Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays from Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa at the Walt Disney World Resort

Florida Orange Bird Merchandise Returns to Walt Disney World

posted on February 11th, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Do you remember the Florida Orange Bird?

This unique character, who appeared exclusively at Magic Kingdom Park in the 1970s, recently reappeared on new T-shirts available at Epcot.

=

The Florida Orange Bird originally greeted families at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland, where guests could buy frozen citrus drinks and shop for Florida Orange Bird merchandise. The character also starred in orange juice commercials and even had his own record, which was released in 1971 to feature “The Orange Bird Song” – a tune penned by the Sherman Brothers (composers of “Mary Poppins” and “The Jungle Book” songs).

=

Although the character disappeared from the park by 1981, Florida Orange Bird merchandise has been a popular collectible among Disney fans for years.

Tagged:

Filed: Disney History, Walt Disney World Resort

Suzannah from FL on February 11th, 2011 at 11:08 am

Some of my fondest first memories of Walt Disney World are getting a drink at Sunshine Tree Terrace in the little plastic orange with a green straw. I can’t remember if we saw the character but I have one of the original figures too. Love Orange Bird and so glad to see him back! (I have the t-shirt above too!) Thanks for bringing back a classic Disney memory.

Kelly on February 11th, 2011 at 11:28 am

I have this bird on a necklace my father bought along time ago…

Craig on February 11th, 2011 at 11:30 am

They have new pins with the orange bird today too.

Michelle on February 11th, 2011 at 11:33 am

My brother and I each had a small plastic figure of him when we were little. We bought them at the Polynesian.

Juliann on February 11th, 2011 at 11:34 am

I had one of those orange sippy cups- shaped like an orange with a green lid and straw. It was my special cup at my grandmother’s house for years.

Mary Ann on February 11th, 2011 at 11:36 am

Remember the bird from the first time I went to Disney world around 1975. Did love drinking out of the plastic oranges, it reminded me of the NY Worlds Fair Florida Pavilion. Are those back too?? Smart Disney, return to what always worked!! =)

melissa on February 11th, 2011 at 11:44 am

I love this bird!! i first visited FL in 1979 (4 years old) when we ran from a hurricane that was bound for Galveston, TX and my mother was unable to join us bc she works for the electric company and had mandatory work, but i saw this cute FL plate with the bird and an orange on it and had to have it for her. That was the first plate she received as a present and she stills has it. I hope they have the t-shirts in Dec when we make our family trip to FL for the holidays.

Lori from FL on February 11th, 2011 at 11:48 am

I have my picture with him from 1978 and have been collecting all of the new Orange Bird merchandise. I love the Mickey ears they have addd to him.

Amy from OK on February 11th, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Ahh, those orange cups are one of things I remember from my first trip in1979 (3yrs). My brother is visiting WDW soon. I may need to add this shirt to his shopping list.

Laurie on February 11th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I still have my orange cup with the green top!! I am so excited this is coming back. I am purchasing myself a shirt, now!!
You made a 38 year old woman’s day with this. The little things!!!

Michael from NC on February 11th, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I just wish the Orange Bird didn’t have those weird mouse ears in all the new merchandise – he didn’t have those originally!

It’s great to see him get some love, but I wish there was more Orange Bird presence… It seems like it’s either just pins or women’s t-shirts – neither does me any good!

Robert from FL on February 11th, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I want the Orange Bird back for real, not just merch.

Randy on February 11th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I remember getting frozen Orange Juice at the Sunshine Tree Terrace. There was an orange tree in the ceiling area behind the counter. The Orange Bird was in the tree and a though balloon that read “Think ORANGE” would disappear and reappear with a Pepper’s Ghost type of effect. I always thought that was really cool! Wish it was still there.

Sarah on February 11th, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Can you purchase this shirt online? I love it, but I won’t be back to Disney World for a while, as our first child is due in 11 short weeks! :)

SANDRA on February 11th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

My grandparents lived near Orlando in the 70s, so I remember a family vacation to visit them and spending a day at the Magic Kingdom. My brother and I were allowed one souvenir each, and mine was an Orange Bird ring. I wish I still had that ring. Thanks for the memories!

Zachary on February 11th, 2011 at 3:05 pm

How about some guy stuff? I think Disney needs to make more Orange Bird merchandise! I think it would sell very well.

Julie from ME on February 11th, 2011 at 5:03 pm

..Love the orange bird!! I also have lots of great memories of the ‘Orange bird’ from family trips to WDW when I was a little girl..I remember buying lots of the souveniers from the Emporium on Main St. I had the bank, toothpick holder, teacup/plate, etc. On my most recent trip to WDW this Fall, I was so excited to see OB making a comeback! I bought that cute orange tee & a tote..Cant’t wait to pick up more things when we go back this Sept!! Love that WDW is bringing back some of the ‘vintage’ things that make WDW a classic..Keep it coming!!

robert on February 12th, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Curious why The Orange Bird merchandise isnt being featured in Adventureland near The Tropical Serenade (The Enchanted Tiki Birds)….???? Was always his traditional home at the MK back in the day….

Barbara from DE on February 15th, 2011 at 8:40 pm

One of my favorite pictures is of my daughter with the Florida orange bird. The bird held her in a big hug while I snapped the picture since my daughter was terrified of the characters and that was the only way to get her picture with one of them.

Matt on February 17th, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Please bring the Orange Bird back to the Magic Kingdom. This character is so much more than merchandise!

Justin on February 21st, 2011 at 10:02 am

I have a picture of me and the Orange bird ca. 1981! I remember feeling I was just way too old to be character-greeting at age 10, but my Mom made me, and now its one of my most cherished photos from our many WDW trips we took when I was a child! Like many others, I’d love to be able to get a little orange container with the green straw when I go back again in the fall!

Jamie on February 27th, 2011 at 9:48 am

Are these still available? I heard they started selling back in August only in Epcot in the American Adventure….