Spaceship Earth at Epcot

Why We Love the Village Haus Pretzel Roll at Disneyland Park

posted on July 21st, 2011 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

The Village Haus Pretzel Roll at Disneyland Park

While we’re often recommending fresh fruit, water and other healthful snacks in the Disney Parks, when you’re hungry and on the go, sometimes a cold, crunchy snack just isn’t … well … satisfying.

At Disneyland park, we finally got around to trying the new Village Haus chicken sausage in a pretzel roll, topped with sauerkraut. A spicy mustard can be added for an extra kick. The very thought conjured up a satisfying dose of carbs and protein, with a touch of “healthful” (chicken sausage has a tad less fat than its pork counterpart).

Oh, it was the roll that had us wanting more – soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside. The generous quarter-pound sausage is more Italian than German, but we didn’t mind the culinary cultural exchange. If you gotta have a bratwurst, head to nearby Troubadour Treats next to Princess Fantasy Faire, served on the same pretzel roll.

Disneyland Chef Chris Maggetti worked with a local bakery to come up with the 5-inch pretzel roll, sliced and warm and full of deliciousness. “The bread has a terrific pretzel flavor and caramel color,” said Chris, who is also a food product development manager at Disneyland Resort.

You can opt for a side of fresh fruit – we go for fries. And then do our best to walk it off. Have you tried the pretzel roll – or do you have another quick bite at the Disneyland Resort that makes you happy?

Filed: Disney Dining, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

17 Comments 1 Reply

Fred from CA on July 21st, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Yes, I’ve tried the pretzel roll, very tasty!

I’m so glad that the Village Haus and Hungry Bear have gotten new menus! The new food items are great!

Barbara Daniela from ON on July 21st, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Hello Pam,

Great post! I will be visiting the Magic Kingdom in Orlando this September – Do you know if this delicious offering is available at any of the Disney Parks in Florida?

Marianna on July 21st, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I really wish that the parks had more vegetarian options. Veggie burgers and pasta seem to be the staple veggie plates everywhere. A meatless dog on a pretzel roll would be scrumptious!

Eric on July 21st, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I’ll add to Barbara’s request: Where can we drooling East-coasters find one at WDW?

Over here, the “VIllage Haus” is Pinocchio’s Village Haus, but they’ve gone healthy with chicken and pasta. (Which I guess makes sense, seeing as Pinocchio is technically Italian.) ;)
The Old Fantasyland theme is still Bavarian, but…can we find one at Epcot Germany?

Pam Brandon on July 21st, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Germany pavilion offers only traditional pretzels (the big, soft ones). Delish!

Daniel on July 21st, 2011 at 2:50 pm

One of my favorite items on all of the updated menus throughout Disneyland.

Ali on July 21st, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I haven’t been to the Village Haus in years because my family was just not a fan; looks like I’m going to have to give it another shot next time I’m there!

Shelby on July 21st, 2011 at 3:03 pm

As a vegetarian, I’m very thankful that Disneyland offers veggie burgers, but I sure wish you’d add some veggie dogs to the menu so we could try the pretzel roll.

Please consider adding this vegetarian option!

Aaron on July 21st, 2011 at 3:10 pm

The high quality and variety of food at the Disneyland Resort is unparalleled! Thanks for another great article about all the delicious surprises waiting for us on our next visit!

Andrea from AZ on July 21st, 2011 at 3:13 pm

This looks like a must have in 30 days, when we’ll be at the happiest place on eart!!! :) <3

Jenny on July 21st, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I love the Village Haus! The pastrami burger isn’t one to miss either. I really enjoy 1) the location, 2) the menu and 3) the plethora of seats!

Marianna on July 21st, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I wish that the parks had more vegetarian options. Veggie burgers and pasta seem to be the veggie staples. A soy dog on a pretzel bun would be scrumptious!

Lisa on July 21st, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I totally agree with Marianna. There are so many vegetarian/vegan sausages available on the market now – why not add a few to the Disney menu?

Anthony from FL on July 21st, 2011 at 8:56 pm

You can get this tasty treat at Epcot…during the Food & Wine Festival. My wife and I make sure to make our way over to the Germany pavilion to get one. It is absolutely amazing. Yum!

Too bad they do not offer this all year long. :(

Joshua on July 21st, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Aboslutely loved the chicken blt flatbread at Golden Oak Outpost! Big enough to share and so yummy.

Gregory from PA on July 22nd, 2011 at 4:24 am

I need this AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

David on July 25th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Add my voice to the addition of veggie dogs, or more specifically veggie sausage. There are many great veggie/soy based sausages (brats, italian sausage, etc…) now available. I’d definitely make them a part of my visits.

Emily on July 28th, 2011 at 2:32 pm

This looks amazing! I can’t believe I’ve never seen/heard of it before. Where is the VIllage Haus located?

One of my new favorite foods at Disneyland Park is the new chicken sandwich with sweet potato fries at the Hungry Bear. I’ve always loved sweet potato fries but never seem to find any place that makes them… Disneyland really is a place where dreams come true! :D °o°