Disney Parks Blog Celebrates the 20th Anniversary of Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disney Parks Unveils New Annie Leibovitz Disney Dream Portraits

posted on March 3rd, 2011 by George Savvas, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

Today, we are unveiling some spectacular new images by acclaimed photographer Annie Leibovitz, who continues to lend her vision to the successful Disney Dream Portrait series we began just more than four years ago. Each portrait features well-known celebrities transformed into the role of famous Disney characters.

The three latest Disney Dream Portraits are the first new images in the series since 2009, and for the first time we’ve included a couple of the most wicked Disney villains ever!

I told you yesterday we were getting ready for something wild. I suppose you now know I actually meant “something Wilde!” There were so many great comments posted here on the Disney Parks Blog, Facebook and Twitter yesterday – congratulations to Alyssa and Shari for being among the first to correctly identify our celebrity, and what she is doing!

As the Evil Queen, Olivia Wilde joins Alec Baldwin as the spirit of the magic mirror from “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” In the dark depths of her lair, the Queen has summoned the mirror’s spirit through wind and darkness to reveal the identity of a lovelier maid than she. The caption reads, “Where magic speaks, even when you’re not the fairest of them all.”

Olivia Wilde as the Evil Queen and Alec Baldwin as the Spirit of the Magic Mirror from 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'

Penelope Cruz and Jeff Bridges appear as Belle and the transformed prince, recalling the final scene from “Beauty and the Beast.” The celebratory moment is captioned, “Where a moment of beauty lasts forever.”

Penelope Cruz and Jeff Bridges in the Final Scene from 'Beauty and the Beast'

Finally, coming ashore as Ursula from “The Little Mermaid” is none other than Queen Latifah. The caption reads, “Where memories take hold and never let go.”

Queen Latifah as Ursula from 'The Little Mermaid'

So, here’s a difficult question: do you have a favorite? I’m sorry to have to ask, but, “life’s full of tough choices… innit?”

You can find these stunning images and more as part of a special insert in the April issues of O – The Oprah Magazine, People En Español, Real Simple, Essence, and InStyle as well as the March 28 issue of People.

Next week, I’ll take you behind the scenes of some of these amazing photo shoots and you’ll have a chance to see just how Annie creates these inspired images of Disney fantasy come to life.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Karen from MA on March 4th, 2011 at 8:07 am

I love them all but my favorite is Olivia Wilde as the Wicked Queen. Fantastic!

Meliza on March 4th, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Oh man, Queen Latifah as Ursula is my pick for sure!!! I saw some behind the scenes pictures and love, love love, that the Queen is in an actual suit with tentacles and all!! As a kid, when I first saw The Little Mermaid, my first sights of Ursula both scared and enthralled me!!! She was mean but just looked so cool! And she had short hair! Just sayin’.

Julie on March 4th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

EVIL QUEEN …all are very awesome, but she is my favorite villain !

lilly on March 4th, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I love the one of Belle. Its perfect! Almost like a painting!

Christie on March 4th, 2011 at 5:59 pm

WOW! How awesome are these! I have to go with Oliva Wilde as the Wicked Queen as my fave!
So, I just have to ask…when are WE going to get a piece of the fun? The celebs get Annie’s great shots, the kiddos get the Bibidi Bobidi Boutique and the Pirates League,…I’d love to see a boutique added to the parks where “The Big Kids” can dress up as our favorite characters for picture opps like this! How fun would that be??? Hmmm, I think I would opt in for Rapunzel! :)

David on March 4th, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Queen Latifah get my vote!!

Karen on March 4th, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I’ve always been a sucker for anything Snow White, so it’s not hard to guess who my favorite is here. Not to mention Olivia Wilde earned my love as Quorra in the amazing TRON Legacy.

Karen on March 4th, 2011 at 7:53 pm

P.S. I completely agree with Christie! I would go crazy for a boutique like that, I’d of course have to be Snow White!

Jacqueline on March 4th, 2011 at 10:49 pm

All 3 of these images taken from Annie are mesmerizing! The image from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, with Olivia Wilde and Alec Baldwin, stands out the most to me, though. They do seem extremely digitally enhanced, but that’s the age we live in today. Nevertheless, these are impeccable.

*Side note: Does anyone have the link to the previous Disney Dream Portraits? I’m hoping I’ll find it the second I type it into the search engine *crossing fingers*

Hana on March 5th, 2011 at 4:29 am

Beauty and the beast! but I love the dramatic facial expression on olivia wilde’s face.
fantastic!

the other disney dream portraits were cool too. favorite are the peter pan ones!

lizz on March 6th, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this entire series!!

Brandon on March 6th, 2011 at 3:31 pm

As usual, the photos are gorgeous. I think my favorite is Ursula; you couldn’t have found anyone better for that than Queen Latifah. I just wanted to ask one question. Is there any place where the photos are collected together? They used to be featured on their own page, but it disappeared and they’ve been kind of scattered since. They’re so beautiful they deserve to be highlighted together, I think.

Melinda on March 7th, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I have always loved the AL-Disney pictures that come out. I’ve found that I cycle through them as my desktop background. The pictures are always fantastic and I have yet to see a caption that isn’t purely perfect to go along with it!
My favorite of this set – Olivia Wilde as Evil Queen
(My all time favorite – a *major* tie between Rachel Weisz as Snow White AND Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella)

Kim on March 7th, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Oh, please, PLEASE find a way for these to be released for us! Hi-res desktop images, posters, anything. I’d buy the B&tB one in an instant. :D

(Coffee-table book? Anyone?)

Amy on March 7th, 2011 at 7:26 pm

These are great photos but what about Lady Tremaine? She was a fabulous and evil villain who is always, I shall repeat ALWAYS forgotten. As a huge Cinderella fan it really disappoints me when they do these collaborations and Lady Tremaine is left out. I know that Cinderella has come back in the spotlight over the past 10-15 years but if it weren’t for Lady Tremaine there would have been no story! And for all of you who may not know, if there was not a Cinderella there would not be a Disney empire – so how about some time in the spot light for the evil stepmother?!

Lindsay from NY on March 8th, 2011 at 9:56 am

These are incredible! Annie does such a great job. I think the Roger Federer one will always be my favorite!

Melanie on March 8th, 2011 at 6:19 pm

OMG!! FABULOUS!! Are the previous pics and these ones being compiled in a book to be purchased? I would love to have them all!!

Linda from NH on March 8th, 2011 at 7:09 pm

At last count, I believe Annie Leibovitz has done 14 of these.

Orville from SC on March 8th, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I love the Beauty and the Beast one! (I love the film, and think the casting was a nice choice too!)

Kristen on March 10th, 2011 at 2:05 am

Beauty and the Beast is my favorite film, but Queen Latifah as Ursula is absolutely stunning! It is such a powerful, stand-out photo. I really think Annie can do no wrong, I am continuously in awe of her work!

Daniel from FL on March 10th, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Truly the most spectacular series of photographs ever produced for Disney.

Brandy from WA on March 16th, 2011 at 3:09 am

My favorite is Queen Latifah as Ursula. I LOVE it! I love the little Mermaid and I LOVE Ursula and I can’t think of a better Ursula- spot on beautiful, the most beautiful & fierce photo thus far.

But I must echo Melanie and others.. BOOOK BOOK BOOK! Is there a book and I’ve missed it?
Book~! Better… a series of books!! Every (couple?) years or perhaps whenever a dozen images have been accumulated. (How many have been completed thus far–I think I’ve seen 12-14 or so.)
The first half could be the photos, the second half behind the scenes of the shoot!!!
Okay I’ll put the microphone away now. :)

Catherine on March 25th, 2011 at 2:47 pm

They are all beautiful, but there is something about Belle looking away from the Beast that takes away from the moment for me. (She looks like she is hoping another prince will come by to sweep her off her feet instead!)

Favorite has to be Queen Latifah as Ursula – this one is amazing!

Monique on April 1st, 2011 at 1:59 pm

These are so amazing! I love the evil queen portrait as well as the beauty and the beast. So breath taking.