Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Stretch Painting

Disney Parks Toys and Games to Debut at D23 Expo

posted on July 27th, 2011 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

'TRON: Legacy' Monorail Die-Cast Vehicle

A few weeks ago my fellow author Michelle Harker gave you a first look at some new items coming to the D23 Expo Dream Store on Aug. 19-21. I begged her to let me write about some of the new toys and games that will make their debut at the Expo. I can summarize my reasons for wanting to write this article in three words – “TRON: Legacy” Monorail.

'TRON: Legacy' Monorail Die-Cast Vehicle

You may recall that I’m a huge fan of anything Tron. I remember the day in March 2011 that Cody Hampton, Associate Product Developer for Toys and Games, shared with me the first sample of this new die-cast vehicle. I was as excited as the first day I saw the actual “TRON: Legacy” monorail at Epcot. The monorail measures approximately 12 inches long and has wheels on the bottom of it. The toy will have an edition size of 3,000 and will be packaged two different ways – Sam Flynn’s blue Lightcycle version and Clu’s yellow Lightcycle version (roughly 1,500 of each packaging version were made). While the toy will debut at the D23 Expo, there will be limited quantities also offered at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Disneyland Resort Monorail Toy

Speaking of monorails, this past April I gave you a first look at the new Disneyland Monorail toy that is coming to Disney Parks. One of the coolest new features which Cody didn’t want to spoil is the remote control, a first for the monorail playset! When the sound button is pressed, you will hear the infamous monorail welcome spiel. Similar to the actual Disneyland Resort monorail, the doors only open on one side. The tops on some of the cabins also open so mini-figures can be placed inside.

Disney Parks Trivial Pursuit Game

Do you know what year the monorail was first introduced at Disneyland? The official opening was June 14, 1959, and it was the first daily operating monorail in the United States. If you answered that question correctly, then I challenge you to a game of “Trivial Pursuit: Disney For All” edition (it seems no one else wants to play with me ever since I’ve read “Disney A to Z” twice).

This new version of the classic Trivial Pursuit game will feature three question types (as the official press release describes): “’Take 2 Trivia’ – giving two chances to earn the wedge, ‘My Disney’ – a little personal trivia sparked by favorite Disney moments or characters, and ‘Disney List’ – work together to create lists or choose which don’t belong.”

I hope you are able to attend the Expo this year. I attended the first one in 2009 and was blown away by the awesomeness! For more information or to purchase tickets, visit http://d23.disney.go.com/expo/.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Kevin on July 27th, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Steven, I’ll take you on in Disney trivia! Should be fun!

Bobby from CA on July 27th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Will the Tron Monorail be available for purchase at the Disneyland Resort?

Steven Miller on July 28th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

@Bobby – The plan for California is to debut the monorail at the D23 Expo. If there are any quantities remaining after the Expo, then it would be released at the Disneyland Resort (location(s) to be determined).

Barbara Daniela from ON on July 27th, 2011 at 4:28 pm

The TRON:Legacy monorail is a piece that we will probably not leave Walt Disney World without on our next trip. My partner and I were thrilled to ride the actual TRON:Legacy monorail in July 2010 and this is the perfect souvenir!

Ron from OK on July 27th, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Any idea when the Disneyland monorail toy will be available in the parks? looks like a great Christmas present!!!

Jason from Hampshire on July 28th, 2011 at 3:44 am

Wow, LOVE the Tron Monorails! I collect Monorail things, so they are essential for my collection! Do you know when they will be on sale at Walt Disney World (we arrive on August 27th!) and how much they will be on sale for? They look AWESOME! :D

Reto on July 28th, 2011 at 4:22 am

I can’t wait for the Disneyland monorail. Will it be available for my trip in mid-November?

Steven Miller on July 28th, 2011 at 1:50 pm

@Ron and Reto – While I don’t have a confirmed date for the release of the Disneyland Monorail toy, I can say that it should be available by mid-November and Christmas. Cody believes that it is scheduled to arrive in October.

Heather from VA on July 28th, 2011 at 9:21 am

I saw somewhere else that the Tronorail will cost around $20…does anybody know when and where in the Magic Kingdom? I will be there on the 16th ( a couple of days before the expo) and I really want one!

Alexis from FL on July 28th, 2011 at 5:24 pm

My son loves his Disney monorail set and he also loves Tron, so this is perfect! This would be a fantastic Christmas gift for him. When will the Tron monorail be released at WDW? You stated there are limited quantities, do you know which stores will carry the Tron Monorail?

Allan on July 28th, 2011 at 6:18 pm

For the Tron monorail, I assume it’s the two different sides (Clu and Sam) like the real thing, just the difference in packaging is which one is facing out, correct?

Skip from FL on July 28th, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Please Disneyfy the trivial pursuit machine game on the 4th floor of Disney Quest.

Kevin on July 29th, 2011 at 12:21 am

Steven,

Another great article once again.

Are you planning to attend the D23 expo. I was disappointed to find out that you wouldnt have the opportunity to attend the Florida Project this September!!!! :( :(

Anyway, I saw the awesome new junior series on the vinylmation blog today. And big thanks to the people who keep that site up and running.

Will there be any vinyl releases or premieres besides the D23 exclusive vinyls that are going to be available for purchase at the Dream Store at the expo.

I heard lion king and alice in wonderland are the main series releases this august :D.

Kris on July 29th, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Hello!
Me and my brother are huge monorail playset fans we love them so much we have a fleet of 6 monorails! We really want to add the MkVII to our collection. We are coming to Disneyland in late August and would like to know if we will beable to buy the new Disneyland Monorail Playset when we are there? As we thing it looks amazing! :)

Anderson on August 2nd, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Hey there.

Thanks for your great updates!

I have a few questions regarding the merchandise. Will the entire supply be available on Friday? Or will they be staggered. I’m only going on Saturday, but thinking I will not have a chance at the vinyls or the die cast tron set.

Also, do you know if the Spooky Series Two pack will be available on disneystore.

Anderson

Shawn on August 26th, 2011 at 9:08 am

Did the Tron Die cast monorails sell out last weekend at the D23 event, or is there a chance of purchasing one at WDW in Florida?