Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Walt Disney Stands in Front of a Christmas Tree in his Studio Office

Wildlife Wednesdays: Baby Elephants Jabali and Luna Are Becoming the Best of Friends at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

posted on September 14th, 2011 by Jackie Ogden, Ph.D., Vice President, Animals, Science and Environment, Disney Parks

We just couldn’t resist doing another post on our baby elephant Jabali, born August 24 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Now that he’s out on the savanna with the herd, each day brings new discoveries. Of course, mom Vasha and big sister Kianga are always nearby, and our animal care team is keeping a watchful eye.

Since they’re so close in age and elephants are very social, we were wondering how Jabali and Luna (who turned one year old a few months ago) would get along. Members of our elephant team report that, at first, when Jabali approached Luna, she would run away, probably not sure what to make of the new kid on the block. Then, once she became more comfortable, she would try to wake him up when he took a nap – until big sister Kianga put a stop to that. Now, the team reports Jabali and Luna are hanging out together.

Baby Elephants Jabali and Luna Are Becoming the Best of Friends at Disney's Animal Kingdom Baby Elephants Jabali and Luna Are Becoming the Best of Friends at Disney's Animal Kingdom Baby Elephants Jabali and Luna Are Becoming the Best of Friends at Disney's Animal Kingdom

And it’s been wonderful to hear from our Kilimanjaro Safaris and Wild Africa Trek guests (and Disney Parks Blog and Walt Disney World Facebook readers too!) how much they’ve enjoyed seeing Jabali and the rest of herd during recent visits.

(Photos courtesy of the Elephant Team)

Filed: Disney's Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

John on September 14th, 2011 at 11:00 am

I’m visiting Walt Disney World arriving September 30 for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon. We’ll be there for a week. Will we be able to see Jabali on Kilimanjaro Safaris? We’re also signed up for Wild Africa Trek early in the morning on October 3, any chance we’ll see him while doing that?

George from NY on September 14th, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I can’t wait to see the little darling in person! Can you give me any information about the activities for Bat Day (10/26)?

John – I did the Wild Africa Trek in May. We did see the elephants, but from a safari truck along the same route as the Kilimanjari Safari trucks. We were lucky enough to have a giraffe within touching distance (no-one touched) of the truck, though!

Laura from MI on September 14th, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I am going to the world on 09/17, with our stop in AK on the 18th! I can’t wait to see this little guy. I absolutely love the black and white picture! He is adorable.

Traci from NY on September 14th, 2011 at 2:19 pm

So cute! He was born while we were there – the day before my little guy’s 7th birthday. Now he says he has a birthday buddy at Animal Kingdom! :) We already saw Luna on our last safari ride. Now we can look forward to meeting Jabali on our next trip!

Carrie on September 14th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Staying at AKL week of Thanksgiving, hope to see this precious baby then!

Amber on September 14th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Darling! We hope to catch a glimpse of Luna and Jabali in a couple months! Thank you for sharing these pictures with us each Wednesday!

Elizabeth on September 14th, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I love the new baby elephant!!! Hope to come see him someday.

Kelly on September 14th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

TOO PRECIOUS!!!!!! I need to book a trip asap just to see this little addition!

Dereka from NY on September 14th, 2011 at 4:28 pm

We rode Kilimanjaro Safari this morning and he was out! He’s adorable!

Stacy from CT on September 14th, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Coming for a visit in November and seeing Jabali will be the highlight of my trip! Absolutley adorable. Elephants are my favorite animal and I love seeing these pictures! Keep them coming please!

Lenore on September 15th, 2011 at 7:26 am

He is such a perfect little man. We’ll be there in Oct & Dec. Hope to see him both visits. It’s always a blessing to bring a African elephant into this world. Especially in Dumbo’s 70th anniverary year. If Jabali’s mom is even half as good as Mrs. Jumbo,he will be raised with perfection! :-)

Jennifer on September 15th, 2011 at 8:04 am

We will be at WDW in 11 days and I am so excited to see the baby elephant!! My kids ask for updates on him every day!

Joanna on September 15th, 2011 at 8:50 am

We’re doing the Trek on Nov. 3. Seeing Jabali and Luna will be the hightlight of our experience. Keep the updates and the pictures coming. It’s very interesting to follow Jabali’s progress.

Amy from FL on September 16th, 2011 at 6:38 pm

We will be there next week. I hope I see Jabali!!!

Rochelle on September 26th, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Not sure when Jabali’s first day on the savannah was, but I saw him on Seept 11 while on the Wild Africa Trek. He and Luna were chasing each other around like the infant and toddler they are. It was so incredible!

marie on September 27th, 2011 at 1:04 pm

We will be there in 24 days! Can’t wait to see the baby elephants! Jabali will be 2 months old! I wonder how much they grow!