Spaceship Earth at Epcot

Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House – A Disney Halloween Tradition

posted on October 31st, 2011 by Shannon Swanson, Public Relations Manager, Disneyland Resort

One of my earliest memories of Halloween was listening to the “Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House” on vinyl. Every year my mother played this album (both sides) while we were getting ready for trick-or-treating. It was such a thrill to hear narrator Laura Olsher telling me I was a “bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing.”

The audio clip below is a compilation of some of my favorite sound effects from the iconic Disneyland album – listen if you dare.

As Greg posted last week, the entire album is available for download on iTunes. I’m so excited to share this tradition with my kids this Halloween, no record-flipping required!

Filed: Disneyland Resort

Benjamin on October 31st, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Where can I purchase this album?

Oleg from CA on October 31st, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I have this on Vinyl – purchased when it originally came out… now if I can just find it ;-)

Kyra on October 31st, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Was this from a certain attraction or movie?

Greg Ehrbar on October 31st, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Benjamin — it’s available for download on iTunes.

Kyra – As far as I was able to determine, this album was not connection to a specific film or attraction and it was released years before the Haunted Mansion opened.

For more info on this and other Disney “haunted” albums, please take a look at my post from 10/28.

Thanks for sharing your “groovy” memories of vinyl, Shannon!

Adam on October 31st, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I have this on vinyl too! This brings back fun memories. I totally forgot about it; now it’s time to find it! Thanks for the post!

Thea from CA on November 1st, 2011 at 11:12 am

I have this record!!!! It has an orange cover. I am so going to put this on my ipod!!!

Stephanie from AZ on November 1st, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I will have to look for that on iTunes! I have the 50th anniversary “A Musical History of Disneyland” and played the track of the Haunted Mansion ride through on repeat out my window for trick-or-treaters. Now I really want to come and ride the real thing :)

Melinda on November 2nd, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Oh my gosh! We have this, too! We had a record player that was stored in the garage and I used to play this loud on Halloween!