Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse Walk Under the Arch of Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Park

Magic Kingdom Parking Lot Welcomes Heroes and Villains at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on September 21st, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Are you a “hero” or a “villain”?

Magic Kingdom Parking Lot Welcomes Heroes and Villains

Pretty soon, that’s all guests at Magic Kingdom Park will need to remember in order to find their vehicle in the parking lot at the end of the evening – or at least, doing so will help narrow down the location.

Earlier this week, work began to split the parking lot into what will be two main sections, “Heroes” and “Villains,” and then smaller sections within each, including: Woody, Aladdin, Peter Pan, Simba, Mulan and Rapunzel (Heroes lot), and Zurg, Jafar, Hook, Scar, Cruella and Ursula (Villains lot). Each lot also will have its own color, so essentially, all you have to remember is one of these three characteristics (hero, Rapunzel or blue) and you can find your car.

If only Disney could help you remember what your rental car looks like!

(Note: The time completion of these parking lot changes may be influenced by weather).

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Steven on September 21st, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Why?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 22nd, 2011 at 10:34 am

To make it easier for guests to find their car at the end of the night. Instead of several different sections, the new system splits the lot into two sections – Heroes and Villains. Rows within the section are named after different characters.

Jeffrey from NC on September 21st, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Calling all Disney Pin designers!! You have some work to do…

Mindy on September 21st, 2011 at 12:44 pm

what happened to Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto and Daisy?

Joel on September 21st, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Some things are better left unchanged. Each year, Walt Disney World purists have less to revisit and remember from the original park. It makes me sad.

tina on September 21st, 2011 at 1:14 pm

This makes me a little sad. What’s wrong with the classics in the parking lot. No more dog pound?

Cotney from MA on September 21st, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I don’t like this. The parking lot should stay the same IMO. It has worked for 40 years. LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! I don’t want the “Why is Donald on the left? Cause Daisy is always right.” joke to go away.” Sadness Disney…sadness :(

Cotney from MA on September 21st, 2011 at 1:40 pm

If you’re gonna do this…DO IT TO DOWNTOWN DISNEY!!!! That could use some parking lot flair.

Varsenik on September 21st, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Agree with many on the why. Seems like this would be a better fit for Disney’s Hollywood Studios, considering Fantasmic’s heroes and villains theme. I will miss the Fab Five at Magic Kingdom!

Philip on September 21st, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I can’t help, but roll my eyes at some of these comments.

This is nothing more than just a mere name-change, folks. It’s not the end of the world!

They’re doing this because this might make it easier for guests to re-locate their cars when they leave the park at the end of a busy day.

Erica on September 21st, 2011 at 1:49 pm

@ Joel – Thank you. Couldn’t have said it better myself. I don’t understand why ‘classic’ Mickey & Friends characters aren’t easy enough to remember for people to get to their cars.

Between yesterday’s surprising news, and this tiny update from the TTC parking lot, I’m a little sad with WDW this week.

Christina on September 21st, 2011 at 2:00 pm

But I LIKED parking in the Dopey and Grumpy lots!!!!

Frankly, if you can’t remember where you parked your car, take the bus.

Brian on September 21st, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I missed the old parking lot sign at the Disneyland Resort, but having never used any of the lots at WDW, I have no problem with this change, I think it’s cool!!

Jeff from OH on September 21st, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Thank you #9 Philip, it’s that easy.

Samantha on September 21st, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I like to hear about the new update. Im glad to hear we will have a Zurg parking lot. I think there should be more zurg out there!

Jeffrey on September 21st, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Bummer. I will no longer be able to tell my Magic Kingdom parking lot joke — “Which one of the Seven Dwarfs does not have a parking lot section and why? (pause) Doc. Why – because “Doc” is where you park the ferry boats.” Bah, dum, bum.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 22nd, 2011 at 10:31 am

:) Thanks for adding some humor in here!

Dustin on September 21st, 2011 at 3:30 pm

So I’m assuming I’ll have to park my magic carpet in the Aladdin section?

ryan from FL on September 21st, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Sometimes change is a good thing.
This is not one of those times.
This should be done at Downtown Disney not the Magic Kingdom.
Also since when is Rapunzel a hero?

Philip on September 21st, 2011 at 4:14 pm

You’re welcome, #13 Jeff.

After all, asking for things to stay the same all the time is like asking the company to go against Walt’s vision, since he never wanted the parks to stagnate and become stale or frozen in time.

While I agree that some things from the past should remain, some other things are just not worth losing sleep over.

People really need to stop behaving like this every time something changes or something happens that isn’t to their liking all the time. It’s annoying.

Joseph from FL on September 21st, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I think that this is a great idea! It’s going to be an easier way to remember where you have parked your car. And, for anyone who doesn’t agree with the change, just stay at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel and you can just take the bus to the park without worrying about where your car is parked.

Philip from FL on September 21st, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I will definitely miss the old sections as well! Isn’t there enough division in the fab five plus one on one side and the dwarfs on the other?! As a Pluto fan, I’ll miss one of the few tributes to Pluto that is left. Oh well…

Vi on September 21st, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Seriously complaining about the parking lot.

Chris on September 21st, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I think this is a fantastic idea – and a great, easy way to incorporate new characters into the parking lot. As a side note, how much longer before the blog disables the comment section? I think if people want to complain and be so dramatic about even simple things like this, they should at least have to get out a pen and paper and mail their complaints. These comment sections are making it too easy for negative people.. :)

JEANY on September 21st, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I don’t get it! this is confusing parking lot names!

Kristi on September 21st, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I don’t have a problem with them changing it, but I do wonder about the heroes/villians thing. Not sure I’m real happy with promoting the villians as equals to the heroes here — to little kids. Can also picture some not liking to be stuck in the villians lot. There is a place for the villians for teens and adults, but would rather see them promote the heroes, rather than the ‘dark side” for something like this. There are plenty of positive characters to use. Guess I have to admit some nostalgia for the old foundation characters for the Magic Kingdom, seems more appropriate, somehow. But then they used Lion King characters for Disneyland lots at one point — for no real obvious reason.

Dara on September 21st, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I think it’s great, what a fun idea :)

Alexa on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:40 am

I happen to think this is a great idea. It’s about time the parking lot gets an update! Thank you!

Bernadette on September 22nd, 2011 at 4:54 am

“I only hope that we don’t lose sight of one thing – that it was all started by a mouse”.

By all means introduce a villains section if it is thought this might help those who cannot remember or write down their parking lot but please, please keep the classic Mickey & Friends.

Patrick on September 22nd, 2011 at 10:12 am

Change is inevitable as things need to be refreshened to keep the aura alive, but I think there is a leap in logic. If someone can’t remember that they parked in the Donald Duck area, how will they remember the Jafar area? I think the reason for the changebeing helpful remembering where they parked is weak. If the intent is to make the areas represented by characters smaller, so parkers have a smaller area in which to look for their car, that migt have some merit, but they still have to remember what section they were in. After exhausting mutiple days at the park it’s easy to forget what character you parked near. The best solution for people parking is to write it down and stick it in your purse/wallet/bag.

Chris on September 22nd, 2011 at 1:12 pm

@ Bernadette – Did you know that there is no Mickey section of the parking lot? If you parked your car in Mickey, you will have to board a plane and fly all the way out to CA. Just some fun trivia for ya! :)

Lisa from VA on September 22nd, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I agree with the majority of the posts. LEAVE IT ALONE! If visitors have a problem finding their car now, they will have a problem finding their vehicle when the Villains & Heros replace our old Disney Heros! If you cannot remember you are parked in Pluto, Goofey, or Dopey, etc… you are “Dopey” and will not remember you are parked in Ursula. I am 50 years old and was at Disney World the year it opened. I return several times every year, but I am getting very tired of the changes. We flock to WDW with our children and grands for the nostalgia and love to pass it along. I’m an annual passholder and a stockholder too. Updates are great, but too much change is not. Update the old parking signs with newer more colorful signage, but leave the current names as is. One post suggested using the new signs at Disney Marketplace, Downtown Disney, and Disney Westside. That is a great idea.

Steve on September 22nd, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Please don’t change it to the Pixar parking lot. Out of all of the parks at Walt Disney World the Magic Kingdom parking lot needs to stick with the classic characters. I can’t believe anyone would think of this as a good idea. I have never lost my vehicle at the park by the way. If it’s a simple matter of making cars easier to find, provide printed cards that have the car’s location on it. You can already find those in parking garages. It would be cheaper than all of the Fast Passes that are printed and used everyday.

Paul on September 26th, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I agree w/ #28 Patrick 100%. If you cannot remember which character section you parked in, it will not matter which character it is. While sometimes change is good, but in this case it makes no sense & will not help those w/ memory problems. I also agree – if WDW is going to introduce heros/villains to a parking lot, it should definitely be at the Studios.
P.S. – Bring back Mickey & Minnie’s houses!!!

Logan on September 27th, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Really? I mean the AK announcement I can understand complaining about. That’s a big deal, but THIS is the parking lot. Heroes/Villains actually WILL make things easier. I used to be a cast member and I can tell you, based on my experiences with guests, this will make it simpler. If you can’t remember the exact character you’ll certainly be able to at least remember if they were a good guy or a bad guy.

and @#17 (Ryan) Rapunzel IS a hero. She’s the hero of Tangled. She saved Flynn’s life a number of times through out that movie AND stood up to Mother Gothel (her villain). So, yes, Rapunzel is a hero and has been since the movie was released.

I, personally, think this is a cute change. I like that the villains are getting a bit more acknowledgement.