Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Waikolohe Valley Takes Shape at Aulani

posted on March 21st, 2011 by John McClintock, Disney Public Relations

It’s a pity, but I don’t get to spend all my time on Oahu. I did get to visit the site of Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa last week, and I brought back the latest video of construction progress.

This is really exciting for me because, for the first time, I think you can really see some of the key recreation elements taking shape in the Resort’s central Waikolohe Valley.

In the foreground you can spot Menehune Bridge, possibly the handiwork of the Islands’ legendary little people. When completed, it will be a 2,200-square-foot, interactive water play area for children.

Further in the background is one of the great landmarks of Waikolohe Valley, Pu‘u Kino. It means “hidden faces in the lava” and if you look closely, you may already be able to detect a few of the hidden images. Pu‘u Kino will be, among other things, the home of two water slides and a gateway to floating down Waikolohe Stream.

Between Pu‘u Kino and Menehune Bridge you can spot workers in Rainbow Reef, which will become a snorkeling experience where Aulani guests can have up-close encounters with an array of live marine life.

While I was at the Aulani site, Djuan Rivers, vice president of Disney Vacation Club and Resort, Hawai‘i, provided some great information about each of these Aulani features. I’ll share the video of his comments in upcoming posts.

Filed: Aulani, Disney Vacation Club

Dustan on March 21st, 2011 at 5:20 pm

When will Aulani start taking reservations?

John McClintock on March 22nd, 2011 at 3:21 pm

You can book an Aulani vacation right now by visiting http://www.disneyaulani.com.

Michelle on March 21st, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Dustan,

I believe they are already taking reservations. My brother has booked a wedding for November a few months ago.

Amber on March 21st, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I was just there on the 12th watching the construction. It looks beautiful so far. The pool area looks like it is going to be amazing. The resort is so big! How many restaurants will there be? Ko Olina is missing a good variety of restaurants.

John McClintock on March 22nd, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Restaurants at Aulani will include ‘AMA‘AMA, named for a mullet fish abundant in the waters adjacent to Aulani, and featuring contemporary island cooking. (You can see the peaked roof of ‘AMA‘AMA over the right slope of Pu‘u Kino in the video.) Makahiki, named for the annual new year’s festival, will be a family-friendly buffet restaurant offering breakfast with Disney Characters and casual dinners of fresh local and world fare, fresh salads with local greens, rotating carving station, Asian-inspired entrees and house-made desserts. One Paddle, Two Paddle will be a quick service restaurant serving freshly-made sandwiches and wraps, plus a children’s menu. I’ll be telling you more about these restaurants (and their adjoining lounges) in future posts.

Todd from CA on March 21st, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Love it John. I bought into Aulani the moment DVC started selling it. Something I’m really looking forward to for the rest of my life. ;-)

Michelle on March 22nd, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I absolutely cannot wait! This will definitely be our next Disney vacation! Keep the video updates coming! :)

- Michelle from NOLA