for all the new stuff to open. We thought we were moving to SoCal this summer, but it’s been pushed back til next summer, so looks like most of the stuff will be open. it’s been too long since we were last at Disneyland – Dec 2006. This will be better since we’ll have the kids to enjoy it with us. :) until then, Disneyland Paris, here we come (stationed in Germany)

Kimberly on March 4th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Is the date really set? I want to book my plane tickets for that weekend but I’ll be disappointed if they don’t open.

Thanks,
Kim

Javier on March 9th, 2011 at 2:29 am

Is this official info???

I dont wanna get there and there’s nothing…..

And is didn’t will sell special tickets for the firsts flights on star tours?

Like they did on the last flights?

Candace on March 10th, 2011 at 8:08 pm

So excited to see these new attractions and cant wait until we visit the park again!

amber on March 13th, 2011 at 6:01 am

I have been waiting years for this ride to open. Sooo on June 3rd I’m taking my nice (who loves Ariel & in our family is Ariel and June 3rd is her birthday) to wait however long it takes to get on the ride that day! She and I can’t contain the YYYAAAAHHHHH!!!!