Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

Star Tours Opening Ceremony at Disneyland Park

posted on June 3rd, 2011 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

Star Tours Opening Ceremony at Disneyland Park

This morning we celebrated the opening of Star Tours at Disneyland park with the help of some very special guests.

Star Tours Opening Ceremony at Disneyland Park

Wielding a lightsaber, Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs cut the ribbon to officially open the new 3-D attraction for park guests.

Star Tours Opening Ceremony at Disneyland Park

There were even more faces that Star Tours fans would recognize, as passengers gathered from across the galaxy to board one of the more than 50 possible trips aboard the attraction, including the icy planet of Hoth, the jungles of Kashyyyk and the watery world of Naboo.

Star Tours is now open for boarding! Where are you hoping your travels will take you?

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Fred from CA on June 3rd, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I watched the webcast, it was a very cool ceremony.

I’m so glad that both Star Tours and the Little Mermaid ride are now officially open!

Kathrine from CA on June 3rd, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I was one of the lucky AP holders to ride Star Tours on 6/1/2011 and got to do it twice! I have to say it was fantastic! I also got to ride the Ariel ride and it was a Disney HOME RUN!!!!!
Keep up the great work everyone!

jennifer on June 3rd, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Is that correct we can experience over 50 different travels on this attraction?

Laura from CA on June 4th, 2011 at 12:20 am

Well, it’s been a long time comin’! I was a media host at the original opening in 1987. I’m so glad that we are finally using the technology like it was intended. I have been on the ride several times and have seen all the destinations – but I have not seen Yoda yet!
I also watched the webcast – nice saber fight Mr. Staggs – LOL!

Nicholas on June 4th, 2011 at 1:09 am

Is that Jenifer Lewis, the old Star Tours spokesperson? :D

Gina on June 4th, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I really LOVE the video of Vader riding the rides while waiting for Star Tours to open… That was great!

gregg on June 4th, 2011 at 12:06 pm

@Nicholas, I believe it is. She also makes a cameo in the new pre-board video.

Kyle on June 4th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I guess my biggest concern is that the former Captain of the Star Speeder, Rex, is out of work. I was thinking, as long as we put a poncho on him, maybe he can lead one of the DC canoes?

Tim on June 4th, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I was lucky enough to catch the “soft-opening” on Memorial Day. I traveled to Hoth and Naboo. Each trip has a Rebel Spy, who was sitting behind me. (They put his photo up on the side screen.) At the start, Vader tried to keep us from leaving by holding the Starspeeder with the Force. I was told by Cast Members that the only item that doesn’t change in your multiple trips is that C3PO is always your pilot.

Martha on June 4th, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Can’t wait to ride this come July for my 21st birthday. Best present yet :D

ANGI from CA on June 4th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

the ride is awesome I was one of the lucky ones on 5-20-11 to ride Star Tours Thank you for giveing us a chance to visit our home away from home!!!

Christopher on June 4th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

@Jennifer:

Yes, 52 possible combinations of video sequences. Theoretically, you’d be able to see all there is to see in 3 rides, but it’s not very likely.

2 Intro sequences
3 Act One planet sequences
3 Act Two “communication” sequences
3 Finale planet sequences.

Jeffrey from CA on June 5th, 2011 at 2:51 am

Rebel spy? Wow! This does sound epic!

Looking forward to trying this ride out for myself :)

Anabel on June 9th, 2011 at 10:13 pm

i was very disappointed with the opening ceremonies. i went, despite the crowds, because i wasn’t even born when the first ceremony happened, so i thought it would be an amazing experience to be there this time. i was told by many that there was a possibility that George Lucas and other actors were going to appear for the opening ceremonies. i know, possibility, not an exact confirmation, but, I mean, c’mon, this ride deserves it, and Disneyland, in general, deserves it, it’s not right that WDW gets the good stuff when the original park doesn’t. while i was there opening day, i heard many, many people disappointed as well, many saying that they traveled far to see the ceremony and ended up wasting their time.

the ride itself is amazing, i’ve already been on it already 10 times and counting and i’ll never get tired of it..but still, the fact that we, here in California, didn’t get the same kind of ceremony or better than WDW is sad. we need our Star Wars Weekends too, why are we left out? Hopefull our Unofficial Star Wars Day at Disneyland pays off soon…