Tokyo DisneySea, Tower of Terror

Enter for a Chance to Attend Our Latest Meet-Up: The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on April 22nd, 2011 by Michele Himmelberg, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

UPDATE–April 29: We’re thrilled with the great response from readers for the The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure Meet-Up. Entries are now closed and all entrants will be receiving a follow-up email indicating whether they have been chosen to participate in this event. Along with the rare opportunity to hear Walt Disney Imagineers and animators discuss the new Little Mermaid attraction, we have reserved viewing at Disney California Adventure park for the 8:30 p.m. performance of “World of Color” for this exclusive group. Guests attending the meet-up are not required to purchase admission to Disney California Adventure park.

We know some of you who are not attending will have questions about the concept and development of the attraction.  Please post your questions in the comments and we’ll do our best to present some of them at the meet-up.  We will post some of the answers here on the Disney Parks Blog following the meet-up and in real time during the event on Twitter. Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for additional meet-ups in the future.

We’ve taken you behind the scenes to see some of the amazing things the Walt Disney Imagineers are working on for the June 3 debut of The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure at Disney California Adventure park. We’ve shown you what it’s like to create not only the Ariel Audio-Animatronics figure, but also how to animate her hair.

We’ve given you a glimpse of how impressive Ursula will be when she gets settled into her lair.

And we’ve shown you the beautiful “clam shells” – the vehicles that will take you “under the sea.”

Now we’re inviting you to join us for a very special meet-up, featuring Walt Disney Imagineers Lisa Girolami, Larry Nikolai and Chris Crump from the attraction’s creative team, as well as Walt Disney animators Andreas Deja and Mark Henn who worked on the animated feature film on which the attraction is based. Their tales will also be featured in an article in the May issue of D23 Magazine.

The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel's Undersea Adventure

Today through April 28 at 11:59 p.m. (PDT), you can enter for a chance to attend our meet-up.

Those selected will be among an exclusive group at our panel discussion with the Walt Disney Imagineers and animators. The meet-up will be held May 10 at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. The team is still hard at work getting Scuttle, Sebastian and their friends ready to perform, so you will NOT be able to ride or visit the attraction.

Please carefully read the details on the form when you enter. As a reminder: You must be at least 18 years of age to enter, the meet-up does not require theme park admission and you must appear in person with a valid ID and your guest. If you are one of the 150 people randomly selected from our entries, you will be able to bring only one (1) guest. We will notify you by email if you are selected, with check-in details. All elements of this opportunity are subject to change without notice. Click here to register and learn more.

Are you excited to enter The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure Meet-Up? Good luck and I’ll see you there!

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Kristen on April 22nd, 2011 at 12:10 pm

aw man, what a let down! I was hoping the announcement would be something cool…there’s really nothing intriguing about this meetup; esp. since the imagineers’ “tales” will be in D23 mag. When are we going to have AP previews for the little mermaid?!

Nicholas from CA on April 22nd, 2011 at 12:16 pm

What time will the event be held at?

Michele Himmelberg on April 22nd, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Hi Nicholas. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m. Details will be provided if you are one of those randomly selected. Good luck!

David on April 22nd, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I am So upset!! I am the BIGGEST TLM fan and this Meet up sounds like its going to be amazing! unfortunately it takes place on my Grandmothers 70th birthday and I wont be able to attend =( oh well, I am still going to be first in line on June 3rd when the ride opens, and yes, I literally mean I will be the first one on that ride when it opens! =)

Amanda from CA on April 22nd, 2011 at 2:06 pm

David, you’ll have some stuff competition, not to mention still being after the cast members, APs, and random guests that have already ridden it during soft openings.

Friend on April 22nd, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I have an Ariel tattoo on my back. I win. :)

Emmanuel on April 22nd, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I entered! Even though it’s on a Tuesday, I’m willing to skip school just for this.

Carrie on April 22nd, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Ahh I was hoping there would be the option to ride the ride or at least walk through it….but would still be cool to meet the immagineers!!

Tammy on April 22nd, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I’m a HUGE Ariel(little mermaid)fan! My upper left arm is tattooed with the gang from little mermaid and I have red hair just like Ariel. I’m also a Premium pass holder so I think fans like me should get to go on this ride first!

Julie on April 22nd, 2011 at 6:18 pm

LOVE THESE MEET-UPS ! …I am excited, ride or no ride. The Walt Disney Imagineers are fantastic and The Toy Story Meet-up was very interesting…riding the ride was just a bonus ! Hope I get to go ! Because of these people Walt Disney’s Dream will never die ! Thanks to all the Imagineers we get to have FUN forever !

Tiffany on April 22nd, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I can only cross my fingers so hard for the opportunity to get an up close view of this ride. Ariel’s been my favorite princess since the movie came out when I was 2. I cannot wait for this ride!

Fred from CA on April 23rd, 2011 at 2:12 am

I read this post late, but I just entered.

Even though we won’t be able to ride the attraction, this still sounds like a very cool opportunity!

webster on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:26 am

A “meet up” celebrating what promises to be an exciting ride YET, no ride is offered as part of the meet. Seems odd yet I still entered. I just won’t be bringing anyone with me (if I am selected) because nobody I know can afford AP’s anymore, like I can. This is sort of a bitter sweet meet. Just wish we could ride the ride. Oh well.

Joel on April 23rd, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Aw man, this is 4 days before I come to disneyland. This would be really interesting to go to.

Rebecca on April 23rd, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Thanks for doing the selection by a sign up and random pick. I was never lucky enough (or fast enough) to be one of the first people when the sign ups started at a specific time and the first X number of people got on the list. :)

Sounds awesome! Good luck everyone!

Michele Himmelberg on May 4th, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Thanks for this input, Rebecca.

Karen on April 24th, 2011 at 3:58 am

#14 – My hubby and I each signed up on 4-22-11 and we sure hope that between the two of us, one of us will get the GOOD EMAIL, so we can bring the other!!

We’ve enjoyed the other blog meet-ups we’ve been to in the past and even tho this one won’t include a ride on the attraction or even going into DCA (it says it’s going to be at the GCH, not the park), we would still really like to hear the presenters and see what they have to offer us!

Salvador on April 25th, 2011 at 1:02 am

I remember when I was 6 my mom took me and my sister to go see the little mermaid on opening weekend everything changed from then, thank you Disney for such a wonderful experience and bringing my favorite Disney Princess to life

John on April 25th, 2011 at 2:12 am

Well what do you know…? The Little Mermaid debuts on my 40th birthday! I hope that I do not have to spend the entirety of it in line waiting to ride on this incredible attraction :-).

laura on April 25th, 2011 at 6:00 pm

My entire life, I have dreamed, wished and hoped for a ride based on The Little Mermaid. It is one of my all-time favorite movies, and the first film I ever saw in theaters. I must conquer my fear of flying, so I can get on a long overdue trip to the happiest place on earth. Well, if I win, I’m going to do just that!

Nina on April 25th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

How do I Enter the contest, I do not see it. Please respond. Thanks

Elizabeth on April 25th, 2011 at 6:26 pm

any body know when the soft opening will be.
Hubby and I are Major TLM fans.. (Yes hes even inked with her) Would LOVE a walk though NOW that would be AWESOMESAUCE.

Renee on April 25th, 2011 at 6:58 pm

How do I enter??? I want to win, I never win anything:(

Cassandra from CA on April 25th, 2011 at 7:32 pm

This would be so cool! what a unique opportunity :)

Christine on April 25th, 2011 at 10:21 pm

My daughter is an aspiring artist and avid Ariel Admirer most of her 11 years, in fact I do believe she is part mermaid (she is a swimmer and doesn’t eat seafood). The chance to hang with imagineers to see exactly what they do would be so crazy awesome for her!!

Fred from CA on April 25th, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Nina and Renee;

The link to enter is at the end of the post, where it says; “Click here to register and learn more.”

heather on April 27th, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Really hope I get to go to the event really excited. I’m more excited for little mermaid then I am star tours. I have been promoting the contest on different boards and to my friends… Sounds like so much fun. I love going to meets… Thank you for doing this for the fans!!!!

Chris from CA on April 28th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I just went to enter for my chance to attend (within the timeframe), and it is showing that they closed the entry for this. So disappointing.

Lucinda from IL on April 28th, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Tried to enter. Closed early?

Cindy on April 28th, 2011 at 12:26 pm

YEAY I LOVE NEW RIDES!!! <3

Friend on April 28th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I want to win this!!!! yeah!!!

kat on April 28th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I love the meet-ups! I hope I get to go. The thing about the meet-ups is you get to see the hard work that looks like magic! It is so clear that the imagine”ears” love what they do and that because of that, love is evident to everyone who walks into any Disney park. What a gift. I love hearing the stories behind the stories. I am crossing my fingers…8:o)

Lorin on April 28th, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Love this meet-up idea. I’m hoping I have a shot at going. :) I also love all of the updates on the ride creation that you all have been posting — it’s been utterly fascinating to watch the evolution of an attraction.

Gustavo on April 28th, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I wish to one day be an imagineer,It would be great to hear from existing imagineers who have brought the magic of Ariel and the undersea kingdom to life.

Jonathan on April 28th, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I cant wait for the ride to open Im a huge fan of the Little Mermaid. It will be an honored to be part of this wonderfull experience.

Stefanie on April 28th, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Whoohoo!

Kimberly on April 28th, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I’m about 3,000 miles away so unless you include airfare I’m afraid I won’t be able to attend even if I win. Best of luck to the rest of you though.

AMANDA from CA on April 29th, 2011 at 3:49 am

I’m on pins and needles waiting to see if I get the chance to attend!

heather on April 29th, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I keep checking my inbox DIEING to know if I can attend this wonderful event…. awww the nerves <3 <3

Mariam on April 29th, 2011 at 2:24 pm

So excited for this ride! A classic ride with 2011 technology, amazing!

Zoe on April 29th, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I hope I am able to attend! I have been looking forward to this ride for so long.. everytime I pass it in the park I tear up!!

heather on April 29th, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Bummed I was picked but thought it was really cool you sent the sorry letters to the people that didn’t make it so we would know…. Thank you…. There’s always next time :0)

Michele Himmelberg on May 4th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Thanks to everyone who entered for the opportunity to attend the meet-up! You can submit your question to an Imagineer here in the comments. We’ll try to include a couple at the meet-up and report back to you next week.

Karen on April 29th, 2011 at 4:17 pm

#40 – Both my hubby and I are VERY DISAPPOINTED!! We just received the BAD EMAIL – our entries for the meet-up were NOT randomly chosen!! :(

We weren’t chosen for the last meet-up either, so it’s even more disappointing than if it were the first time it happened.

I don’t know what we could’ve done differently, since I signed up as soon as I saw it the first day, tried to register him, but it wouldn’t take it from my computer, so I paged him and he did his own from his computer.

The only positive thing about this is that they let us know now that we would NOT be going, so we don’t have to wonder when we’d get the GOOD email!

I sure hope D23 club has an on-ride preview or something!!

Fred from CA on April 29th, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Unfortunately I was not picked. Although I am looking forward to riding on June 3rd.

Amanda on April 29th, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Didn’t get picked. I have the WORST luck. Doesn’t matter because I’ll be there with my friend Amy on the 3rd for this AND Star Tours! BOOYAH!

Ericka from HI on April 29th, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I feel so lucky to have won….grateful for this opportunity…the only thing that would make it better would be a surprise appearance by Jodi Benson..she is my idol…and that would just make my day…that would make my LIFE!

maribel on April 29th, 2011 at 7:46 pm

will jodi benson be there on june 3rd the opening of the ride?

Salvador on May 2nd, 2011 at 3:54 pm

too bad I didn’t win maybe next time

Michele Himmelberg on May 4th, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Good luck, next time! Hope to see you at another event.

Tatiana on May 4th, 2011 at 5:17 am

I was selected to participate however I have a few questons: What is the dress code? How old does the “guest” have to be (can I take my 15 year old brother)? Can we bring cameras?
Sorry for all the questions, but none of this was addressed in the email.
Thank you for your help.
~Tatiana

Michele Himmelberg on May 4th, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Tatiana, you can dress comfortably – something you would wear to the parks would be fine. Remember, you will have reserved viewing for “World of Color” after the event, and it’s sometimes cool in the evenings. Yes, you can bring your 15-year-old brother – remember your guest must be with you when you check in. Cameras will be allowed in the early part of the evening, though you will not be able to take photos or video of the panel presentation. Thanks for asking!

Dorette on May 4th, 2011 at 2:15 pm

So when will the winners be notified?

Michele Himmelberg on May 4th, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Hi – the winners were notified on April 29. If anyone has a question they would like to ask the Imagineers, please post it here in the comments. We will try to include questions from Blog readers at the Little Mermaid meet-up, and then share what they said next week.

Fred from CA on May 5th, 2011 at 2:37 am

I’ve got some questions for the Imagineers;

What was the most challenging part of creating the attraction?

And, what was the most exciting part of the creation of the attraction?

Gabriela on May 6th, 2011 at 11:43 am

Just received my confirmation TODAY! can’t wait!
OMG ….. AND World Of Color?!?!?!
You guys are the best ever.
thanks Michele :)