Disney Parks Blog Celebrates the 15th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Behind the Wall: Radiator Springs Racers at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on July 6th, 2011 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

Reading your comments on our recent virtual “drive-through” of the upcoming Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park, I could see that many Disney Parks Blog readers were excited to see what’s in store when the new experience opens next year. Today, we’ve got even more for you to see – new behind-the-wall photos of Radiator Springs Racers.

Behind the Wall: Radiator Springs Racers

In this first image, you can see Cars Land continuing to take shape, with one of the banked turns of Radiator Springs Racers in the foreground.

Behind the Wall: Radiator Springs Racers

Here’s a close-up of one of the banked turns, in which you can see the double-track where the ride vehicles will race side-by-side.

Behind the Wall: Radiator Springs Racers

In this broader view, you can get a feel for the scope of this attraction. Hills, banked turns, straightaways – who’s ready to go for a spin?

You can see these images and more about Cars Land at Blue Sky Cellar in Disney California Adventure park.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Fred from CA on July 6th, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I’m really looking forward to this ride! I love Cars (and Cars 2).

I cannot wait to explore Radiator Springs!

Chris on July 6th, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I am so ready to go for a spin!!! I am so excited for Cars land to open next year!!!!! This project is HUGE, and it jeeps looking more beautiful every day that goes by. Radiator Springs Racers looks like it is going to be the best ride in the Resort. So excited to go next year!!!!

Jen on July 6th, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Looks like it’s going to be a really fun ride! I can’t wait!

Brian from CA on July 6th, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Me..I am ready to go for a spin. Darn One year away.

Andrew on July 6th, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Any idea on when this Radiator Springs will be completed?

Pamela from CA on July 6th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

This is gonna be so cool! I LOVE Disneyland!!!!

Lauren on July 6th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

It wont be done until next year. My husband has been lucky enough to be working on the site for a while now. Its exciting to be able to see pictures!

Jodi from CT on July 6th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

It does look cool!! Does anyone know where in the park this is? Did they get rid of attractions for this? Just curious!

Diane on July 6th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Our family cannot wait for this to open! I think it’s going to be a favorite ride for all of us!

Brian from CA on July 6th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Question: Will Ramoons house on Cross Street make into the new land. It just would not be Cars Land without little details like that.

Laura on July 6th, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Every time my family goes to DCA we are thrilled with anticipation on the progress in Cars Land. While watching Cars 2 we couldn’t help thinking of the work going on in DCA. We can hardly wait for this ride, and all the other experiences to be had in Cars Land, to open. Summer 2012 can’t get here fast enough for us!

Marc on July 6th, 2011 at 1:50 pm

They keep saying 2012 but no confirmation of what month. Would love to know too. Looks fantastic!

Desiree A on July 6th, 2011 at 1:51 pm

This is so exciting. :)

Diane from BC on July 6th, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I can’t wait…planning a trip for Dec 2013…Christmas and Cars…my kids will be thrilled….

Ralph on July 6th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I am definitely looking forward to Carsland being finished. Since I am currently on sabbatical, and busy up north, I’m not watching or keeping track of the construction and refurb at DCA. About the time I’m finished up here, DCA should be finished. I am looking forward to finishing my task and getting back to So Cal.

Megan on July 6th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’m so excited for this expansion of DCA. I was skeptical at first but It’s finally starting to look like DCA will be worth paying the same price as a Magic Kingdom ticket. Who knows, maybe my husband and I will even renew our annual passes!

Fred from CA on July 6th, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Jodi–
The majority of Cars Land is being built on the former site of the Timon parking lot.
The Bountiful Vally Farm section of the park was removed to make way for one of the rides, Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree.

Also, this is just pure speculation on my part; but I would guess that Cars Land will be opened by summer 2012 by the earliest.

Fred from CA on July 6th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Brian–
Yes, Ramone’s House of body art will be included. You can just make out the building in the third picture. :)

Jeffrey from CA on July 6th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Those photos are AMAZING!

SO excited! Ahhhh!!!!

riley on July 6th, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Amazing

Brandon from CA on July 6th, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I am curious of the top speed on Radiator Springs Racers. Will it have the same 65 mph speed limit that Test Track has or will it be slower because the track has more turns? I am sure it will be great and exciting none the less akthough I am curious if the top speed because I have not read it anywhere.

mary on July 6th, 2011 at 6:33 pm

It is so exciting to watch the progress of Cars Land! We are taking an adult only trip to Disneyland in October and then taking the kids next fall once it is opened! Cant wait to share these pics with my family! Thanx for sharing this update!
I heard that construction is 6 to 8 months behind due to all the rain this year. Is this correct? Hope they get it done by fall next year. We are so excited to see it!

Doug on July 6th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

So, the cars will race side-by-side for the entire length of the Radiator Springs Racers?

Robert on July 6th, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Very excited to see the progress. I hope the ride vehicles for Radiator Springs Racers will look like the Cars is the “Cars” movies. The artists renderings that have been released only show the ride vehicles to look like simple generic looking cars you would find on any street corner. They look like Test Track cars with a new paint job :( I hope this is just a preliminary rendering and the actual ride vehicles match the “Cars” themeing much better!

Michele on July 6th, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Radiator Springs looks so great. Can’t wait to see it completed. But please keep the updates, photos and videos coming. We all love see the progress.

Monica on July 7th, 2011 at 12:58 am

wow!!! everything is looking amazing!!! thanks for sharing the construction of Cars Land!!! :)

Connie from CA on July 7th, 2011 at 9:12 am

WOW!!! I was already excited about this new area but now…I’m doing the Tigger bounce!!

Zachary on July 7th, 2011 at 11:58 am

Too cool! I actually live in the city with Cadillac Ranch, the inspiration for the unique mountain range in the movie. Did you know you can, and are encouraged, to go out to the Cadillac Ranch and spray paint the nose-down Caddies?

Fred from CA on July 7th, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Doug–
As I understand it from how the Imagineers have described it, the first part of the ride will be a dark ride experience, where you have encounters with some of the characters, then right before the racing portion, the track splits, and riders go into either Lugi’s Casa De La Tires, or Ramone’s House of Body Art to prepare for the race, then once the race begins, the cars will be racing side by side.

Fred from CA on July 7th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Robert–
As I understand it, the vehicles will have mouths and eyes (Though the riders will be able to see through the windshield.)

I have been following this project very closely, I’m very excited! :)

Maureen from CA on July 7th, 2011 at 4:07 pm

You can get a great overhead view of the construction from the top of the Fun Wheel!

Alyssa on July 8th, 2011 at 3:18 am

The canyon looks amazing! I am so excited for this section of the park to open. I will definitely be taking my son for his birthday. Love cars!

Lauren on July 9th, 2011 at 7:36 pm

This ride seems similar to Test Track’s outdoor area. What will this ride have in common to that????

Robert on July 11th, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I hope they have some Cars Land stuff at the D23 Expo

Nathan from WA on July 11th, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I love this!!

Robin on July 12th, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Darn you Disneyland! You really want me to come back!! After 15 visits to Walt Disney World I finally went to Disneyland in 2007. It was awesome. Someday I will make it back.