Sunset Over the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom

The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure Opens at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on June 2nd, 2011 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

Earlier today, we celebrated the opening of The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure with a special ceremony at Disney California Adventure park.

Jodi Benson, the voice of Ariel, performed “Part of Your World,” one of the memorable songs from the film’s Academy Award-winning score.

Also featured in the opening ceremony was Sherie Rene Scott, who starred as Ursula in “The Little Mermaid” on Broadway, performing “Poor Unfortunate Souls.” The celebration also welcomed Pat Carroll, the voice of Ursula in the film, and composer Alan Menken.

With The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, the Disneyland Resort continues “to leverage new technologies to tell a timeless Disney story,” said Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, Tom Staggs, “because at our heart, great storytelling is what we are all about.”

Now it’s your turn to go “under the sea” – The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure is now open at Disney California Adventure park!

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Rindy on June 2nd, 2011 at 11:13 pm

So awesome!!! The entrance looks great! Where’s the picture of Pat Carroll? And Alan Menken?

Rosemary on June 2nd, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Went on it yesterday and LOVED it! The under the sea sequence was sooo cute! Wish I could have seen the Opening ceremony

Brittney from CO on June 2nd, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I can’t wait to ride it in 2 weeks!

Fred from CA on June 2nd, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Very cool, Thanks for the pictures!

Last weekend I got a chance to ride during soft openings, its a really cool dark ride with wonderful animatronics and effects. It is sure to be popular, and I’m looking forward to riding it again.

As I mentioned in another post, people need to be aware that the story is told through music. There is an emphasis on the musical numbers. Its not a “book report” ride. So people should not expect to see ALL of the scenes and events from the movie.

Amanda on June 2nd, 2011 at 11:50 pm

when does the little mermaid ride open?

Robert on June 2nd, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Ooooh! Wish we had known. Would have loved to have been there to see it!

Sydney from CA on June 3rd, 2011 at 12:20 am

The pictures look wonderful, but I really wish you could share a full video of the performance! I know there are often rights issues involved, but it seems that a video of Jodi Benson & Sherie Rene Scott performing Menken’s music would both thrill fans as well as get linked around the disney/theater community, spreading the news about the new attraction :)

If indeed rights issues prevented video this time, I hope in the future the blog team can perhaps help arrange for the clearances for online streaming of opening moment performances– it would be really great to see the long-form version of the event.

Ramon on June 3rd, 2011 at 12:23 am

Hello Erin this is ramon 1st in line for star tour. My daughter and I aske why wasn’t any private previews for ariels ride like star tours… see ya later

Kirk on June 3rd, 2011 at 12:31 am

Congradulations to the WDI CA Team For finally gracing us with Ariel as She should be in a RIDE. What Magic they have in store for us next… Only the Imagination knows

Daniel from CA on June 3rd, 2011 at 12:43 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jodi, she is a great singer! I met her years ago at The Disneyana Convention! Can’t wait til Friday to see this new attraction!

TRACIE on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:31 am

I can’t wait, this ride looks so exciting. I remember seeing the movie when it first came out I was only 6.

Rachael on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:54 am

How exciting! Thanks for sharing with those of us who could not have been there in person. I just love Jodi Benson’s dress! Very with the the theme. Can you tell us the designer, please?

Sonia on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:17 am

really? How did I missed the opening? all along I thought the ride will open 6/3 not 6/2 or the opprotunity to ride it before for AP, I’m very sad about it ;o(

Cherylyn on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:59 am

I can’t wait to come to Disneyland in 3 weeks with my daughters. We are so looking forward to The Little Mermaid ride. It will be worth the 14hr flight from Australia

laura on June 3rd, 2011 at 8:03 am

Yes! I can’t wait to finally ride this it looks great!! I usually go to Disney World each year, but this year I am going to Disneyland in California for the first time June 21st! Can’t wait!

Lisa on June 3rd, 2011 at 8:30 am

Thank you for this post. Is there a video of the grand opening ceremony? I would love to watch it. We will be visiting next month and can’t wait to ride Ariel’s Undersea Adventure! It looks amazing!

Craig from OH on June 3rd, 2011 at 9:52 am

Like Lisa I’d also like to watch a recording of the ceremony; I’m looking forward to the Star Wars Wedcast in a few hours- I was live @ DHS two weeks ago and it will be interesting to see the golden coast’s…

Walter on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I agree with Mindy – where are Pat Caroll and Alan Menken’s photos? It would have been nice to see them, too.

Walter on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:26 pm

PS: I have enjoyed watching Pat Caroll on TV for many, many years – one very funny lady!

Matt on June 3rd, 2011 at 7:14 pm

What a special two day event this has been at Disneyland. Cannot wait to bring the family to experience all that is new and magical at the happiest place on earth!

Jeannine from NV on June 4th, 2011 at 12:58 am

…I will be at the park in 2 weeks to experience the culmination of all the imagineer’s efforts for Little Mermaid! The anticipation is tremendous!!! I KNOW I shall not be disappointed!