'it's a small world' at Disneyland Park

Mickey Tests Some Magic Words at Walt Disney World

posted on October 31st, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Guests visiting Magic Kingdom Park tonight are in for a real Halloween treat. For the first time in the park’s history, Mickey will be talking with guests and testing some new tricks backstage at Town Square Theater.

Because tonight’s test is open to a very limited number of guests – Mickey and his pals at Magic Kingdom Park, Walt Disney Creative Entertainment, and Walt Disney Imagineering helped us create this video to share with all of you.

Take a look and let us know what you think in the “Comments” section below.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Heather on November 1st, 2011 at 12:39 am

That’s spectacular!! Not only does he speak, but his eyes blink too! Well done, Disney!

thomas from WI on November 1st, 2011 at 1:45 am

WOW>>> WDW pulled off another one.. A Few years ago I watched Tiger give an amazing preformance.. he stayed out late and jumped around did push ups… and it was 95 degrees out.. you have such amazing people in there to begin with.. now to have interaction… Im in Awe…

Daniel on November 1st, 2011 at 2:52 am

Disneyland has had the Talking Mickey for a while now.. and he is even used in the new parade “Mickey’s Soundstational Parade” :)

Keith on November 1st, 2011 at 3:12 am

I would put this innovation up there with Bob Gurr’s Abraham Lincoln. I can’t figure this one out. But I don’t know if I want to. This is so incredibly magical!

TROY on November 1st, 2011 at 7:13 am

That’s absolutely amazing..Disney never ceases to amaze me..Really hope this becomes a permanent icon event with Disney, and hope they bring voices to all the characters..Just when I thought I couldn’t love being at Disney more than I already do, you guys bring this!!! Thanks Walt for your incredible dreams!!! Disney imagineers, you guys are awesome!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2011 at 11:53 am

I’m loving all this positive feedback. Thanks so much, everyone!

Norman on November 1st, 2011 at 7:17 am

I think this is great, it’s so nice to hear Mickey than just get a nod, it would be great if all of the fav five talked, maybe it will come soon!

Darren from CT on November 1st, 2011 at 7:17 am

He looks so natural. I think this will be a big hit.

Dolores from NY on November 1st, 2011 at 7:39 am

Eeep!!! I love it! I hope they’re still “testing” it when I’m in WDW for Thanksgiving. :)

Susan on November 1st, 2011 at 7:45 am

Love this!We were just there at the end of Septemberbut are headed back in February..my children will be so excited to talk to Mickey!!! :)

john on November 1st, 2011 at 8:04 am

This is fantastic, that SPECIAL MAGIC. I wish I could go back to the time with my 3 boys when they were young. They would really BELIEVE.

Lisa from ON on November 1st, 2011 at 8:20 am

My kids and I are so excited seeing this video of Mickey actually talking with guests. I hope they will be testing during Christmas when we are there. Are there any plans of Christmas time testing?

claudio on November 1st, 2011 at 8:58 am

Amazing, just another dream comming true! It´ll be there from now on? I´ll be at Magic Kingdon april 2012 with my family and want to see Mickey chating eith my 4 year old son :-)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2011 at 9:21 am

This experience was a limited-time test. Other than that, I have no information on future plans.

Carla from PR on November 1st, 2011 at 9:30 am

OMG!!! I just cried!!! This is just awesome!!! Can’t wait for my kids to get back from school so they can see it!! They will go crazy!!!!

Erica from IN on November 1st, 2011 at 9:31 am

WONDERFUL!!!!!

Bryan on November 1st, 2011 at 9:39 am

This actually was tested out in Disneyland last year

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2011 at 10:01 am

Yes, this was the first test conducted at WDW.

Thea from CA on November 1st, 2011 at 11:06 am

This is great and wonderful!!! You realize that now guests will expect all the characters to have voices….not a bad idea. Thank you Imaginears!!!

Travis on November 1st, 2011 at 11:09 am

This is amazing, the eyes even blink, what is the possibility of this technology being applied to all of the characters in WDW? Also Mickey able to walk around the park and communicate, or is the technology limit conversational Mickey to just at the Theatre location? I just took my fiance and step-daughter for their first trip this past September, however, we are returning 9/22/2012 for 9 days, will Mickey be able to talk then as well?

Fred from CA on November 1st, 2011 at 11:29 am

Alison–

Yeah, I suppose you have a point there. :)

I just hope that Mickey will talk again sometime at Disneyland!

Anthony on November 1st, 2011 at 11:45 am

This is awesome! We are going to WDW next week. Are these periodic tests announced or do we just have to get lucky and stumble upon this?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2011 at 11:54 am

Tests usually aren’t announced. We were so fortunate to be able to present this video with everyone as the test was beginning at the park.

Chuck from VA on November 1st, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Simply amazing!

Let’s hope the incredible Imagineers continue to develop this new technology and one day we can talk with Mickey on a regular basis.

Here’s hoping for some new Disney Magic!!

Bob on November 1st, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Amazing! This is true Disney magic. I just showed my 4-year-old son and he said, “Mickey is so funny!” I can’t wait to experience this in the Parks later on.

Bob

Alison on November 1st, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I got so teary-eyed watching the video, I don’t know if I could handle it in person!

Amber on November 1st, 2011 at 3:13 pm

How amazingly magical! I hope this makes it out of the testing stage well and can be enjoyed by many for years to come!

David from FL on November 1st, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I think this is just the beginning of a totally new generation of Disney Magic and I for one, can’t wait to see it all unfold.

Bryan on November 1st, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Wow, I sure hope that this becomes a standard at Disney Parks. Seeing Mickey interact with the kids, talking and mouth moving and eyes blinking brings the characters to life even more.

I compare this to the Turtle Talk with Crush. That direct interaction with the characters is so special and leaves lasting memories.

I’m hoping by the time we hit up Disney World in a few years you guys have this happening all over the park.

aaron on November 1st, 2011 at 3:48 pm

That is pretty cool. I would love to see how it works. Also a really nice performance on the part of the cast member. There are kids alive today who won’t remember a time when theme park characters had static, mute faces. I don’t have any kids, so meeting characters isn’t on my agenda when I’m in the parks, but I’m curious to hear what Mickey would say to my wife and I. Maybe we will pay him a visit if he’s around the next time we visit.. :)

Julie on November 1st, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I have dreamt of this happening my whole life. I knew that if anyone could make it work, it’s Disney Imagineers! Counting down the days until I get to Disney again so I can experience this magic :)

Tara from VA on November 1st, 2011 at 8:24 pm

This is AWESOME!!! Coolest thing ever. Disney is the BEST!

Joy on November 1st, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I had heard talking Mickey was in the works, but this video shows Mickey talking and sounding GREAT! I can’t wait till everyone in our family can not only hug Mickey and talk to him, but have him talk back! GREAT JOB, IMAGINEERS!!!

Diana on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:46 am

Really? Mickey talks now? That is so cool. When will this attraction be ready? If by December, then maybe we will stop there on our way home from Barbados and the Grenadines!!!

Nathalie from NB on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:03 pm

WOW WOW WOW!!! I am positive that this test got RAVE REVIEWS!!! Let’s hope they bring this on permanently!!! My kids(& myself included) would just go nuts!! WELL DONE IMAGINEERS!!!

Jesus from - on November 2nd, 2011 at 6:52 pm

WOAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcus on November 3rd, 2011 at 12:35 am

So if this works out, any chance other interactions with other character throughout the park? I know they are not as popular as Mickey, but I’d love to be able to have a conversations with the Brer’s, they’re my favorite!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 7th, 2011 at 9:07 am

I have no info on this yet.

stacey on November 3rd, 2011 at 11:26 am

WOW, truly magical…. it just warms my heart and brings a tear to my eye to think of all of the little ones’ faces (and grown ups too) who will not just see, but hear Mickey for the first time at the Parks.

Maclane on November 3rd, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Do we know about how long will this be tested for?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 7th, 2011 at 9:11 am

We do not, which is why I’m very happy we can share the video with everyone.

Howie from KS on November 4th, 2011 at 11:31 am

OUTSTANDING!! I hope the test works out and this is rolled out as a permanent attraction. Way to go imagineers.

Virginia on November 4th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

OMG!!! This is so amazing!! I’d cry if I got to meet Mickey like this!! :D

Maria on November 4th, 2011 at 7:17 pm

All kids will love to see talking Mickey. I think all adults will too. This is great. Keep up the great work and those imaginations. Anything can happen with a little bit of pixie dust!!!

Sarah on November 5th, 2011 at 11:47 am

That is the most precious thing I’ve ever seen!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 7th, 2011 at 9:07 am

It’s a great interaction!

Amanda on November 5th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Ahh,I want to cry!
Oh my gosh! I love this! Beautiful.
I hope there are future plans for this but how does this work? May we know?
Will Mickey be limited to say certain things and what other characters are you guys planning to do it on?
Dreams do come true! (:
Ahh, <3 I love Disneyland! :D Thanks for sharing! Since I have an AP, I can't wait to look forward to seeing this! :D

Janet from IA on November 5th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Mickey has been my favorite character sice I was 5. (that’s 36 years) I was thrilled to kiss his nose last spring in WDW. My kids thought I was nutty. The thought of talking with Mickey BLOWS MY MIND and makes me so happy! What a way to further the experience, and to prolong the true sense of magic for my kids!

Pedro Ernesto on November 6th, 2011 at 6:32 am

How did Mickey perform the magic? Special effects?

diana from NJ on November 7th, 2011 at 7:55 am

Love this…wish I could have been there…great job imagineers!!!

Heidi from NC on November 7th, 2011 at 2:21 pm

OMG! That was amazing! I wish I had been able to see him in person!

Michelle on November 7th, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Fantastic and exciting! My how Magical it would be to walk in to meet a talking Mickey! Watching the test video brings happy tears to my eyes. So looking forward to our christmas time visit just 4 weeks away. I hope they start this soon :)