New York World's Fair 50th Anniversary

Delightful, Delicious Narcoossee’s at Walt Disney World

posted on May 19th, 2011 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

Narcoossee’s at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa is one of those tucked-away restaurants on the shores of the Seven Seas Lagoon that we don’t always think of first – but what a treat. The place has plenty of loyal fans and was so busy on a recent evening that we grabbed seats at the bar, ordered a glass of red wine and settled in with Sergio the bartender taking care of us.

“Narcoossee,” by the way, is a Native American word that means “little bear.” (Just thought you might want to know.) When the beautiful resort was designed, the name seemed fitting for its historical architecture. The casual restaurant is octagon-shaped with plenty of windows for viewing the Magic Kingdom Park fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant.

Chef Joe Wilson is one of those bright, engaging chefs who gets excited talking about cheese and wine and the best Florida fish available. And he also makes the best béarnaise sauce we’ve ever tasted – a dollop atop a buttery filet mignon. “I’m having fun every day,” says Chef Wilson with a broad smile.

It’s really the delicious fish that is the restaurant’s claim to fame – a whole Maine lobster; hefty crab cakes; sautéed Prince Edward Island mussels in a light, creamy pastis-scented broth; shrimp and crab chowder with homemade oyster crackers. His crispy whole snapper is a work of art.

Narcoossee’s Maine Lobster

Narcoossee's Crab Cakes

Narcoossee’s Snapper

And vegetarians will be right at home with his beautiful roasted beet salad with goat cheese and orange-honey vinaigrette. And you can make a meal of the cheeses, from an Australian blue to Gruyère from Wisconsin. The cheeses change with the seasons but you’ll never be disappointed, each served with delicate honeys, apricots and preserves, and homemade slices of crisp buttery bread.

Narcoossee’s Beet Salad

And we’d be remiss not to miss the almond cheesecake from Master Pastry Chef Erich Herbitschek’s bakery. Take it home if you have to, it’s worth the calories.

Narcoossee’s Almond Cheesecake

Be duly warned, the little restaurant books up fast. If you’re considering dinner at Narcoossee’s, book ahead at 407-WDW-DINE. Have you tried Narcoossee’s? What’s your favorite dish on the menu?

Filed: Disney Dining, Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Kristin on May 19th, 2011 at 9:21 am

We ate here for the first time 3 days after our Disney wedding… this was the best meal my husband and I have ever had, hands-down!

Sharon on May 19th, 2011 at 9:34 am

My husband and I shared one (yes, ONE!) Surf and Turf meal at Narcossee’s on our honeymoon. It was preceded by a cheese platter as an appetizer, and followed by chocolate lava cake with blood orange sauce for dessert. I went to the MOON over how delicious everything was! The lobster, spring green beans, scalloped potatoes, and fillet mignon were divine!

Aydin from ON on May 19th, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’m sorry to say that my wife and I were a tad disappointed by our dinner here. The service and ambiance were wonderful – including the water parade and fireworks.
Here’s my issue: it’s not a whole lobster. Though the menu, and most reviews and guidebooks claim differently, any lobster fan will tell you that a lobster is more than just the tail and two claws. I understand that presenting it this way makes for a more “classy”, less messy meal, but if you’re not going to serve a whole lobster, don’t call it that.
Not that it was bad – it just wasn’t as advertised.
It’s like going to Flame Tree Barbeque, ordering a “half rotisserie chicken”, and being given a boneless chicken breast, a thigh and a drumstick.
I’m picky, I know.

kim on May 20th, 2011 at 3:21 am

I booked this for our last night so i could see the fireworks and the water pageant as well as having a first class meal. In fact i mentioned this was the reason i booked in the first place, i managed to see the Pageant, but had my back to the fireworks when my meal arrived! so next time i will emphasise that i do wish to see the fireworks! so they can time it better… meal superb of course

Shannon on May 20th, 2011 at 1:57 pm

My husband and I ate a Narcoossee’s in 2006 when we were then boyfriend and girlfriend. Being the steak snobs we are, we ordered the filet, which was only ok for the price I thought, but the atmosphere was wonderful. After dinner we walked over to the shore by the restaurant to see the castle, and the next thing I knew, my man was down on his knee proposing! I don’t think we’ll ever eat there again, but it has a nice place in our memories.

Erin from IN on May 29th, 2011 at 10:13 am

My husband and I enjoyed an evening at Narcoossee’s as a romantic dinner – it was delicious!! The potatoes were so yummy and the cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts of all time! My husband loved the chocolate cake also. Each plate is it’s own work of art. We met up with my mom and sons afterwards and enjoyed the electric water parade and fireworks – What great memories!