Disneyland Paris, Phantom Manor

Mickey and His Pals Get ‘Animated’ in a Unique Way at the Magic Kingdom Park

posted on September 27th, 2011 by Gary Buchanan, Social Media Managing Editor

Creating animated motion using still images has been a favorite of designers on the Internet for many years. With a series of still photographs, artists can create fantastical scenes and vignettes that tell stories at a single glance.

Stitch Gets 'Animated' at Magic Kingdom Park

We recently asked some of our favorite Disney Parks character pals to join guests in Magic Kingdom Park to create a few of these vignettes. Disney Parks Photographer Kent Phillips conducted photo shoots with Mickey, Stitch and Goofy, and then Production Director Ed Brown and the rest of the magic-makers of Disney’s Yellow Shoes Creative Group went to work to bring Kent’s photos to life.

Mickey and His Pals Get 'Animated' at Magic Kingdom Park

I asked Kent to explain a bit about the methods he, Ed and the team utilized. “A sequence of still photos is taken, with a single photo used to comprise the majority of the visible frame. Holes cut digitally in that photo allow select pieces of the rest of the sequence to be seen running behind them. The whole thing is set to loop continuously, and a still picture is given a breath of life.”

Goofy Gets 'Animated' at Magic Kingdom Park

Speaking personally, I think it’s fitting that Mickey and his pals have told countless stories over the years through animation and that this process is yet another form of animated storytelling in which they are featured.

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Brian from CA on September 27th, 2011 at 11:55 am

I love the Stich on. To make the action a little longer you should have Stich chase the duck in the background off to camera right then loop the animation

Michael from CO on September 27th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

This is so cool! I can’t wait to see more of these, along with audio, this would be awesome in my videos from the parks.

Add this to Photopass, along with ride photos and more locations of photographers, and you have a winning service! Cant wait to visit the pros again!

Also, Photopass printing onto a 9″ vinylmation might be a good idea.

Eric on September 27th, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I’ll second Mike’s suggestion; something like the balloons or Goofy ears would be a great option on the CD’s and Photopass download. (Had a hilarious Stitch encounter myself, once.)
With everyone managing their own digital photography nowadays, it’d be nice to have a few Disney touches on the professional photos.

Kristin from IL on September 27th, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I love these, they make me think of harry potter pictures! I wish that there was a way we could make these to be able to hold.

James on September 27th, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Those famous images elsewhere have one thing that these lack: subtlety. The second and third pictures would be so much better if you just slowed them down.

Krista on September 28th, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I love these! They are probably the best animated photos I have seen. Usually the looping in animated photos is way too obvious but with these it isn’t. I especially love the Stitch one.

john from FL on September 28th, 2011 at 6:57 pm

All 3 pics are at the Magic Kingdom. And the movement is great, my fav. is GOOFY my name sake as my wife says.Once again you at Disney have done a FANTASTIC JOB.. Thanks, John

Skip from FL on September 29th, 2011 at 12:16 am

Am I the only one taken aback by Stitch? Whoa! Had the balloons and ears pictures been first, it might have let me know what to expect.

Ann from CA on October 2nd, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Stitch is the BEST! Maybe should have saved him for last. The others are a bit dull in comparison. But I’m just grateful they included Stitch–he doesn’t get enough love anymore!