'it's a small world' Holiday

Today in Disney History: Cars Land Groundbreaking

posted on July 8th, 2011 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios and Principal Creative Advisor, Walt Disney Imagineering, at Cars Land Groundbreaking

In the last few weeks, we’ve taken you on a virtual “drive-through” and behind the wall of Cars Land. Today, let’s go back to the beginning. Just two years ago – on July 8, 2009 – John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios and Principal Creative Advisor, Walt Disney Imagineering, dug the first bit of ground at what would become Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park.

From Left to Right: Jim Kearns, WDI VP of Project Management; Ed Grier, former President of the Disneyland Resort; John Lasseter; Bob Weis, WDI EVP, Creative; Kathy Mangum, WDI VP & Executive Producer, Cars Land; Bruce Vaughn, WDI Chief Creative Executive; and Mary Niven, Vice President of Disney California Adventure park at Cars Land Groundbreaking

Lasseter was joined in the groundbreaking by Jim Kearns, WDI VP of Project Management; Ed Grier, former President of the Disneyland Resort; Bob Weis, WDI EVP, Creative; Kathy Mangum, WDI VP & Executive Producer, Cars Land; Bruce Vaughn, WDI Chief Creative Executive; and Mary Niven, Vice President of Disney California Adventure park.

John Lasseter at Cars Land Groundbreaking

At the ceremony, Lasseter even spray-painted an impromptu Lightning McQueen on the pavement!

Today in Disney History: Cars Land Groundbreaking

KaChow!

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disney History, Disneyland Resort

Rob on July 8th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Erin- Are there plans for a cars expansion here at Walt Disney World replacing the Hollywood studios backlot tour? The fans have been speculating this for awhile! Hollywood studios in my opinion needs some TLC!

Fred from CA on July 8th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Ah yes! I remember when that happened.

I am so unbelievably excited about Cars Land! I’ve been waiting for it ever since it was first announced in 2007. I love Cars (and Cars 2) and it will be awesome to get to explore the town of Radiator Springs.

Also, I have to say that John Lasseter is an awesome guy. I’m so glad that he is chief creative officer at both Walt Disney Animation and Pixar Animation.
Its also great that he is principal creative adviser at WDI. :)

RUTH on July 8th, 2011 at 6:10 pm

We’re passholders and go to DCA almost once a month. It’s interesting to see the progress on each visit. Like with the recent openings of new attractions, I’m hoping for special passholder previews of Cars Land.

Monica from CA on July 8th, 2011 at 7:30 pm

John Lasseter is like a little kid. Just look at that face XD

Frank on July 8th, 2011 at 8:20 pm

That’s where all the parking went! LOL!

Diane on July 8th, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I want to work for Disney! I could be a P.R. person!! I love all this stuff…I’m so excited to see the progress from just last Nov.! It’s going to be awesome!

Aaron on July 9th, 2011 at 10:34 am

What a great energy that event must have had… So nice to see the leadership involved and showing their interest in the progress of attractions at the parks.

Laura on July 10th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

When will Cars Land be open? Sorry if I missed that date somewhere. We plant to go to DL next year, would like to have it open when we go!
Thanks.!

Emily on July 11th, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I hope I can go to Cars Land the next time I go to Disneyland Resort! I also hope I can watch Cars 2 when it comes out on DVD and Bluray!

Fred from CA on July 13th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Laura–
An exact date has not been given yet, but I would think that Cars land will be open by summer 2012 at the earliest.

Michelle on July 17th, 2011 at 1:25 pm

This is going to be great for the family! Can’t wait to see it!