'World of Color' at Disney California Adventure Park

Carthay Circle Theatre Cupola Installed at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on September 9th, 2011 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

Late Wednesday night, Walt Disney Imagineering topped the new Carthay Circle Theatre at Disney California Adventure park with its crowning feature – a cupola modeled after the one which sat atop the historic theatre which was the site of the 1937 world premiere of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” The Disney Parks Blog video team was on hand to catch some great footage of the cupola as it was raised into position on top of the theatre – take a look!

We’ll have more details on the Carthay Circle Theatre and Buena Vista Street as the area continues to take shape at Disney California Adventure park, so keep checking back!

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

8 Comments 1 Reply

Fred from CA on September 9th, 2011 at 4:17 pm

That’s awesome! Thanks so much for the video.

It really gives a peek of the great detail that the building will have.

Dean on September 9th, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Yay! I can’t wait to go back to see it! They are really making progress on the construction. It will be cool to be transported back in time.

David from UT on September 9th, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I’m curious, is the Carthay at DCA going to be a 1:1 scale replica of the original, or will it be smaller?

Erin Glover on September 14th, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Hi David – Coulter Winn, Principal Concept Architect, Walt Disney Imagineering, tells me that the Carthay Circle Theatre at Disney California Adventure park will be approximately 3/4 scale of the original.

Thor from CA on September 10th, 2011 at 5:07 am

I spotted this above the construction tarps when leaving Disneyland tonight. It’s very tall, and it’s creating a neat new “skyline” for Buena Vista Street above the new turnstiles. It’s very tall!

Frank on September 10th, 2011 at 1:54 pm

This is great. I grew up in Carthay Circle (my parents still live there), and saw many movies at the Carthay Circle Theater, including Mary Poppins! I’m so glad that Disney will let me relive those wonderful memories, every time I visit California Adventure. Thank you for that!

Lindsey from AB on September 11th, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I love that DCA is going to be less kitsch and more history!!! Classic Disney. Ive never been to DCA, (been to Disneyland and Disneyworld) but all the new changes are making me want to go!

Suzanne on September 12th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I can’t wait to see the new Buena Vista street!

Dinah on September 12th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

this is pretty awesome!! it’s like we’re getting a whole new park. i’m really excited with all these new things, and i can’t wait to explore once they’re all open to the public.