Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse Statue at Walt Disney World Resort

Keel Laying Ceremony Marks a Milestone for the Disney Fantasy Today

posted on February 11th, 2011 by Jason Lasecki, Public Relations Director, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures By Disney, Disney Vacation Club

This morning in Papenburg, Germany, I watched the Disney Fantasy move a step closer to reality as Disney Cruise Line celebrated the keel laying during a special ceremony at the Meyer Werft shipyard.

President of Disney Cruise Line, Karl Holz, Minnie Mouse and Meyer Werft Shipyard Managing Partner, Bernard Meyer celebrate at the Disney Fantasy keel laying ceremony.

I felt honored to witness such a monumental moment. The keel laying marks a significant milestone in the ship building process – it’s when the first block, or section of the ship, is lowered into the building dock and a coin is placed under the keel for good fortune.

The coin placed under the keel of the Disney Fantasy for good fortune.

Karl Holz, President of Disney Cruise Line, placed the coin in the keel today with assistance from Minnie Mouse. And, we captured the event for you to see!

Karl Holz, President of Disney Cruise Line and Minnie Mouse get ready to place the coin in the keel for the Disney Fantasy.

With assistance from Minnie Mouse, Karl Holz, President of Disney Cruise Line, places the coin in the keel for the Disney Fantasy.

Part of the Disney Cruise Line fleet, the 4,000-passenger Disney Fantasy is the second of two newly designed ships that take the family cruise experience to all new heights.

The Disney Fantasy will join her sister ship, the Disney Dream, in Port Canaveral, Florida, to sail 7-night Caribbean cruises, with the maiden voyage scheduled for March 31, 2012. It will be here before we know it!

The Disney Fantasy will offer many of the innovations that the Disney Dream features and brought to the cruise industry for the very first time, including AquaDuck – the world’s first shipboard water coaster. However, the Disney Fantasy will include a few new design elements and guest experiences that will give the ship her own unique identity. Stay tuned over the next several months as we reveal more details.

Rendering of the Disney Fantasy.

Do you want to be one of the first to sail on the Disney Fantasy? Well, I have good news. You can actually book a Disney Cruise Line vacation on the Disney Fantasy now – just visit disneycruise.com or call 888-DCL-2500. We hope to see you aboard next year!

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

Ritzy from RI on February 11th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Already booked in a Fantasy magical voyage! I can’t wait!!!

Judson on February 11th, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Wow! Are you kidding?! The Dream was just commissioned and they’re starting on another ship already? I guess Disney never stands still. I’m glad they don’t :)

barbara on February 11th, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Already booked on the maiden voyage. Did the maiden on the Magic, Wonder and the Dream. only fitting to do the Fantasy. It will be cruise #50 on Disney!!!!!!

Shelly from IL on February 11th, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Just got back from the MV of the Dream and now I’m counting the days until the MV of the Fantasy!!

Trisha from TX on February 11th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

SO SO SO SO SO EXCITED!! We are booked in May 2012, it will be my first cruise, and I am thrilled! I have loved watching the Dream come to life, and now I get to watch my ship get built!!! Oh Cant wait!!!

Constance from VA on February 11th, 2011 at 1:51 pm

So is this the official confirmation that Minnie will be the atrium statue on the Fantasy (since Donald played the same role at the Dream’s christening?)

Joseph on February 11th, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Karl’s had a busy month! Got to see him on one of the preview cruises on the Dream (standing 5 feet away from Karl Holz was a pretty cool moment!) and he’s already back in Germany for the Fantasy. He’s got to be like a kid in a candy store right now. Kudos to him and his outstanding team, and thanks so much for keeping us up to date. These Disney Parks blogs are AWESOME!

Manuel on February 11th, 2011 at 2:14 pm

We believe on The Dream that brings us The Wanders of The Magic to keep The Fantasy alive for EVER.

Barbara from PA on February 11th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

How exciting!! We are booked for a cruise on the Fantasy in May 2012!! Can’t wait to see her progress in the coming months!!

Abraham from NJ on February 11th, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Where is the number 5 after Dream and Fantasy?

Alecia from LA on February 11th, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is so exciting! I will be following the building of the Fantasy from beginning to end. We booked for 2012 while aboard the Magic last year.

Brad from NM on February 11th, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Hey barbara… you wanna adopt me? I am a little od maybe to be adopted (54), but I promise to clean my room! :)
How exciting to be going on your 50th. Congrats!

Carole from FL on February 11th, 2011 at 4:49 pm

ANOTHER KEEP LAYING? WOW AND SO THE FANTASY BEGINS. GOD BLESS YOU AND MAY TIME FLY TO BY TO ANOTHER WONDERFUL CHRISTENING AND WELCOME TO AMERICA.

Debra from OK on February 11th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

We booked our 7 day Western the day the dates were released in Oct. Now it actually feels real!!!

Barbara from NY on February 11th, 2011 at 6:46 pm

So exciting!!!! Just did maiden voyage on the Dream can’t wait to see the Fantasy on the maiden voyage in March 2012!!!!!

Stacie on February 11th, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Booked my cruise on the Fantasy back in Dec. Can’t wait until April 28, 2012. The best cruise line ever! We went on the Disney Magic last March for my daughter’s 7th birthday and we all had a blast. Keep making ships Disney cruise line!

Edmund from FL on February 12th, 2011 at 8:58 am

I am looking forward to sailing on the FANTASY in 2012, I am waiting to be able to book a cruise on the FANTASY in October 2012. Currently bookings only available through August 2012.

Andrew from NJ on February 12th, 2011 at 9:53 am

Planning to book my “Retirement Cruise” (October 2012) for the Fantasy.

Jim from OR on February 12th, 2011 at 10:55 am

These new Disney ships are a far cry from the Star Ship Cruise Lines that Disney partnered with in the 1990′s. While any cruise is fun, I suspect that now that Disney has complete control it will be a “much more” Disney experience. I hope to someday once again be able to cruise with Disney and experience these new Disney themed and run ships and all the fun I know I would have. The Oceanic was fun, but that was 20 years ago…wish me luck on the lotto so I can once again get to see and enjoy a truly fun time on either the Dream or Fantasy…

Jean from MA on February 12th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

looking forward to watching her being built and then sailing in April 2012!!

Mary from RI on February 12th, 2011 at 9:31 pm

My husband just came back from the maiden voyage of the Dream,and we are going on the maiden voyage of the Fantasy. It will be our fourth cruise!

Rita from CO on February 13th, 2011 at 11:37 am

Wow this is so exciting..we are scheduled on the Fantasy’s maiden voyage..can’t wait.. Thanks Disney

B.A. (Skip) from ON on February 13th, 2011 at 6:11 pm

We are booked on the Maiden Voyage of the Fantasy with the new friends we made on our last Disney Magic Cruise!!We are 4 adults but are way more excited than kids!!!Counting down the days!!!!Never2old4Disney!!!

Fiona on February 14th, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Wow! Fantastic! we just can’t wait! we were truly privilaged guests on the voyage of the Dream all the way from Germany to Florida, It was an unforgetably humbling experience that we will cherish for the rest of our lives. We are so greatful for the experience and the chance to see the Disney Dream at such a “behind the scenes viewing” that just made us realise how much time, effort, energy and most of all love of the company that goes into every single fiber of the Disney family’s being, from the VP down to the deck hand! We hope that we are fortunate enough to bring home the Fantasy as well!

As UK citizens awaiting our green card visa process, it was a truly emotional experience to arrive back home with the Dream this year in Orlando and to see the heartfelt diplay of patriotism that is sadly no longer evident in the UK.

You all have our thanks and admiration.

(The Church Family, Wales, UK)

Tricia from CA on February 14th, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Wow I can’t wait!! Only 459 days till I step aboard the Fantasy!! WooHoo!! I get to watch as this ship is being built.

DANIELLE from MA on February 15th, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I can’t wait to see what new features The Fantasy is going to have. Already booked on the Fantasy for May 2012. It will be our first cruise. It has been so hard for my husband and I to keep this huge secret from our 2 kids, but so worth it in the end when I see the looks on their faces.

Natalie from Dorset on February 19th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Booked Fantasy for our honeymoon in September 2012 this week….to say we are excited is an understatement!!!

Cindy on February 20th, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Entire family is Booked for April 21st 2012- SOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!! first cruise for many of us in the group!!!

Pamela from NJ on February 22nd, 2011 at 12:43 am

Planning on going on our second Disney cruise on The Fantasy in October, 2012. We’ll book it as soon as that month becomes available. Took our first cruise on the Magic this past October to celebrate our 25th anniversary and had a wonderful time. Can’t wait till October 2012.

Nathan on March 2nd, 2011 at 10:13 am

We are booked for a cruise on the Fantasy in May 2012! We are so excited!