'World of Color' at Disney California Adventure Park

Backstage Tours Offer Insider’s Look at Disney Parks

posted on April 12th, 2011 by Stacey Thomson, Global Public Relations Manager, Disney Institute

One of the most interesting and educational aspects of Disney Institute is its backstage tours at Disney Parks. These tours give guests an insider’s look at how Disney makes the magic. Most of them are for business professionals who are learning Disney best practices. But we also offer unique tours for guests vacationing at Walt Disney World Resort – tours that cover multiple theme parks in the same day.

Take a Behind-the-Scenes Tour at Walt Disney World Resort

The most popular tour, Backstage Magic, was just refreshed with new experiences and content. This tour is just over seven hours long and includes walking through the tunnels under the Magic Kingdom, behind the screen at The American Adventure at Epcot, lunch at Whispering Canyon Cafe and a unique look at the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Wrap up the day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park with an up-close look at Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade.

Check out this video of the tour, led by Disney Institute facilitator Mark Matheis. For more information or to book a tour, click here.

Filed: Walt Disney World Resort

JoAnn from ND on April 12th, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Mark was one of our tour guides! He was great and absolutely made it more magical! Our tour was the first week they added Animal Kingdom. It was a wonderful surprise we found out on the bus.

Stacey Thomson on April 12th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Hi, JoAnn — thanks so much for the kind words about Mark. He’s a great facilitator!

Brian from CA on April 12th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Can we be expecting this kind of tour to come to the DLR and will AP get special discounts?

Stacey Thomson on April 12th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Hey Brian — unfortunately these tours are not currently offered at Disneyland. I’ll be sure to let you know if/when that changes!

Sean on April 12th, 2011 at 3:30 pm

What does one of these tours cost?

Stacey Thomson on April 12th, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Hi, Sean. Backstage Magic is 6-8 hours long and costs $224 per person (ages 16 and up). Lunch is included.

Rafael from SP on April 12th, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I did this tour last January and Mark was our guide then – I believe he said ours was the first group of 2011. It was great to know more about the operation of the parks and I intend to do many other tours on my next visits. Thank you guys for a great time!

Stacey Thomson on April 13th, 2011 at 9:40 am

Thanks, Rafael!

Erin on April 12th, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I did this tour last year! It was absolutely fabulous. Definitely worth every penny. I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves to learn about the extra magic in Disney!

Stacey Thomson on April 13th, 2011 at 9:39 am

Thanks, Erin!

Bill from IL on April 12th, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I have done a number of the “behind the scenes” tours. I have now done Backstage Magic three times. I am in the park and Recreation field and love learning how Disney does everything. I have always been a “nuts and bolts” kind of guy. You learn how everything works and how the engine that is Disney works. I have even met Park Managers backstage and to me that is a thrill. I hope to go back some time to see how they have tweaked the tour. Thank you for a thrill a minute for seven hours!!

Stacey Thomson on April 13th, 2011 at 9:39 am

Thank YOU for joining us, Bill. Sounds like you’ll love the new additions we’ve made! Look forward to hosting you again soon.

Janet on April 12th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

my brother and I took this tour last October. It was easily the highlight of our vacation! (and that’s saying a lot–it was Food and Wine time!)
Mark is an excellent guide and this tour is well worth the price of the ticket. Ours ran at almost 8hrs that day, but I wanted it to go on longer!! It was fascinating!

Stacey Thomson on April 13th, 2011 at 9:37 am

Thanks for the feedback, Janet. I’ll be sure to pass your kind comments to Mark.

Kathy on April 12th, 2011 at 7:36 pm

My husband and I took this tour March 3, 2011.
It was definitely a fabulous experience! Our
tour guide was Sean, and he did a wonderful job
explaining everything. It was also great that
you could always hear what he said, since we
all had a hearing device. The dinner was absolutely
awesome with a lot of great tasting food. The
waiters at the restaurant also added a comical highlight
to the dinner. We would highly recommend this tour!

Stacey Thomson on April 13th, 2011 at 9:36 am

Thanks for the comment, Kathy, and so glad to hear that you enjoyed the tour. See you again real soon.

Ethan on April 13th, 2011 at 8:53 am

Do you have any tours for children that follow the Kingdom Keepers books?

Stacey Thomson on April 13th, 2011 at 9:32 am

Sorry — Disney’s Keys to the Kingdom tour is also reserved for guests 16 years of age and older. There’s a good reason for this: The tours include many backstage areas where it’s possible for children to see their favorite characters “out of character” so to speak. We prefer to preserve the magic for them. :)

Krista on April 14th, 2011 at 8:59 am

When will this be offered at Disneyland? I would love to see backstage at Disneyland. :)

Carla from SC on April 16th, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I am wondering if any of the tours offer an opportunity to view the Cinderella Suite in the castle at Magic Kingdom.

Stacey Thomson on April 18th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Sorry, Carla — none of the tours include a stop at Cinderella Suite. I’ll be sure to pass along the request, though.