Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park

Duffy The Disney Bear is Ready for Halloween at Disney Parks

posted on September 9th, 2011 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Halloween Pumpkin Duffy The Disney Bear

I’m still in the early stages of deciding which costume I’m wearing for Halloween this year (I need to be something different than a space cowboy). There is someone, however, who already has several costumes options for Halloween – my friend Duffy The Disney Bear. This fall, we are releasing several new pre-dressed bears and costumes for Duffy. I spoke with Monty Maldovan from Disney Design Group about his work on these new items.

“The twelve-inch Halloween pumpkin Duffy was inspired by a costume and a keychain that was released at Tokyo Disney Resort last year,” explained Monty. “We thought it was an adorable design. So we created the pre-dressed Duffy which was something not offered in Japan.”

The Halloween pumpkin Duffy is more than just a new plush bear; the outfit has inspired a new costume and visual overlay for Duffy’s meet-and-greet areas. At Disney California Adventure park, his meet-and-greet area will be turned into Duffy’s Pumpkin Patch starting in mid-September. At Epcot, Duffy’s meet-and-greet area near Mexico Pavilion will be decorated with fall décor starting at the beginning of October. Plus, Duffy will be at Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party next to City Hall on Main Street, U.S.A., starting on Sept. 13. He will also make special appearances at the Halloween events in Disneyland park starting at the end of September.

Duffy The Disney Bear in Sorcerer Mickey Costume

Besides a pumpkin, Duffy has a few more outfits being released in mid- to-late October. One of Monty’s favorites is the Sorcerer Mickey inspired costume for a 17-inch bear.

“I think the Sorcerer outfit is my favorite as it’s super cute,” continued Monty. “I love the way the stars and moon light up when you push a button on the back of his hat. The light up feature is something we have not used before on a Duffy outfit.”

Duffy The Disney Bear in Aviator Costume

I think my favorite is the aviator costume for a 17-inch Duffy. I admit I had some fun creating the photograph above. Monty explained the outfit was a nod to an area at Disney California Adventure park.

“We have released many outfits that were inspired by Epcot,” said Monty. “We felt it was time to give some love to Disney California Adventure park, specifically the Condor Flats area. The goggles are my favorite feature. I wasn’t sure how they would look when designing the costume, but I’m thrilled how they turned out.”

Duffy The Disney Bear in Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Chef and Aulani Costumes

I wish I owned an airplane. If I did, I would fly to Aulani, the newly-opened Resort and Spa at Ko Olina, Hawai’i, this afternoon! We recently released a pre-dressed, 12-inch bear at the Resort. It’s the only place you can find it and the bear was one of the top items on opening day! Monty used “Duffy blue” for his board shorts and visor but gave them a washed out look (like Duffy had been enjoying the warm Hawai’ian sun and ocean all afternoon).

Since I don’t have an airplane, I will need to settle for my favorite event at Walt Disney World Resort – the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival (oh hurry up September 30 and get here!). For the festival, we will be releasing a 12-inch bear featuring Duffy in a chef outfit.

I would love to see how you are dressing your Duffy for Halloween. Feel free to share photos on Duffy’s official Facebook fan page.

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

V from MD on September 9th, 2011 at 9:49 am

Will Disney US be releasing separate costumes like Japan? I don’t need an extra bear but, I would like to add a few costumes.

Suzanne from IL on September 9th, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Will these be available to buy online? I would love to buy the sorcerer duffy costume!!

Jesselynn on September 9th, 2011 at 3:57 pm

They are too cute! May have to get myself one at Mickey’s Not So Scary next week.

Darlene from SC on September 9th, 2011 at 8:24 pm

OK! The aviator is just too cute for words.

Amy from FL on September 10th, 2011 at 11:11 am

Suzanne, you can only buy Duffy merchandise at the Disney parks or by calling their mail order service (you can find that info via Google). That being said… LOVE the sorcerer costume! Looks way better than I was expecting! Not happy the Halloween offering is another 12″ pre-dressed bear. I don’t need a bazillion 12″ bears. I want COSTUMES for my 17″ bear! Oh and what about the Mouseketeer costume we’ve been teased with? And when are these costumes being released?

Steven Miller on September 12th, 2011 at 9:53 am

@Suzanne – For now, you can call Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or email
merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

But stay tuned for some exciting news coming soon :-)

@Amy – The good news is that the Sorcerer and Aviator costumes pictured above are for the 17-inch bear. You will also see a Santa Claus costume this year.

The Mickey Mouse Club costume that was recently shown on the official Facebook fan page for Duffy the Disney Bear will appear in early 2012. There are several other costumes being introduced next year, including one that is very strong in The Force :-) But that’s another story…

Jonathan on September 10th, 2011 at 2:32 pm

That’s cool! :)

Robin from TX on September 12th, 2011 at 9:39 am

Buying my 1st “Duffy” in a few weeks! I can’t wait to add him to my “Family”

Jessica on September 12th, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Can we expect to see Duffy in a Christmas outfit at his meet and greet in December? I would really love to get a picture with him in his holiday outfits. Adorable idea! also, will Shelly Mae be coming over soon?

Steven Miller on September 13th, 2011 at 10:44 am

@Jessica – Stay tuned on his Christmas outfit. :-) We are currently focused on Halloween right now (though I could do with some cooler December temperatures – Ha!). As for Shellie Mae, she currently resides at Tokyo Disney Resort in Japan. We are only focused on Duffy the Disney Bear for Disney Parks in the United States at this time. But if you are going to Japan soon, please take me with you. I so want to go back. Tokyo DisneySea was amazing!!

Jason on September 13th, 2011 at 5:03 pm

My wife and I went to Disney World on our honeymoon, and this October marks 5 years together!! I would love to surprise her with one of these on our anniversary. We cant make it to the park this year, but I figured I could bring part of the park to her. Any information on how to purchase one of these and a few outfits would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Steven Miller on September 15th, 2011 at 9:24 am

@Jason – First, let me extend a sincere congratulations! That’s wonderful news! I wish you many more happy years together.

For now, I invite you to contact Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or email
merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

They can help you in finding something special. Note that the Sorcerer and Aviator outfits won’t arrive until probably mid-October.

And October will be an exciting time for Duffy. Stay tuned…

Jennifer on September 15th, 2011 at 10:33 pm

“And October will be an exciting time for Duffy. Stay tuned…”
Even more will be happening besides just Duffy showing up at the party, in his new costume, and more costumes being in stores?

Jonathan on September 25th, 2011 at 12:22 pm

When in October will new Outfits for Duffy will be available?