Sunset Over the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Star Tours Meet-Up at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on May 5th, 2011 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

UPDATE - Wow, we’re thrilled with the great response for our Star Tours meet-up at Walt Disney World. Sign up for the event is now closed. All participants have been or soon will be notified. Thank you for your interest and stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for word of additional meet-ups in the future.

Attention Star Tours and Walt Disney Imagineering fans – just after Disney’s Hollywood Studios closes to the public on May 19, parts of the park will re-open for a special meet-up to celebrate the galactic debut of the new 3-D attraction.

Star Tours Attraction

Those in attendance will be among a group at our panel discussion with Walt Disney Imagineers. They’ll offer an insider’s look at Star Tours – The Adventures Continue and share some behind-the-scenes details about the experience. Fans will also have a chance to ask questions about the making-of the attraction and what it’s like to work on this project. There will also be a few surprises you won’t want to miss.

The event begins at 12:01 a.m. on May 20 and runs until 2 a.m. Attendance is limited so sign up early.

To attend, RSVP to meetups@disney.go.com and follow these directions carefully:

• All guests who RSVP for the event must be 18 years or older, but your guest does not need to be 18. You can only bring one guest.
  • Valid RSVPs must include 1) “Star Tours Meet-Up RSVP” in the subject line and 2) your name in the body of the email. All RSVPs will be for the person who responds plus one guest.
  • Valid photo I.D. will be required at check-in.

We will send an e-mail to those who send their valid RSVP before we reach capacity to confirm their attendance for the May 20 event. Depending on your e-mail settings, you may not receive the confirmation e-mail, so we recommend that you also check the list of attendees on the Disney Parks Blog. We will give an update at the top of this post that will include a link to the list of names of all confirmed attendees. If you do not receive an e-mail from us confirming your reservation and your name does not appear on the list of attendees, your RSVP was not accepted.

Please note the event is subject to change or cancellation.

Let us know if the “Obi-Wanna-Be” inside of you wants to attend our first meet-up at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

christie on May 5th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Hey, Thomas — The list is not working when you click on that link. Any chance of fixing that?

Thomas Smith on May 5th, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Sorry about that. Check it now, it’s working.

Christopher on May 5th, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Staying at Port Orleans Riverside & using Disney transportation. Will there be a way to get to the event & back to the resort afterwards? Disney bus or cab?

Jeremiah from CA on May 5th, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Anyone else not getting anything from the list link?

Kara from WI on May 5th, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Finally got the link to work. I didn’t make it. :-(

ryan from FL on May 5th, 2011 at 3:14 pm

List is up, and sadly I’m not on it.:( That would have been an awesome way to end my birthday celebration, oh well. Everyone that did make it I hope you have an awesome time and May the Force Be With You!

A.J. from OH on May 5th, 2011 at 3:21 pm

251 names listed plus their guests; 502 people, and I’m not one of them. Would be interested to know exactly what time this was posted and exactly what time the cut-off was reached. Oh well, I’ll still be there 20th and 21st.

Michael on May 5th, 2011 at 3:22 pm

2 people with the same last name as me got in.. However just not me. Shucks. Maybe next time.

Jill from FL on May 5th, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Woot!! Got in :) Can not wait for this meetup!

Peter on May 5th, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Hey, just wondering, how come so far only one meet-up has awarded its spots via random drawing? It seems these meet-ups always go quickly and it would be nice if there was a several hour window that you could enter in order to have a chance at going.

maria from FL on May 5th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Sorry if this comes along as sour grapes but I think there is room to congratulate the winners (congratulations to all that were accepted) – while also making a comparison to DisneyLand’s handling of the Star Tours preview. My husband and I are Annual Passholders for WDW.
He has been searching for any mention of an Annual Passholders event for a Star Tours “preview” ever since finding out that there was a drawing from DisneyLand passholders for their event.
So far there have been none for WDW. We came across the announcement here and sent in an email as quickly as possible (sent exactly at noon) and my husband commented that this seems rather random and shows very little consistency with how Disney handled the preview out West.
He suggested that he was not thrilled with this wether we are selected or not (we were not).
It’s sometimes challenging to climb completely onboard when Disney makes decisions that randomly diminish the value of being an annual passholder.
While we can appreciate the marketing value presented to the many non-passholders that show their loyalty through the Disney Blog experience – this was not consistent with an expectation that Disney set once they did for the DisneyWolrd passholders that they apparently may not for those of us with WDW.

Jason on May 5th, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Will there be a similar event for us here in California?

Chad on May 5th, 2011 at 3:53 pm

2 lucky peeps got 2X 2 tickets…

Lee on May 5th, 2011 at 3:54 pm

It’s on occasions like this I get even more jealous that I’m over in the UK and not in Florida!

Mary Malinda from AR on May 5th, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Didn’t make the list. It will still be a great opportunity for those that got in. Maybe there will be a waiting list:) and they will find room for my daughter and me. Enjoy being young at heart!

Eric from MA on May 5th, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I didn’t make the list. Any kind souls have an extra +1? Eats will be on me!

Scott on May 5th, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I am wondering why D23 isn’t doing anything with Star Tours as well. Hrm.

Jared on May 5th, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I wanted in sooo bad :( Annual passholder that just missed out too I guess. If anyone has a free spot for a guest and wants a new friend for life/food/presents/star wars stuff/whatever, send an e-mail.

Jacelyn on May 5th, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Any chance there will be another opportunity for something like this again for that weekend? It’s our first trip to Walt Disney World, and we are coming just for SWW. I saw this just a bit too late. If anyone can’t make it, or if there are two extra slots, please let me know :))

maria from FL on May 5th, 2011 at 4:49 pm

To Scott; we here are also wondering if there would be a D23 special preview.
(we are not members of D23)
So far neither D23 nor Annual Passholders have been rewarded with a preview.

My husband and I are still showing up (in full Jedi gear) for opening day.
I will do what I must in order to dissuade him from making a Jedi flip over the outer walls at D-Hollywood in an attempt to get into the preview que (once in his Jedi outfit, he forgets what planet he’s from). It’s also likely that I will have to deal with the look on the Cast Members face as my husband waves his hand and says “these are the two that should come in for the special preview tonight”.
Me love Disney
He love Star Wars
So you can figure that Star Tours opening is on our calendar.

James on May 5th, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I second that, it would be great if they did that for the whole weekend. I would love to be a part of this. I was hoping they did something with D23 as well, sort of like Final Flight.

Hopefully they will do it every night for the first week :)

J on May 5th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

So, since I was in school, I missed it. :/

Can there be an added preview date for Premier/reg Passholders on the like, 18 or 19? :/ ugh

Lindsay on May 5th, 2011 at 8:16 pm

My sister and I are confirmed! We are soooooooo excited!! I’m a passholder and was also bummed there weren’t going to be any previews. I am eternally grateful for this wonderful opportunity!

Jose on May 5th, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Quite thrilled to be going to this event! See you all there.

Jose
Kryptonlogic

David on May 5th, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I was also wondering why there is no preview for annual passholders?

Kyle on May 5th, 2011 at 10:55 pm

=( =( =(
No E-mail. Any hope of a waiting list? We are huge SW fans, this is such a bummer.

Mandy on May 5th, 2011 at 11:28 pm

My husband would’ve loved to gotten to go to this. I didn’t hear about this til a little bit ago and the signups are all gone:(

DANIELLE from Staffordshire on May 6th, 2011 at 2:25 am

Congratulations everyone who got on the list. Both me and my mum had been waiting for this since 9am in the morning over in the UK, It was 4 in the afternoon when the blog was updated over here, which made it 11am in FLorida.

I am very happy to say both me and my mum got on the list so we can take our guests.
I am extremely excited about this, I am a massive Star Wars fan and been to the star wars weekend a few times now. Obviously as im from England, UK I don’t get the opportunity to always get to Disney in May. I’m a Disney Vacation Club and annual passholder but I’d like to say that I think this event was a suprise for all but allows those who do not have annual passes to jump on in there. Hopefully for all you who have passes u will see something like wats happening in California. Fingers crossed for u.

But for now…Wahooooo I’m extremely excited I get there on the eve of the 18th so this is definitely going to beat the Jet Lag. Anyone else on the list from ENGLAND like me?? Peace out!

DANIELLE from Staffordshire on May 6th, 2011 at 2:27 am

Thank god for @disneyparks on twitter….it made me aware of this opportunity at midnight UK time and 24hours later I’m celebrating! Yeay x x

Jennifer on May 6th, 2011 at 11:35 am

Thomas, I am still trying to figure out how to get to the meet-up from a resort hotel. I saw where you told someone else to email you if the received an RSVP…I have received one, but do not see where to email you. Thanks in advance :)

Thomas Smith on May 16th, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Hi Jennifer, please send it to me at Thomas.Smith@Disney.com

Joseph on May 6th, 2011 at 11:58 am

I have seen previews of this year’s Star Wars Weekends merchandise,but no pins/framed pin set. Will there be one?

Tiffany on May 6th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Ugh I didn’t see this blog post! :( Is there a wait list I can get on if for some reason everyone doesn’t RSVP? My birthday is May 19th! For reals!:)

Claudia on May 7th, 2011 at 8:40 am

I made the list!!!
Thank you Disney for allowing me this opportunity.
I would like to know if the attendees will be able to stay at the park for the 20th (after the meet up event)?
I really hope we can stay in the park.
Thanks again for this awesome opportunity.

Thomas Smith on May 16th, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Hi Claudia, the meet-up ends at 2 a.m. and guests will be transported back to parking at Blizzard Beach.

Matthew on May 8th, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Danielle, I am from England and also going to the Event as well!!! So SO excited about it!!! Bring on the 19th! It will be a true highlight of the holiday :). The force is definately strong with this one :P

Christopher on May 9th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Oh! I wish I would have been able to go! I just found out about this today :( oh well, Anybody wanna take me along as there guest? :) lol

Kent on May 9th, 2011 at 3:53 pm

i think we are late to register. please let us know if we can get in by cacellation of someone else. owen and ethan

Mario from CA on May 9th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Darn, just found out im going that week as a graduations present. If i knew i would have signed up!

Catherine from CA on May 11th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I received an email from Creative Zing but my name is not on the list.

Victoria from GA on May 11th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

My name is not on this list but I got the email that stated I won. So did I really get in??? Also is there any way to bring my 3 kids? I have 3 boys that are fighting over who should go with me, as a mom I would love to just let them go in my place, but I don’t think a 8,10, and 15 year old would be allowed to enter with out me. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Victoria from GA on May 11th, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Ok I have been reading some comments and they are all for Disney World, my emails said that I got in at Disneyland… so maybe I am looking at the wrong list??? Where can I find the list for the Star Tours held at DisneyLand??

Thomas Smith on May 16th, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Hi Victoria, Erin has information for the Disneyland Star Tours event:

Regina on May 16th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Does anyone have an plus one they’re not going to use? Thanks!!!

William on May 17th, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Bummer, I was really looking forward to this and thought I’d applied in time.