Walt Disney

Sneak Peek: Enchanted Storybook Castle at Shanghai Disneyland

posted on August 19th, 2011 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

In April, we officially broke ground on Shanghai Disney Resort, our sixth resort destination around the world and our third in Asia. That’s when Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, shared a few early renderings of the resort.

Today we’ve got more to share. At the D23 Expo, Tom and Bob Weis, Executive Vice President, Creative, Walt Disney Imagineering, updated us on the progress being made on the resort and gave us a sneak peek at the new Enchanted Storybook Castle.

An ornate archway provides a grand entry into Enchanted Storybook Castle, the inspirational icon of Shanghai Disneyland.  Its soaring spires make this the largest Disney castle ever built.

In the heart of Enchanted Storybook Castle is a magnificent winding staircase that leads guests on a “Once Upon a Time Adventure,” featuring the Disney Princesses.

The Enchanted Storybook Castle is going to be the largest and most immersive castle at any Disney park around the world and it will be the first of our castles not dedicated to a specific princess because it represents all of them. Inside, guests will be able to explore the multi-level castle, which will feature a princess meet and greet, the first ever Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique princess makeover experience inside a castle and Once Upon a Time Adventure, a large-scale, walkthrough experience. Also for the first time, the castle will be part of a boat ride attraction that will be one of the anchor experiences of Fantasyland.

A Rendering from the new dark ride that will be part of Shanghai Disneyland’s Enchanted Storybook Castle.

Check out this tour of the Enchanted Storybook Castle.

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Shanghai Disney Resort

Philip on August 19th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Since this castle is going to feature all the Disney Princesses, does that mean it will include all 10 of the official princesses (Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana and Rapunzel)?

Jorge on August 19th, 2011 at 7:48 pm

First ever boutique inside a castle..what about in Cinderella’s Castle at Walt Disney World, isn’t that the first one in a castle? lol

Marissa on August 19th, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Oh my goodness… that looks amazing! I would literally go to China just to see that castle. I think it’ll be spectacular!

Chris on August 19th, 2011 at 8:01 pm

“the first ever Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique princess makeover experience inside a castle”

My credit card bill from WDW last year would say otherwise.

Gustavo on August 19th, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Awesome!

Emily on August 19th, 2011 at 8:20 pm

This looks incredible!! I can’t wait to go there someday :D :D

Chelsea from RI on August 19th, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Isn’t the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique in Magic Kingdom technically in a castle?

Brian on August 19th, 2011 at 10:00 pm

If I’m not mistaken there is a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique in Cinderella’s Castle at the Magic Kingdom at WDW. I’m pretty sure, since I’ve made reservations for guests there, and the website says there is one.

This castle look amazing. It would be worth a trip to Shanghai just to see this! Everything looks great!

Monica on August 20th, 2011 at 12:35 am

Wow!! Its amazing!!! Thanks for sharing these wonderful images. Great job Disney Team! ;)

VINCENT on August 20th, 2011 at 11:03 am

Abosulutely amazing!! Now this is what the castle is supposed to be like! REALLY wish we could get this in the USA

Kyle on August 20th, 2011 at 11:59 am

I used to work at WDW, and the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is in the Cinderella Castle area, but not “technically” in the castle itself. The only thing inside of the Cinderella Castle at WDW is the Cinderella’s Royal Table Restaurant. If you walk through the entrance of the Cinderella Castle, you can walk all the way through the other side and you will find Prince Charming’s Carousel, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, and a number of other attractions, but they are not actually housed inside the castle.

As for the design art, I can’t wait to see it in person. I was actually disappointed when I went into Cinderella’s Castle for the first time because it wasn’t whole. I was still mesmerized and astonished, but undeniably disappointed.

Have a magical day everyone!

Cory from AB on August 20th, 2011 at 12:58 pm

This looks amazing! I love the idea of castles being actual spaces instead of merely elaborate props. Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to see the reopened walkthrough in California, and I missed the castle tour at Tokyo by a few years, but thus far my favorite castle is the one in Paris. While the exterior is maybe a little much (understandably so, since I love the chateau style of the Loire Valley which is also just outside Paris), the mtuli-level experience of it is incredible. From the gallery retelling the story of Sleeping Beauty on the second floor to the dragon in the cave beneath, it is one of my favorite attractions in any Disney park. And I’m envious of what Shanghai is now getting!

Krista on August 20th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

This looks absolutely wonderful! I can’t wait to go some day!

Jesus from - on August 22nd, 2011 at 12:17 pm

It’s a pitty Shanhai is so far away… Although, this might be the perfect excuse for a trip to China!!! lol :P