Radiator Springs Racers at Disneyland Resort

Today in Disney History: Casey’s Corner Steps to the Plate

posted on May 27th, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

“Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!”

Okay, maybe I’ve watched too much “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse” with my son lately, but that tune instantly popped into my mind when I started writing about what is easily one of our guests’ favorite quick-service eateries on all of Walt Disney World property – Casey’s Corner.

Casey’s Corner at Magic Kingdom Park

This baseball-themed hotdog shop opened at Magic Kingdom Park on May 27, 1995. Its name is a nod to the famous baseball poem, “Casey at the Bat,” which was penned by Ernest Thayer in 1888 (a tiny reference to this date was incorporated into the shop’s signage, as seen in the photo above).

Casey’s Corner currently sells traditional hot dogs, as well as a selection of “designer dogs” – chili dogs, Chicago-style dogs, and BBQ pork slaw dogs. Other menu items include corn dog nuggets, and ballpark nachos with chili and cheese.

The restaurant offers a small in-door seating area where guests can down a dog on bleacher seats, while watching baseball-themed Disney short films.

Casey’s Corner at Magic Kingdom Park

It also offers outdoor seating that lets families dine while enjoying the sights and sounds of the Magic Kingdom Park, including ragtime music from a live pianist, as well as views of passing parades and nighttime fireworks.

Is Casey’s Corner a home run for you?

Filed: Disney Dining, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Courtney on May 27th, 2011 at 9:38 am

Casey’s corn dog nuggets ROCK!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 27th, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I’ll have to check out these corn dog nuggets. They’re all people are talking about on Twitter today because of the anniversary (@WaltDisneyWorld).

Kim from FL on May 27th, 2011 at 9:42 am

A hot dog and Jim at the piano – is there a better way to spend the afternoon?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 27th, 2011 at 10:45 am

Add ketchup and I’M THERE!!

Mary Kathryn on May 27th, 2011 at 9:55 am

Love Casey’s Corner! The piano player… the cartoons and of course the baseball theme. The kids always love the dogs. We always visit Casey’s!

Corbett on May 27th, 2011 at 10:07 am

Absolutely. Great dogs and atmosphere, but the service is what sets Casey’s apart.

You see, my daughter has celiac disease (allergic to wheat gluten). When we mentioned this at the counter, the cast member immediately got her manager who came out from behind the counter, asked my daughter what she wanted and then promptly made it himself (with a gluten free bun). He did this so that we would feel comfortable about any cross contamination.

We immediately fell in love with Casey’s Corner and go every time we are back in the World.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 27th, 2011 at 10:49 am

Did you know that ALL Disney chefs are prepped with information on how to create dishes for guests with food allergies – wheat, gluten, dairy – pretty much anything! Feel free to ask ANYWHERE you go at Disney for a gluten-free dish for your daughter. Our chefs actually really like these requests because they get to flex their culinary muscles and prepare something new that tastes great and is healthy.

Jennifer on May 27th, 2011 at 10:15 am

Casey’s Corner is so cute. Any plans to offer “veggie dogs” or something for vegetarians along with the new “designer dogs”?

Elizabeth from FL on May 27th, 2011 at 10:17 am

Had the BBQ pork slaw dog last time I was there…YUMMMMY! You may want to split it though…or be REALLY hungry…it’s HUGE!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 27th, 2011 at 10:50 am

I agree. They are HUGE! I did a double take the first time a I saw a guest enjoying one.

Dale from MD on May 27th, 2011 at 10:56 am

Jennifer – We recently travelled with a family member who had a tomato allergy. She was so impressed with the attention that the servers and culinary cast paid to her needs. She had never experienced that level of service anywhere before. THANKS DISNEY!! :-)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 27th, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Yep! Disney Chefs are great with preparing dishes for anyone with a food allergy. It gives them the chance to step out of the kitchen and interact with guests one-on-one, too!

Jeff from GA on May 27th, 2011 at 11:11 am

Your article made me curious. What was there before Casey’s Corner opened in 1995?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 27th, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Refreshment Corner was there from opening day until it became Casey’s. It previously had the same red and white look, and outdoor seating with umbrellas. The tie to the “Casey at the Bat” poem is very fitting for Main Street, U.S.A., however, since the poem was first printed in 1888 – which is smack in the middle of the time period the area is supposed to represent!

Emily on May 27th, 2011 at 11:29 am

Casey’s is my husband and my absolute favorite place to eat while at Walt Disney World. On our honeymoon, we stopped there 4 times. We can’t get enough of the corn dog nuggets!

Tony from PA on May 27th, 2011 at 11:43 am

This is my favorite place to eat. I can not go past here with out getting a hotdog. I prefer to eat inside watch the great cartoon shorts on the big screen.

It would be awesome if there were more TV’s inside and out.

I also love to check out all the items hanging on the wall here too.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 27th, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Me too, especially the Pittsburgh Pirates mug which hangs on the far left side of the shop – if that gives any hint to my original hometown.

John on May 27th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I second Jeff’s question. I’d love to know a history of all of Main Street at MK in honor of the 40th.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 27th, 2011 at 1:19 pm

John – Keep checking back. We have a new author set to debut in a few weeks and his first post is on a cool Disney film connection to one of our Main Street, U.S.A. shops. Any guesses?

Barbara on May 27th, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I have to say, the hotdogs were the best I have ever had… That could have been because I was at Disney World and that’s the best place in the world to eat anything. Just having the pleasure of being at Disney World made every bite taste wonderful.

Stephen on May 27th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

A Disney film connection to a Main Street Shop? Must be Summer Magic! One of my favorite bits of Disney trivia!

Mark on May 27th, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I love the corn dog nuggets, but it would also be nice to have the full size corn dogs like at Disneyland. Please add regular corn dogs to Casey’s Corner Menu or a separate cart.

Greg on May 27th, 2011 at 9:43 pm

By the way, there is a neat little “joke” in one of the photos on the wall in Casey’s….

On of the photos is of the “1915 Tournament Champions”, and each team member has a mustache.

If you look closely, one of the team members is a female, with an obvious fake mustache.

(Jennifer, might you know the history of this?)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 31st, 2011 at 9:47 am

I can look into it. It will give me a reason to run over there (during lunch perhaps?).

Wendy on May 27th, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Never miss going there when we are in MK. Love to take a break, have lunch and sit on bleachers and watch the hold sports cartoons.

Marissa on May 27th, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I worked at Casey’s in 2000! It was part of a fun summer internship.

Dawna on May 28th, 2011 at 10:10 am

My son and I just love Casey’s… not sure if it share it’s name with my favorite sister, or just because it has great food!!!! Either way, we love the corn dog nuggets, and the ambiance of just being in the middle of Magic Kingdom!!!!

Sarah on May 28th, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I used to spend a lot of time at WDW, and a lot of time on Main Street. Every evening before the Main Street Electrical parade The Barber Shop quartet would come out to do a song and little show. I knew there routine very well after a few weeks and one day I was lip singing along and they noticed – next thing I knew I was up there too – doing the Casey portion “1,2,3 strikes you’re out…”

My girl’s don’t know about Casey’s yet, but every time we go, we sing “Walking Right Down the Middle of Main Street U.S.A.” As we walk down the middle, passed Casey’s and into the rest of the park. It might not have rides, but for me the magic of Disney is concentrated on that short street.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on May 31st, 2011 at 9:46 am

Very cute!

Manuel on May 28th, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I would like to state that the name’s change from “Refreshment Corner” to “Casey’s Corner” was after the succes of the ORIGINAL Casey’s Corner in Disneyland Paris who opened since day 1 (April the 12th 1992).

Karilin on June 4th, 2011 at 12:21 am

Casey’s Corner used to be one of the many Disney traditions for me. Going to the Magic Kingdom and enjoying one of their delicious hot dogs and fries while watching that old Mickey flick at the back of the shop, or while sitting outside and watching the parade go by… Ah, memories… I’m a vegetarian now, and really missed carrying out my tradition on my last trip three weeks ago. Wonder if they’ll ever consider adding a tofu dog option…