Disneyland Monorail

Today in Disney History: Mickey’s PhilharMagic Debuts at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on September 30th, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Today in Disney history, one of Fantasyland’s most innovative attractions to date made its grand debut at Magic Kingdom Park on Sept. 30, 2003.

Mickey’s PhilharMagic at Magic Kingdom Park

Mickey’s PhilharMagic features a cast of 14 Disney characters performing together in a digital 3-D film that shows just what happens when Donald Duck gets ahold of Mickey Mouse’s conductor’s baton. Songs featured in the show include “Be Our Guest,” “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King,” and “You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!”

Mickey’s PhilharMagic was the seventh 3-D film presented at Walt Disney World Resort. Can you name the others?

Filed: Disney History, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Christopher on September 30th, 2011 at 9:44 am

Was a College Program Cast Member when this attraction opened. I was in the first group to preview it! AMAZING!!!!

Paul on September 30th, 2011 at 10:11 am

I was there when it opened. The Cast Members were trying to pull people in to see it, since it wasn’t on the map and people didn’t know what it was. My wife and I saw it three times the first day, and twice later in the week, when word apparently got around, since there were fairly long lines then. I still think this is one of the true highlights of Magic Kingdom and a real masterpiece. True Disney magic!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 30th, 2011 at 10:17 am

I agree. I love this attraction – especially the blueberry pie smell!

Melissa on September 30th, 2011 at 10:35 am

muppet 3d, a bugs life, the one with phigment, honey i shrunk the audience, the Michael Jackson one annnnnnd…….

Alison on September 30th, 2011 at 10:39 am

1. Captain EO
2. Honey I shrunk the audience
3. Muppetvision 3D
4. It’s Tough to be a Bug
5. Magic Journeys
6. Philharmagic

What is the 7th ?!!! It’s eating me haha.

Jason from NC on September 30th, 2011 at 10:41 am

MuppetVision 3-D
Captain EO
Honey I Shrunk the Audience
It’s Tough to Be a Bug
Magic Journeys

Do Stormstruck, Toy Story Mania, or Star Tours: The Adventures Continue count??

Yusuke on September 30th, 2011 at 11:50 am

Hi from Tokyo!
In Tokyo DisneyLand, Mickey’s PhilharMagic grand debut on Jan. 24, 2011.
That’s awesome attraction.We can enjoy Disney’s world in Japan too.
Especially I like the scene of flying in the sky to ride magic carpet.
Happy anniversary for WDW 40th !

Ed on September 30th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

The seventh would most likely be Working for Peanuts which, if memory serves, was screened as the preshow for Magic Journeys when it was shown at Magic Kingdom.

HEATHER on September 30th, 2011 at 1:17 pm

was Body Wars considered a 3D film?

HEATHER on September 30th, 2011 at 1:18 pm

oh I forgot to add: I saw lion king 3d this past weekend and when they sang “just can’t wait to be king” I thought of the Philamgic Theater:)

Eric on September 30th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I remember when “Legend of the Lion King” had to be retired, there was a feeling of “Bring back the Mickey Mouse Revue!”, even though the 70′s-animatronics would’ve been too ancient by then. But we got our tribute to Mickey and music anyway. :)

(Back in ’03, Michael Eisner also had his secret agenda of using the attraction to show us what Peter Pan and Donald Duck would look like as 3D CGI characters, but thankfully, he never had time to pursue THAT idea any further as he hoped to.)

Wendy on September 30th, 2011 at 4:19 pm

@HEATHER – I saw Lion King 3D this past weekend as well and definitely was thinking of PhilharMagic!!

I have to say, this is hands-down one of my very favorite attractions at any park in WDW. The fact that it features all the movies I grew up loving makes it real nostalgia-filled experience. I hope this 3D movie never loses its mass appeal and stays around for years to come.

Jeff on September 30th, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I was skeptical of this attraction at first. The trip before I was at the Hollywood Studios and the animator, sitting by the computer, told us all animation at the time was going to be CG. However, it finally hit me that this would work when I saw Peter Pan fly off with Donald next to Big Ben. I teared up watching it. I also like they kept the big bass sound in this show like they did with the Legend of The Lion King. I always liked it when that bass hit in “Just Cant Wait To Be King”, and still do!

Jim from NY on September 30th, 2011 at 6:33 pm

One of our favorites when we visit. Can’t miss it!

VINCENT on September 30th, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Love it! Would love to see it expanded on with new scenes too especially would love to see Alice in it.

TRACEY from TX on October 2nd, 2011 at 11:56 am

I was there for the opening! Another BIG opening happened on Oct 8th and that was WISHES! The next day on the 9th EPCOT opened Mission: Space. I was lucky enough to attend the media event for the openings. For Wishes the Brian Setzer Orchestra played and we were given a lanyard that had small disc with the soundtrack. I still have the item and love it!!

Lisa from OH on October 4th, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Seriously one of my FAVORITES!!! I love to sing along! :)

Linda from GA on October 5th, 2011 at 7:22 am

I LOVE Mickey’s Philharmagic! There is no way possible to watch this and not have smile on your face! It is so much fun to see the kids in the theater trying to grab the all of different objects! So fun! A must do in the Magic Kingdom!

@Heather and Wendy…I thought the very same thing! Made me long for a WDW vacation!

Natalie from CA on October 5th, 2011 at 2:01 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! I Love Mickey’s Philharmagic! My first trip to WDW was in 2005 (17 years young then!) and this was definatly on the must list to go see. Show was briliantly done and I can’t wait to go back to see it again!

Samuel from AZ on October 6th, 2011 at 1:18 am

I wish this was at DCA in Anaheim (maybe in the space in the old “Millionaire” set. I can’t see enough of it when I make my once every few year trek to FL.

Bobby from CA on October 6th, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I would love to see this come to DCA or DL. I’ve never been to WDW but this looks amazing!!!