Japan Pavilion at Epcot

How One Problem Turned into Millions of Wishes at Disneyland Park

posted on April 8th, 2011 by Michele Himmelberg, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

On April 9, 1961, Walt Disney dedicated the Snow White Grotto, a tranquil spot in Disneyland park you won’t want to miss. Located at the eastern end of the moat around Sleeping Beauty Castle, its quaint wishing well has launched millions of wishes into the world. Do you know the the story behind this serene locale, and how it began with a problem of proportions?

Snow White Grotto at Disneyland Park

The white, marble figurines depicting Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs arrived anonymously from Italy as a gift for Walt Disney. They were exquisite, but every statue was roughly the same height. How would Snow White, the princess, project her royal presence if she was no taller than Dopey?

Walt Disney was determined to find a way to include the figurines within Disneyland park. As the story goes, Disney designer John Hench was perplexed when Walt first gave him the figurines to display. Then he found an ingenious and elegant solution. The major elements of the scene were scaled to create the illusion of distance and height and Snow White was placed at the top of the diorama, where she stands majestically above the scene. This created a forced perspective. Viewed from the adjacent footbridge, Snow White appears perfectly proportioned in relation to her friends.

Hench did such a magical job creating the scene that three other Disney Parks have since incorporated the montage – disproportion and all – in their Castle forecourts.

The soundtrack at Snow White Grotto includes chiming bells, woodland creatures and the voice of Snow White from the original movie. In 1983, as part of the New Fantasyland opening, Adriana Castelotti recreated her performance of “I’m Wishing” from the Oscar-winning 1937 film. Snow White sings throughout the day in the Grotto and even this feature has a magical quality as listeners hear the voice of the princess float out over the waterfall, then echo back from the Wishing Well.

Throughout the years, guests have tossed pennies and small coins into the well, along with their wishes. They may not realize that making their own wish also grants a wish. For decades, the money collected in the Wishing Well has been donated to children’s charities. Inscribed on the well is the sentiment: “Your wishes will help children everywhere.”

Take a look back at the stories of some of Disneyland park’s landmarks and attractions:

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

18 Comments 1 Reply

Fred from CA on April 8th, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Yes, I’ve heard that story before, and I love it! The imagineers always found such creative solutions when adding new things to Disneyland, and they still are today!

Fred from CA on April 8th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

…still creative, that is! ;)

Laurie Lee on April 8th, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Thank you for sharing this story. Our family enjoys reading about history in the Disney parks. This area of Disneyland is very special and we always visit it each trip to the park.

Jackie on April 8th, 2011 at 7:57 pm

We never made this area a traditional area to visit while in the parks, but after reading this we will! What a great story, thank you for sharing!

Melanie on April 9th, 2011 at 7:38 am

What a cool piece of history!!

Krista on April 9th, 2011 at 11:43 am

I heard this story a long time ago but forgot. Thank you for sharing it!

Katy on April 9th, 2011 at 1:05 pm

What a coincidence, I just read about this story yesterday in the book Designing Disney by John Hench himself. It’s a really great read!

Bradley from NY on April 9th, 2011 at 1:13 pm

According to imagineer Valerie Edwards, who talked about the sculptures during the Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic tour I had taken, the story that they were donated anonymously is false and that they were in fact commissioned by Disney from a specific Italian sculptor whose name I don’t recall, but she did mention it.

She did concur that the size mix-up was an honest mistake, blaming misunderstandings when it came to converting between measuring systems.

Michele Himmelberg on April 14th, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Hi Bradley, we’ll have more about this story from a Disney expert in the coming weeks. Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

Evie on April 9th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I don’t recall ever seeing or hearing this around the Castle!! I will have to make a specific stop there! Thanks for the information :D

Anabel on April 9th, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I went on Thursday But I didn’t have the chance to pass through there… Next time go I will go there!! I had a blast on Thursday!!

Mireya on April 9th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Love the history behind this! My fiance proposed to me in front of the falls, which makes this a special place in my heart.

Mando on April 9th, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Creative! My 2 year old daughters favorite princess and a MUST stop on every visit.

Tim on April 9th, 2011 at 4:05 pm

So many people have told me that they had no idea that this was “there” after all of their visits to Disneyland. My two year old daughter makes this a required stop every week that we go. She can barely speak, yet she can sing the “Wishing” song! This is also a favorite picture spot of ours, as well as the path leading up to it, because it is one of the few locations in Disneyland where you won’t get anyone else in the background…if your timing is right.

Jason on April 9th, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I never knew that, thanks for sharing this story! I proposed to my wife there at that very spot, so it is a very special place now for me and her and our families.

Chris & Lydia on April 9th, 2011 at 8:16 pm

It is ingenius. Never thought of that.Brilliant story. We are great fans of Snow White and our little one just started her collection with her belove Snow White Cottage Playset and so far it is her most favorite toy and the princess.. We are happy that she loves Snow White just as we do.

Lindsay on April 10th, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Bradley – that is the same information I received when I visited Imagineering in February 2011. I have also read more recent books put out by Disney that at least admitted they knew the name of the Italian sculptor – contradicting the “anonymous” portion of John Hench’s tale. For the record, I found at least one other story in his Designing Disney that was not corroborated by Imagineering & Disney’s Paint Shop.

Denise from MI on April 10th, 2011 at 11:12 pm

The story that I was told at WDI was that although the art studio was known, they do not know who the actual sculptors were and that they were students. They also said that they thought the reason behind the proportion issue was that the models used for the statues was actually based on a set of carved soaps.

Johnny on April 11th, 2011 at 4:40 am

This is literally my favorite place in the park. It may also be the most romantic. I can’t wait to take a girl here someday!