King Arthur Carrousel

A Tribute to Betty Taylor & Wally Boag at Disneyland Park

posted on August 19th, 2011 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

'The Golden Horseshoe' Pays Tribute to Disney Legends Betty Taylor and Wally Boag at Disneyland Park

Yesterday at Disneyland park, we held a special celebration to remember two Disney Legends who we recently lost – Wally Boag and Betty Taylor.

This salute to “The True Legends of the Golden Horseshoe” kicked off with song and dance from the iconic show. Next, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs took the stage to pay tribute to these legendary entertainers.

Tom then welcomed some very special guests to the stage – Dorothy Fields, Betty Taylor’s sister, and Heather Dinkins, Wally Boag’s daughter. They were joined by Miriam Nelson, the original Golden Horseshoe Revue Choreographer and the 1955 Disneyland opening day choreographer, and several Disney Legends including Ron Dominguez, Jack Lindquist, Richard Sherman and Mouseketeer Bobby Burgess.

'The True Legends of the Golden Horseshoe' at Disneyland Park

The show continued with songs, dancing and tributes to the lives and careers of Wally Boag and Betty Taylor – complete with some of the most-loved Golden Horseshoe performances and footage of classic performances by these Disney Legends. Video messages from Steve Martin and Walt Disney’s daughter, Diane Disney Miller, showed the widespread impact of the magical performances Wally and Betty gave throughout their many years at Disneyland.

Disneyland Resort President George Kalogridis Presents Donation to Ralph Opacic, Executive Direct of the Orange County High School of the Arts

Also during the evening event, Disneyland Resort President George A. Kalogridis joined Ralph Opacic, Executive Director of the Orange County High School of the Arts, to present the school with a $10,000 donation in honor of Wally Boag and Betty Taylor.

“We’re pleased that we are able to help encourage the education and future of young performers and artists in our community,” Kalogridis said, “and we’re very proud of the role your school plays in creating a nurturing and educational environment for the young people of today.”

He then unveiled a new playbill that is to be posted inside the Golden Horseshoe, that as George said, “will forever pay tribute to their legendary roles.”

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

11 Comments 1 Reply

Suzi on August 19th, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Just as well I missed it, I’d have been a bawling mess!! *goosebumps just reading about it!*

Dean on August 19th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I wish that I could have been there…

Randy on August 19th, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Wow that is amazing and so glad that you got to experience it! Disneyland sure has some true legends who worked there before!

Nikolee on August 19th, 2011 at 2:49 pm

If i got a chance to be there I wouldn’t stop crying!

Mark from WA on August 19th, 2011 at 3:01 pm

That’s so awesome. I love the Disneyland Park DVDs that feature Wally’s performances at the Golden Horseshoe. A total throwback to true entertainment for the family. Good comedy without being remotely off colour.

On a personal note, I wrote to Wally Boag a couple of years back. Just a fan letter and I enclosed a self-addressed, stamped envelope and two index cards asking for one autograph for me and one for my friend who is also a huge fan of his.

About 3 weeks later, I receive a box in the mail. It says it’s from Wally & Mrs. Boag. I was freaking out! What could be in there???? Inside was his fantastic book “Clown Prince of Disneyland”. He had written a note on the inside cover, personally thanking me for being a fan and wishing me the best, along with an autograph. Inside the book were my index cards, each made out personally and signed. He also included a cash register sales display that was used to hold and sell his balloons to make balloon animals like he did in the Golden Horseshoe Revue. He had autographed that as well. This true artifact is from the 1960′s and just awesome to have.

He and his wife had mailed me all of this at their own expense along with a letter thanking me for being a fan and for writing. Talk about just a straight up awesome guy….

They don’t make ‘em like Wally anymore. A true legend.

Erin Glover on August 19th, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Great story, Mark. Thanks for sharing.

Frank on August 19th, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I wish I knew about this, I really miss the show, I think Arthur, may be the only person Who was there more than Mt Family and I!

Anita on August 19th, 2011 at 3:11 pm

And this is why I love Disney so much. True high class all the way!

Michele on August 19th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m with Dean, wish I could have been there. I would have camped out all day just to see this show!

John on August 20th, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Shoot, was this announced in a blog? I would have loved to have been there?

Michael on August 21st, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Hi Erin, Love your Disney blogs… I saw the Golden Horseshoe and I was just wondering when you’re going to feature Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. I’ve bought annual passes pretty much for them alone. I mean, Disneyland rules but Billy Hiil is so fun. Love them.

Karen on August 23rd, 2011 at 4:09 am

#11 – Since my hubby and I purchased the Sorcerer tickets for the D23 Expo, we were invited to this fantastic evening, which included bus service to and from the Anaheim Convention Center.

I used to go to the show every time I went to Disneyland when I was growing up and always loved to watch them entertain the crowds. We didn’t know going into the celebration what was going to happen, so I didn’t know if they were going to have people recreate the things they used to do, but it was even better, since they showed lots of great video of these great entertainers doing some of their best work.

After the show was over and we were on our way out of the area, we were given programs from the event that included a replica of the special Hall of Fame tribute that was given to each of the family and others at the end of the show.

It was an amazing time to be there and celebrate with everyone in attendance!