'World of Color' at Disney California Adventure Park

Mickey Tests Some Magic Words at Walt Disney World

posted on October 31st, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Guests visiting Magic Kingdom Park tonight are in for a real Halloween treat. For the first time in the park’s history, Mickey will be talking with guests and testing some new tricks backstage at Town Square Theater.

Because tonight’s test is open to a very limited number of guests – Mickey and his pals at Magic Kingdom Park, Walt Disney Creative Entertainment, and Walt Disney Imagineering helped us create this video to share with all of you.

Take a look and let us know what you think in the “Comments” section below.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Arielle from NC on October 31st, 2011 at 5:07 pm

We’ve been waiting for this!! YAY!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 31st, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Just a reminder that the experience is only being tested. :)

Jessica from FL on October 31st, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Oh my goodness! This is wonderful to finally see happen! GREAT JOB IMAGINEERS!!

Tiffini on October 31st, 2011 at 5:09 pm

That is AWESOME!! Magical, even! :)

Jessica from NH on October 31st, 2011 at 5:09 pm

So amazing…you had to know that Disney would make this happen!

Alicia on October 31st, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Please bring this to Disneyland!! I would love to bring my little cousins to see Mickey actually talk! :)

Caitlin on October 31st, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I can’t believe what they’ve managed to do! This is completely amazing. Love it.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 31st, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Mickey is amazing, isn’t he?

Adam on October 31st, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Awesome! Hopefully this sticks around :)

dawn from MN on October 31st, 2011 at 5:16 pm

wow! awesome!

Marc on October 31st, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Really awesome, truly magical! Now just get it out of testing by the time we are going in February! =)

Peter from ON on October 31st, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Amazing! Can’t wait until this is rolled out permanently!

Arielle on October 31st, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Very cool!

Joanna on October 31st, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Whoa…

THIS IS SO COOL!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! TALKING MICKEY!!!!!

marlene on October 31st, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Omg, that is the coolest thing ever! Just got home from MNSSHP at WDW today and am kicking myself for not being able to experience it with my 3. Love love love it! Please keep it going :)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 31st, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Marlene, the test will be EXTREMELY limited, which is why we did the video. I hope your family had a great time last night!

Terry from PA on October 31st, 2011 at 5:23 pm

This… is… AMAZING! WDW *needs* this, seriously! You will have aduly tearing up at this, I know I do just watching the video. I know this is a test but you have to make it permanent. to have the characters interact with you like that, maybe even call you by name would be very, very cool.

Allison from VA on October 31st, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Amazing! Not sure how they are doing it, since I thought there was only one “voice” of Mickey. Is that him?!?

I love it so much, and I hope that we get to hear Mickey next time we visit him!

sally on October 31st, 2011 at 5:27 pm

This is AMAZING, it made me cry, and i can not wait to experience this!!!!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 31st, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I’m so happy you liked it. I’m very happy we could share a preview of this test with all of you.

kristi on October 31st, 2011 at 5:30 pm

OHHHHH…I am so EXCITED to see and hear this news ! Been waiting a long time and many, many trips to Disney just to speak with Mickey ! Where dreams come true, for ever and always…Pink Tink

Happy from CA on October 31st, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I wish Mickey would be able to speak with me next week, but I fear he’ll be all “talked-out” by then……

Maybe next year…

Jennifer on October 31st, 2011 at 5:35 pm

This honestly brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for striving to continue the magic! My 15 year old son, just pronounced the video “Epic!” Well done.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 31st, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Thanks so much!

Marisa from FL on October 31st, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Ok, I’m 34 and I’m super excited to chat with Mickey!!

Therese from FL on October 31st, 2011 at 5:37 pm

This is an AWESOME idea! Too bad I missed it during my 9 days this month! We already LOVE this idea!

Andrea from AZ on October 31st, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Oh my goodness!! Awesome! I sure hope we get to visit with Mickey on our next trip :) Very cool.

Samuel from FL on October 31st, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I’m not sure if it’s just the video, but the shape of the face looks different, and the eyes are a lot bigger than the non-talking Mickey.

Steven from FL on October 31st, 2011 at 5:54 pm

The only thing that could make even better as if his Brother Oswald was part of the act. :)

Eirene on October 31st, 2011 at 5:56 pm

This makes my heart melt!! Hope you decide to make this a permanent happening at Disney parks. I would LOVE to have Mickey talk to me since just meeting him makes me tear up, imagine the conversations!!

Joey on October 31st, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Glad to see this Mickey isn’t the scripted Mickey from D23

Jeffrey from FL on October 31st, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I had the opportunity to speak with Mickey at the D23 Expo in August. It was an unbelievable experience, and I can’t wait for more Guests to be able to experience the same emotions I did in the parks.

Eric from AL on October 31st, 2011 at 6:12 pm

WOW! The most wonderful place on earth just became more magical! See ya November 27th!

Tracy from IL on October 31st, 2011 at 6:20 pm

How fun! I can’t wait to experience this! Thanks again to Disney for making everything magical!

Lynne from VA on October 31st, 2011 at 6:22 pm

What an amazing addition to the wonder of Disney. I hope this becomes permanent and not just a test.
Great job.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 31st, 2011 at 7:31 pm

It sure looks neat!

Lori on October 31st, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Yes, it is awesome!! Children (and adults) will be thrilled to hear his voice. I hope the test is very successful and this will become a permanent feature.

Fred from CA on October 31st, 2011 at 6:38 pm

This was first tested at Disneyland. (Last year, I believe)

So PLEASE allow Mickey to talk at Disneyland in his movie barn again.
I do not think that its fair for WDW to get all of the magical goodies and for Walt’s original Disneyland to get left out.

Cory on October 31st, 2011 at 6:44 pm

When will this go live for everyone? Talking Mickey has been in the works for many years. It is an awsome thing. Let Mickey talk!

Jessica on October 31st, 2011 at 7:19 pm

This is amazing! I am currently 5 months pregnant with my first child. I can’t wait to bring him or her to meet Mickey and actually have him speak! I got married in Disney world in 2009 and come from the UK every year. I will never cease to be amazed and will never be disappointed! Thank you!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 31st, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Sharing Disney with little ones for the first time is always amazing!

Masumi from Chiba on October 31st, 2011 at 7:19 pm

maybe it’s great but his face is SO weird. i like nomal Mickey…

Paul from NY on October 31st, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Wow wow wow. I loved the videos of the tests at Disneyland, and the fact that it’s being expanded to Walt Disney World spells only good news, in my mind. I love that the Imagineers are taking their time testing this, but at the same time, I hope the tests hurry up and pass with flying colors, so that we can start hearing and talking to Mickey on a regular basis “real soon”. :-)

Richard from IL on October 31st, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I saw the Disneyland clip and was waiting for the test to come to Disneyworld. Mickey’s #1 but I hope fab four, well maybe not pluto, all have a chance to speak up in the future. It will be treat for kids young and old.

Jessica on October 31st, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I waited my entire childhood to be able to talk to Mickey. How amazing would it be for my children to be able to hold a conversation with Mickey Mouse??

Brandon on October 31st, 2011 at 9:08 pm

This video is SO amazing! So glad to see Mickey interact in this way…it would be awe-inspiring to see in real life! Do you know if there are any plans to carry out this technology to other silent characters?

Edward from TX on October 31st, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I got to talk to Mickey at the D23|Expo…it was VERY cool!

Heather on October 31st, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Very cool, but kinda weird too. Been coming to WDW for 35 years now and seems a little strange but in a good way…just so used to a mute Mickey, I think my 4yr old would be overjoyed!!

andrew from leics on October 31st, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Was at the halloween party on Friday – 1st time ever and it was awesome, fireworks were the best we’ve ever seen. It was at breakfast on Friday that my eldest (13) said he couldn’t understand why none of the characters could speak yet because with voice changer technology he was sure it would be possible to make one or two of the characters talk. And here it is – amazing, this definitely has to stay, it’s definitely passed the test! (from Mandy wife of Andrew, UK)

Joseph on October 31st, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Wonderful job, Imagineers! We love ya!

Douglas on October 31st, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Before I played the video I was getting ready to slam this.
Now No More! (But Disney knows how to beat expetations!)

The Technology did not exist in the 1950′ 1960′s 1970′s for this.

I was disappointed my first visit to WDW to learn that the characters did not talk.
This is great! It sounds like Mickey, his mouth moves right, Yep That Is Mickey!

“It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.”

May you get all the bugs out (if any are left) and make this a permanent situation.

Please keep this (ever how limited) some where at all the Disney Parks!

WOW!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2011 at 9:18 am

I’m very happy you liked this in the end. :)

Stephanie on October 31st, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Looks great! Would love to see Minnie interacting too!

Robert on October 31st, 2011 at 11:01 pm

This is unbelieveable. My grandkids will be so excited. Finally to interact with Mickey in talk.

Alison on October 31st, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Awesome video, what lucky kids!

Fred, Disneyland gets new parades a lot quicker than WDW, plus Dumbo and Zero have flown around your castle, your Fantasmic! dragon is amazing, and you have Haunted Mansion/Small World holiday enhancements…just remember that. Plus, Mickey did talk to your guests first. =)

I can’t wait for this to become the norm park-wide, but I hope it doesn’t take away the magic of all of Mickey’s friends. Minnie, Goofy, Donald (hopefully with a translator!), Stitch, Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, so many other great characters to converse with too. Will parents have to explain why only Mickey talks and only at certain places/times?

Kathy on October 31st, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Wow! That’s amazing! It will make the characters so much more personal. It was exciting to hear Crush interact with the children the first time too.

Glen on October 31st, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Wow! Any chance this will go live for Christmas/New Years? And is it only at Mickey’s place that he talks or at the Character diners too???

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2011 at 9:20 am

Since this was a test, I have no information on future plans at this time.

Jean from FL on October 31st, 2011 at 11:58 pm

My daughter is blind and autistic and loves Mickey Mouse. I always wished he could speak to her. I think she would love it!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2011 at 9:19 am

That would be wonderful, Jean.