Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios

George Lucas Visits Star Tours at Disneyland Park

posted on February 2nd, 2011 by Tom Fitzgerald, Executive VP & Senior Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering

George Lucas visits Star Tours at Disneyland Park

It was a big day for Star Tours recently, as Star Wars creator George Lucas, joined by producer Rick McCallum, paid a visit to Disneyland Park to take a few test rides on the attraction with our Walt Disney Imagineering team. After experiencing adventures to several of the Star Wars worlds aboard the Starspeeder 1000, George and Rick gave the team a big thumbs up on their progress. George even took a moment to pose with the Audio-Animatronics figure of C-3PO in the Starspeeder cockpit!

Stay tuned for more Star Tours updates.

Filed: Celebrity Visits, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

22 Comments 1 Reply

Clayton on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:36 pm

This is fantastic! Hopefully I can get out there for one of the inaugural runs!

Jim on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:37 pm

If you need someone to take test rides on the revised Star Tours at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in early-to-mid March (you know, to get a guest’s perspective on things), then I could certainly help out. You know, in the interest of research and all that!

Fred from CA on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:51 pm

So cool!

I’m really looking forward to the new Star Tours.

Thanks for the post Tom! :)

Catherine from CA on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:53 pm

How cool for Mr. Lucas to visit. I’m really looking forward to Star Tours returning in the spring.

Jason on February 2nd, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Are the actual simulators the same, or will there be newer simulators replacing the old ones from the 80′s?

Tom Fitzgerald on February 2nd, 2011 at 9:53 pm

The simulators that you know and love from the original Star Tours show will remain, but be re-programmed for the new and exciting new adventures through the Star Wars galaxy. Onboard you can expect some modifications, from designs, digital 3D projection and of course an all-new (but familiar) droid pilot!

Paul on February 2nd, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I can’t wait! I definately need to get my annual pass renewed with all the new attractions opening up Disneyland and California Adventure.

Thomas from TX on February 2nd, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I’m thrilled about the ride upgrade. In fact, I’m trying to plan a vacation to Orlando so that I can ride it on opening day!

Terry from PA on February 2nd, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Is it true that there will be multiple ride experiences? Like trips to different worlds randomly selected each time?

Of course there is one thing you guys can *never* change: the Star Tours chime in the line queue! Doo do da doo! ;)

Ian on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Any chance of public testing…say end of Feb? lol

Shawn on February 3rd, 2011 at 12:16 am

Awesome! Always look forward for news on Star Tours!

Tony on February 3rd, 2011 at 12:40 am

MORE UPDATES PLEASE!! This is going to be so amazing.

Ernesto on February 3rd, 2011 at 2:18 am

One real quick question Tom, when exactly is the reimagined Star Tours opening in Disneyland. I want to make plans to go and see it!

Victory on February 3rd, 2011 at 11:45 am

Wow. They are farther along than I thought! I am really looking forward to this. If the new ride can approach the thrill of the opening shots of Revenge of the Sith, I will be very happy.

Douglas on February 3rd, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Advance rides for D23-Premium Annual Pass Holders? :-)

michael on February 3rd, 2011 at 7:48 pm

great photo:)
i’m really hoping that there’s alot of fun in store when everything is all said and done.
may the force be with you:)

Brian from CA on February 4th, 2011 at 2:29 am

What I happy about is that its going to be open for Grad Night so the lines won’t be so long :)

Matthew on February 4th, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Am I the only one who is going to miss Paul Rubens’ voice?

Sophie on February 6th, 2011 at 11:22 am

Does anyone know when Star Tours is going to be finished? I’m coming in April from England and it’s one of the rides I really wanted to go on!

Aaron on February 7th, 2011 at 8:36 am

Thanks George for bringing us such an iconic franchise. Great partnership with Disney and ILM – can’t wait to see the finished product, May 2011??

Chris from CA on February 7th, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I hope Paul Ruben’s voice is on this version. I know the droid will be different, but the voice could be the same or used elsewhere. I can’t wait to ride it over….and over…and over again.

Aaron on February 7th, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Can’t wait. Will there be a special event planned for the Disneyland reopen dates for the Star Tours attraction? When is the date going to be released for Disneyland CA.? Why doesnt Disneyland have a Star Wars Fan Days event? Thanks.

Fred from CA on February 9th, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Tom,

Thank you again for updating us on Star Tours, and please update us again ASAP. :)

I am really looking forward to the new Star Tours!