Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays from the Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort

Enchanted Tiki Room: Classic Attraction Transforms This Summer

posted on May 15th, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Walt Disney Imagineering announced earlier today at D23′s Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th event that The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management) at Magic Kingdom Park is already undergoing changes behind closed doors that will reshape the attraction into a version reminiscent of the original show.

Enchanted Tiki Room: Classic Attraction Transforms This Summer

The Walt Disney World attraction, originally called Tropical Serenade, has been entertaining guests since the theme park’s opening day on Oct. 1, 1971. Its winged hosts, Jose, Fritz, Pierre and Michael, led 200 other birds, tikis and flowers in an entertaining musical Polynesian revue. Tropical Serenade was reshaped into The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management) in 1998, with the addition of Iago (from “Aladdin”) and Zazu (from “The Lion King”).

The attraction was based on Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room, which opened at Disneyland park in 1963. Its debut marked a huge milestone in Disney history, becoming the first attraction to ever feature Audio-Animatronics figures – a breakthrough that took 10 years to develop.

The latest version of the attraction, which will be called Enchanted Tiki Room, will debut at Magic Kingdom Park later this summer. Be sure to check the Disney Parks Blog for future updates on the attraction’s progress.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

1 2 3

Geoffrey from NV on May 15th, 2011 at 11:20 am

hmmmmm “reminiscent of the original show”….. so, original show or a slightly different version…..

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 16th, 2011 at 10:38 am

A slightly different version than the original.

Denny from FL on May 15th, 2011 at 11:32 am

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Lyndie from UT on May 15th, 2011 at 11:33 am

Really?! Are Iago and Zazu taking on a smaller part? I certainly hope so!

Dallas on May 15th, 2011 at 11:34 am

This is great! I can’t wait to finally see (a version of) the original show.

Joshua on May 15th, 2011 at 11:35 am

So glad to hear this! A lot of fans have been hoping for this change for a while now. Can’t wait to see the new version!

Brandon from FL on May 15th, 2011 at 11:36 am

YES YES YES YES! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Alex from CA on May 15th, 2011 at 11:39 am

That makes me so happy!! I used to be a Cast Member at Disneyland and one of my attractions was the Tiki Room. It was a wonderful experience to be Jose’s “waker-upper!” I was always kind of sad that Disney felt the need to change the Tiki Room at Disneyworld, as were all of my other CM friends. We love the original, nothing can top it!

Diana from NY on May 15th, 2011 at 11:42 am

This is fantastic news! I’ve seen the rumors, and I’m so glad this is confirmed. I’m hoping the re-vamped Tiki room is open by my first day in the parks this summer, August 20th. Sorry Iago became a little “overcooked,” but it worked out for the best :)

Now, here’s hoping we can see a classic twist returned to Journey Into Imagination!

Abby on May 15th, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hip-Hip-Hooray!

Varsenik on May 15th, 2011 at 11:42 am

This is such awesome news, especially for the 40th anniversary. I really did not like the “Under New Management” version!

s on May 15th, 2011 at 11:45 am

As someone who is resistant to change and a big fan of Disney Nostalgia due to numerous trips in my childhood, I am both sad and excited to hear this news. Last March I had the pleasure of taking my two young children to see the Enchanted Tiki Room and sharing that with them. I am so glad we got to ride Haunted Mansion and see some of the oldies but goodies before the update. I now look forward to visiting again in 2012, and seeing everything thats new to explore.

Maria on May 15th, 2011 at 11:46 am

As a child, Enchanted Tiki Room was one of my favorite attractions. I’m happy to hear they’re restoring the show (hopefully without Iago’s grating criticisms?)

Nicholas from NC on May 15th, 2011 at 11:54 am

So many of the classics have gone or are going away, it’s a pleasant surprise to hear about the return of a classic.
While we have always enjoyed the “Under New Management” version, we are thrilled to hear the original is returning.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 16th, 2011 at 10:39 am

Great!

Richard on May 15th, 2011 at 12:00 pm

The magic of Disney lives in the quiet places. Anyone, given enough money and the right engineers, can build a rollercoaster, and they ARE fun. However, Disney’s magic is a feeling you get that time and space have stopped and that you could live in that moment forever. Thank you, DIsney, for taking the time and money to renovate the Enchanted Tiki Room. It’s not, and will never be, a headliner, and that’s ok. It is a calm and sweet place where you can look over at your little boy watching in rapt attention, and as he returns your smile, you are a little unsure if it is him or your own childhood face looking back at you.

Selene on May 15th, 2011 at 12:00 pm

This is longer overdue! and extremely exciting. Just at the parks and lamenting the fact that since the fire, according to castmembers they didn’t think it was coming back. Will be back in early fall, and it will be the first thing we visit!

Bret on May 15th, 2011 at 12:00 pm

What took so long?

Ashley on May 15th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Sounds Awesome! I’m all for the tweaks that Disney performs on its attractions, especially ones that introduce other Disney characters (like the subtle changes to Small World) but there is something to be said for the originals.
Now, can something be done to Journey into Imagination?? I think it’s time to bring back Dreamfinder and restore Figment to his former glory! Who is with me? :)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 16th, 2011 at 10:41 am

Look for Figment to make an appearance on the Disney Parks Blog later this week! (Although it’s NOT an attraction-related announcement).

Dan on May 15th, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I’m so glad you guys decided to listen to the “fans” on this one!!!!! :):):)

Peter on May 15th, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Yes! This makes Adventureland THAT much better at MK! Glad the classic is coming back.

Dale from MD on May 15th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

This is great news! I’m so happy with all the love the classic e-tix have been getting in the Magic Kingdom. This will be a must-see for our October Food & Wine visit.

Now, can we get SpectroMagic back??

Kevin on May 15th, 2011 at 12:10 pm

YAY! I’m thrilled to hear this news.

Evan on May 15th, 2011 at 12:10 pm

THRILLED to hear this. Hoping for a early June opening, but I guess that’s not “later in the summer”?

Very happy to see this original bringing quality back to the kingdom!

Jennifer from CT on May 15th, 2011 at 12:19 pm

This is awesome!!!!! I am so glad you have decided to go back to the original version of the show. We will be visiting in September so I hope this is open when we go. It will be so nice to see the attraction back to its original form.. Thank you Walt Disney World!

Amy on May 15th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Hurray! The original show was so much better than the one with Zazu and Iago, not slighting their talent, of course. The original had a wonderful Hawaiian/Pacific theme that was very entertaining and took audiences to a new place. I felt the addition of Zazu and Iago took away from this a little bit. Not to mention that Gilbert Gottfried’s voice is like nails down a chalkboard. I missed the original lady birds coming down from the chandelier, which was a grand spectacle, reminiscent of the old Busby Berkeley musicals.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 16th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

What I remember most about the attraction – and this will bore most of you – is the windows inside the attraction and the “rainstorm” they showed outside. It always made me feel like I really was in a tropical hut.

Lisa on May 15th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I have to admit, I am happy to hear that changes are being made to the Enchanted Tiki Room. I didn’t think the change that brought in Iago and Zazu was a good one. I’m looking forward to seeing the new change that will make it more like the original one that is still at Disneyland. Thank you for making this post!

JEANY on May 15th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I’m so excited that the enchanted Tiki Birds are coming back and I can’t wait to see it in Dec 2011!

Tom on May 15th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Fantastic, though I’m curious what the statement “reminiscent of the original show” might mean. Regardless, it can only be a step in the right direction – thank you, from a fan of the original!!

Cindi from MN on May 15th, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Will Iago and Zazu still be a part of the show, or just the original birds!?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 16th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I have no details on this. Keep checking back!

Timothy on May 15th, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Excellent news!

Carrie on May 15th, 2011 at 12:30 pm

It’s about time!!!! Under New Management stunk!!! My kids cried when they saw it the first and only time and my four year old asked why they ruined the Tiki Room!?!?!?!

Brandy from MI on May 15th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I loved the original Tiki Room. It was one of my favorite things as a child, and as an adult I truly miss it. It was my grandma’s favorite attraction, and I love listening to the original music and thinking of her. I’m glad to hear they are revamping it to be more like the original. The adding of the Tiki Goddess, Iago, and Zazu just irritated me. The attraction went from relaxing and whimsical to down right annoying.

Brian on May 15th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I am soooo happy. The original show was slightly longer and much better. I love my Disney Characters but the Iago character never was quite right for the show. He didn’t look right. I will be returning in Sept. and cannot wait to see what magic and a little technology have done to the Tiki room!

Matthew from OH on May 15th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Can’t say I’m sad to see the current version retire. I’m excited to see what’s coming next though. The Disneyland original is still a classic, and maybe this will be more in line with it.

Debra on May 15th, 2011 at 12:54 pm

This was always a favorite of mine as a kid as the original Tropical Serenade. But I was disappointed when I seen the latest version including Iago and Zazu. It just didn’t seem as elaborate. So I look forward to seeing the new version that is reminiscent of the original show. We will be at WDW Sept 10-18 for the our annual trip with our 4 yr old grand-daughter. Thanks!

Ken on May 15th, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I hope they include the ENTIRE Tiki Room song. Other than that it’s all good fun… but it’s just plain cruel to give us only a small bit of the song as it has been under new management.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 16th, 2011 at 10:43 am

Did you know that song was written by the legendary Sherman Brothers? They also composed “it’s a small world (after all)” and songs for several of our other attractions.

Chris on May 15th, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Ole, ole! It’s showtime! I’m so happy to see Jose and the gang take back the Tiki Room.

Jesus from - on May 15th, 2011 at 1:15 pm

What a surprising move!! Please do tell us more!! Like, for instance, will Iago and Zazu be cut out completely??

Tim from OR on May 15th, 2011 at 1:17 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!

“Under new Management” was AWFUL…

I hope it will be very, very close to it’s older cousin – I *love* that show!

Tim.

ryan from FL on May 15th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I’m torn…
I’m happy to see the return of the original Tropical Serenade!
But I’m also gonna miss the back and forth Iago and Zazu had too.
I always thought those two had some funny dialogue along side the birds of the enchanted tiki room, they’ll be missed.
Perhaps they can find a new home in the queue?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 16th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

That would be clever!

Michael from VA on May 15th, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Woo-hoo!! This is fantastic news! Walt would be proud. Now if only Stitch’s Great Escape could undergo similar “renovations.”

Samantha from IN on May 15th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Is it closed now? Ill be there in two weeks, I’m guessing it won’t be open then?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 16th, 2011 at 10:43 am

Unfortunately, not until late summer.

Joseph from IL on May 15th, 2011 at 1:44 pm

That’s wonderful news! I loved the original show, but didn’t care for all the shouting in the “Under New Management” version. But I did like the goddess character in the new show, so perhaps that will be retained. But if the new show has the original song in its entirety, I’ll be happy!

Scott on May 15th, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Awesome. Just plain awesome. The “Under New Management” version was horrible. I’m very excited to see what happens with the new version. Hopefully it will be exactly, or almost exactly, like the original.

Mike on May 15th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Best news EVER!!! I hope for the full original song. Back to that tropical feel, I cannot wait! The tiki room doesn’t need pop songs. We’ll be going in September and again in Feb. Yayyyyyyy!!! =)

Michelle on May 15th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Yay! I am so excited! We are going back in September and cannot wait to visit the Tiki Room again. I am afraid that we have avoided it for a long time now. I truly hope it is like the original so that I can share it with my kids. Thank you, Disney!

Jeanette on May 15th, 2011 at 2:39 pm

That’s great news! I never liked the new one. I hope they sing the whole song like they used to.

Dan from TN on May 15th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Wonderful news!!! Can’t wait to show my kids the ORIGINAL! They will love it, I know it!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 16th, 2011 at 5:53 pm

You’ll have to tell them that when the attraction was originally created, the bird Audio-Animatronics were considered to be GROUNDBREAKING theme park technology. No one else had ever done anything like this before.

Tsz Leung from ON on May 15th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

This is excitng new!!! Will they be new version comes with new merchandises ?? I love collecting Echanted Tiki Room stuffs, I hope they will have something cool so I can add to my collection.

Jason from DE on May 15th, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I was just in Disney and heard about the fire. I am glad to hear that they are going to changing it back. I never like the new show. Can’t wait to see it in December!

Ryan on May 15th, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Good news. I hope to see some improvements and I hope any new music complements the original tunes. It could be a tough job ahead but rewarding if everything fits.

1 2 3