Fireworks at Cinderella Castle

Vintage Walt Disney World: A Festival of Fools

posted on June 23rd, 2011 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

'The Hunchback of Notre Dame – A Musical Adventure' at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Fifteen years ago at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (formerly Disney-MGM Studios), the city of Paris came to life at the Backlot Theater as Quasimodo and friends took the stage for “The Hunchback of Notre Dame – A Musical Adventure.” This 32-minute show opened June 21, 1996 – the same day as the film did in theaters – and entertained guests until it closed on Sept. 28, 2002.

The show told the story of Quasimodo’s struggle against the villain Frollo and his feelings for gypsy Esmeralda, accompanied by a musical score recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra. Traveling from the Bell Tower of Notre Dame Cathedral to the streets of Paris for the Festival of Fools, the show featured all of the characters made famous by the movie throughout its seven scenes. During the show’s climax, pyrotechnic special effects were used onstage when Frollo set the city afire.

'The Hunchback of Notre Dame – A Musical Adventure at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Even though I can’t experience this spectacular show any more, I can always join Clopin via DVD as he brings Quasimodo’s story to life.

Filed: Disney History, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

Isabelle from QC on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:11 am

Oh I miss that show. Saw it in 1996 or 1999 I think. Thanks for the images this morning :)

Laura from CA on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:12 am

That was a great show – I still miss it!

ESTELLE on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:16 am

This was one of my favorite shows, and I miss it on every trip. The performances were always top-notch and I believe this would make a great addition to Broadway at some point.

Thanks for bringing back the memories!

Suzannah from FL on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:20 am

Hunchback has some of the most memorable and moving music of any Disney animated film and this attraction showcased that perfectly. It was one of my favorites, as was its successor, the Pocahontas show. I miss them both! Thanks for sharing this!

Debbie from NJ on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:20 am

Our family still misses the Hunchback show! There was always a pre-show – a funny juggler who would interact with the audience. Also, the most talented cast!

Ana from TX on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:26 am

I LOVED this show!!!! Wish it was still around.

Debra on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:33 am

This is my all-time favorite Walt Disney World show, ever ever ever. I still miss it. I’m lucky enough to have some recordings of it. The performances were always stellar. I also adored the preshow with Matt the Juggler! Happy memories!

Kim from FL on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:42 am

Oh how I miss this show!!! The best WDW has ever offered! I got to see the very last performance – I still get misty eyed. And who didn’t love Matt the Juggler?! Can’t believe they took it away.

Tommye on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:47 am

Plus one! I loved the music and songs in this show. Oddly enough, I was just reminiscing about the show with my son 2 days ago.

Elizabeth from FL on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:50 am

I never saw this show in Florida, but I saw the Hunchback show at Disneyland and I’m assuming they were similar because I agree with the above comments that it was one of the best shows ever.

Wish they would bring it back.

Duane from FL on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:52 am

Family and I love this show and of course Matt the pre-show! I think the most times in a day to see the show was three our average was two! love the cast and performance. Still watching it at home on video…. Thanks for sharing this today!

Michael from FL on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:07 am

I loved this show, but I loved Matt the Juggler even more. That guy is fantastic! The last I heard, he was now working on the Boardwalk. is that still the case?

Bret from NY on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:12 am

I LOVED THIS SHOW!! Why won’t they produce more shows like this? The Pocahontas show was quite amazing too!

Brandy from MI on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:24 am

I adored this show! I have great photos from it during our honeymoon in 2000. It was amazing. I miss it.

chelsea on June 23rd, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I remember watching this show as a kid, I miss it so much! The singing and acting were wonderful!!!

Robert on June 23rd, 2011 at 1:08 pm

What a wonderful treat to see this on the blog this morning. This was, hands down, the best theatrical show that Walt Disney World has put on. The Hunchback of Notre Dame was instantly my favorite Disney movie (I was 11 when the movie premiered). I have to admit that I had a bit of an obssesion with this show… I would see it and then instantly jump back in line to see it again. Across my trips when this show was running, I must have easily seen it 30+ times. The cast of the show was amazing, and the Disney cast members who ran it made a strong impression on me. It was my first time learning what a “stage manager” was (thanks, Patti!), and it later influenced what I studied in college. Thanks for sharing this!

Nate Rasmussen on June 24th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

You’re welcome. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Paul from Kent on June 23rd, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Everyone’s right – one of my favourite animated features created one of the best shows in any Disney theme park. Only to be topped by the Mulan Show at Disneyland Paris…now THAT was a show!

Jeffrey on June 23rd, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I agree with the above comments – it was a great show. I just recently watched the movie again on a day home sick, and really enjoyed the music and messages of the movie. If I remember, it also had puppets and marionettes – wasn’t Jali the goat a marionette in this show?

Nate Rasmussen on June 24th, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Jeffrey, you are remembering right. Djali the goat was a marionette.

Letitia on June 23rd, 2011 at 2:23 pm

BRING IT BACK! It makes me weep a little inside every time I pass that building. Heck I use to tear up the first three notes upon entrance!

Letitia on June 23rd, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Overall still the BEST Disney Stage Show EVER!!!!!!!!!

Angela from MN on June 23rd, 2011 at 3:02 pm

This was THE BEST stage show!! I miss it so much – I always talk about it when we get to that area of the park. Makes me sad, but great memories!

Alison on June 24th, 2011 at 12:11 am

Ohh how I miss this show too. Miss swooning over Clopin and his voice too! To this day I wish they sold a Djali goat marionette like they used in the show.

Now that the show’s old theatre in enclosed, I would love to see a new show go into it. Or even an old show, like Twas the Night from Magic Kingdom would look great in there next to Spectacle of Lights, hint hint hint hint! =)

Anonymous on June 24th, 2011 at 12:55 am

This was the best show I think I’ve ever seen at Disney, I was so upset when it ended. I wonder if Disney has video footage from these shows…I would think that they would have to, and I would absolutely love to have copies of some of them on DVD!

Alexandra on June 24th, 2011 at 8:57 am

They had this at Disneyland too! I saw it there in 1996. I was very excited because we had been to see the movie a few days before we saw the show. I was only 8 but I remember it was very exciting.

Rhonda on June 24th, 2011 at 9:04 am

I’m with Letita….BRING IT BACK!!!! Best show ever!!

Melinda on June 24th, 2011 at 9:23 am

I wish they still had this show. I remember seeing it when I was little. Bring it back!

Corina on June 24th, 2011 at 9:35 am

Absolutely the best show ever put on. What a treat to get a Broadway quality show in the parks like that! The cast was excellent, and the show was so well done. Why you removed it will never be understood! It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about those memories. It should be brought back for a new generation to enjoy!

Katie on June 24th, 2011 at 9:47 am

I had memories of this show floating around in my head for many years, but on return visits to Disney, since it had been removed, I was seriously starting to think that I made it up! I remembered the bleachers in the building very well, but I couldn’t place the building in context – I couldn’t figure out *where* I saw it. I finally found some old park maps and realized that I wasn’t crazy and didn’t dream it up – it really did exist at MGM!
I’ve developed a new appreciation for Hunchback as I’ve gotten older, and I love Love LOVE the music! Sad that I can’t see the live show anymore, and I gave in and bought the non-fancy edition DVD last year (since my video tape has become a travesty, lol.) I hope Hunchback gets released on Special Edition soon!

Bryan from VA on June 24th, 2011 at 9:54 am

I miss this show and Tarzan Rocks! Nemo is good, but these were better.

Betsy from IL on June 24th, 2011 at 9:56 am

This is so great to see this blog! Hunchback was not one of my favorite movies, this however was the best theatrical stage show WDW has EVER had!! I was so saddened when they took it away. I did not understand why – I wouldn’t think due to lack of popularity. The music from it is so amazing that it made for the perfect stage show. The stage is still at Hollywood Studios and I keep wishing and wishing that they will bring it back (or at least put something in it’s place)!!

I also miss Matt the Juggler. I keep hoping they would have him at Fantasmik! but I never see him.

Janet on June 24th, 2011 at 10:05 am

Hands down this was the best show ever!! I saw it at Disneyland, and was just blown away. I was heartbroken when it closed. PLEASE bring it back to California!!!!

Carol on June 24th, 2011 at 10:23 am

Oh my gosh! We loved that show! We saw it in 1997. It was so sweet watching my 2 1/2 year old little girl pointing and trying to say Esmeralda! She was so excited!

Mark on June 24th, 2011 at 10:24 am

I agree! This was the best Disney show ever! I was so sad when it ended and would love to see it come back. I liked this better than the movie. I am sad that my children never got to see it.

Melissa from NE on June 24th, 2011 at 10:47 am

I can’t tell you how much I miss this show!!! My whole family usually laments its departure whenever we’re at Studios. It truly does rank among the best that the parks have ever produced. Just fabulous, quality entertainment!
I you would consider bringing it back….

Walter on June 24th, 2011 at 11:13 am

I also miss this fantastic show. Saw it many times. And I also wish they would consider bringing it back. There was always a long line to see this show, and I’m sure it would be a hit again. And, I miss Matt the juggler, too.

Sharon on June 24th, 2011 at 12:11 pm

This was DisneyWorld’s best stage show ever. I saw it sometimes twice each trip to WDW. I really miss it!!!!!

Joanne from ME on June 24th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I remember seeing this show in 1997. Does anyone remember where the theater was located within the park? I can’t recall, for the life of me, where it was. It probably has another use now.

Nate Rasmussen on June 24th, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Joanne, the theater was off of a side street in the Streets of America. I’m not sure how familiar you are with the park, but if you were walking out of Mama Melrose’s it would eventually be on your left. There is a new enclosed theater there now called Premiere Theater.

Christine from CA on June 24th, 2011 at 1:09 pm

This show needs to be brought back, in California as well. Especially since it’s the 15th anniversary. It was a lot of fun, very entertaining, it was like going to a renaissance fair, but even better….it had Judge Claude Frollo! XD

Veronica on June 24th, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I loved this show. This was one of my first Disney Parks shows and it remains very dear to my heart. I wish that something like this could come back to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

laura on June 24th, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I agree with everyone. A top rate show with excellent talent. It had to be a cost decision. It was our favorite. My daughter spent a year as “Essie ” I was quasimommy and my husband got to be Phebus (sp). We were looking at photos the other day and tucked away with them was a half of the playing card they would tear in half during the show. One of my daughters mementos from the show. I can still remember how they would walk out on the end or runway portion of the stage and shake hands at the end – that would make her year. Obviously this show brings back lots of great memories. Too bad it’s no longer there creating new memories. Matt was awesome!!!

Amanda on June 24th, 2011 at 8:28 pm

This was one of my favorite shows…I think it was better than the movie!

laura on June 24th, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Ha! Just showed those photos to my now seventeen year old and she got so excited – she thought it was back. Thanks for sharing these!

Wendy from CA on June 24th, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I loved this show so much! In fact one summer I worked it selling sodas to thirsty show goers up and down the bleachers. I miss the preshow juggler (Matt?) and his diablo.

Tina on June 25th, 2011 at 1:07 am

Loved the show at Disneyland so much that I took my first trip to disneyworld to see their version.

Edward from TX on June 25th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I must be getting old when things like this have become “vintage” Disney! I miss this show more than most. And does anyone else use the word “esoteric” in their daily lives…all thanks to Matt the Juggler? LOL. “Don’t get a degree in the Humanities”

Nate Rasmussen on June 27th, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Edward, you (and a lot of other people) had me thinking about the word vintage. I know we all associate it with the word “old,” so I looked it up online in the Merriam-Webster Dictonary and it has this as the definition, “of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality : classic.” So let’s think more in the terms of “classic” instead of “old.” I think we’ll all feel younger that way. :)

Kynna from TX on June 26th, 2011 at 10:17 am

This and the Alladin show in Disneyland are still my all time favorite theme park shows.

Maureen from CA on June 26th, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Nate, do you happen to know when the first picture was taken? I have a sneaking suspicion I am looking at the back of my head on house left…

Sarah from NY on June 27th, 2011 at 1:40 pm

While I love the Nemo musical, this was probably my all-time favorite live show in the park. Still miss it and wish you would bring it back!!!

Tatiana on June 29th, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I loved this show. Still have tons of pictures from it. I worked as a CP in Fall of 96 and Summer of 97, and worked at the cart outside the show. I heard the show everyday seven times a day for the entire summer, and miss it greatly when I return to visit. Thanks for the memories.