Disneyland Monorail

New Dooney & Bourke Comic Collection Arrives at Disney Parks in October

posted on October 5th, 2011 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

New Satchel from the Dooney & Bourke Comic Collection

I’m a big fan of the heritage of the Walt Disney Company. In particular, I love when Disney merchandise gives a nod to the past. There is a new Dooney & Bourke collection arriving in October at Disney Parks that draws inspiration from a rather humorous side of Disney – the comic strip. I spoke with Susan Foy, a graphic artist with Disney Design Group and self-proclaimed handbag aficionado, about this new comic-inspired collection.

New Barrel Bags from the Dooney & Bourke Comic Collection

“I created the layout for the Dooney & Bourke comic collection,” explained Susan. “I used comic panels that featured a variety of what I call ‘life moments.’ I particularly like the panel that says, ‘I think we’re out of cheese,’ as it captures a cute exchange between Mickey and Minnie.”

The history of the Mickey Mouse comic strip dates back to January 1930. The original Mickey Mouse comic strip was drawn for about a month by Disney Legend Ub Iwerks. Win Smith took over for Ub for about three months. The responsibility eventually fell to Disney Legend Floyd Gottfredson, who ended up drawing the strip for 45 years until he retired from the company. The original comic strip was followed up with a Sunday page version in 1932 (drawn by Manual Gonzales for more than 30 years) and eventually comic books (both for Mickey Mouse and, my favorite, Donald Duck).

Susan explained that a great partnership helped create the new collection.

“Once I completed the pattern, Laura Caszatt, who is the product developer, selected pop color trim for the bags,” continued Susan. “We then shared the finished designs with the Dooney & Bourke team, who applied them to some of the most popular bag styles. They have been great partners in creating these fun bags for Disney Parks.”

New Wristlets from the Dooney & Bourke Comic Collection

This collection will be the only one introduced for the upcoming holiday season. At Disneyland Resort, these bags will be introduced to World of Disney at Downtown Disney District and Disney Clothiers, Ltd. in Disneyland park. At Walt Disney World Resort, you can find these bags at World of Disney and TrenD and at Downtown Disney Marketplace and Uptown Jewelers in Magic Kingdom Park. The Disney Parks online store will introduce the collection in 2012.

I asked Susan about her personal collection of handbags.

“I have about 54 different handbags from a variety of designers,” laughed Susan. “I guess you could say I’m obsessed with them. I think handbags are like functional art – I can use them rather than place them on a shelf. I’m looking forward to these new bags as I like the black and white design with the splashes of color. Sometimes the most effective designs are simple and fun, which is just like this collection.”

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Kimberly from MA on October 5th, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I wasn’t really crazy for any of the previous D&B Disney bags, but this one I LOVE!!!

Jennifer on October 5th, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Im pretty disappointed, I feel like this pattern is WAY over used in all the Disney merchandise. It just gets old after a while. There are so many better patterns that could be developed. The DCL and the Aulani are some of the best.

RUTH on October 5th, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Please consider including backpack-style bags into the collections.

Sonya on October 5th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

OMG!! I already have a D&B Cruise bag, and 2 other Disney bags..Can’t wait to purchase this one when I’m there in December for my anniversary!! Wonder if it will be online?

Steven Miller on October 6th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

@Jennifer – I’m sorry to hear of your disappointment. If you are headed to Aulani, please take me with you. :-)

@Sonya – Look for this collection to appear on the Disney Parks online store in early 2012. And congratulations on your anniversary! December is a perfect time to visit (especially with the holidays).

Connie from CA on October 5th, 2011 at 7:22 pm

OMG….must…have…one!!!

Rebecca on October 5th, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I would LOVE a Donald inspired Dooney, who would I go to about getting that done???
This collection is fabulous and I want it. :)

Rebecca on October 5th, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Any idea if that large bag will be available with the blue trim???

wendy on October 5th, 2011 at 11:17 pm

why oh why did I open this up, gotta have it !!! To go with my other D&B purses.
And make one a backpack please. <— I like that idea !!

Patricia from NJ on October 6th, 2011 at 7:26 am

When will this appear in the park stores exactly? I arrive tomorrow for a week and I would like to purchase one.

Steven Miller on October 6th, 2011 at 5:53 pm

@Rebecca – I have not seen a version that you describe. The only versions are the ones I photographed for this article. Sorry.

@Patricia – I unfortunately don’t have an exact date at this point but let me see what I can discover. I telephoned the World of Disney in Florida tonight but they had not received them yet.

christie on October 6th, 2011 at 10:45 am

UGH! I hope they don’t do a villains one (like the sweatshirt). I’ll be in trouble!

Thomas from IN on October 6th, 2011 at 11:01 am

Nothing to say about the purse (except that I hope my wife doesn’t see it! ;) ), just wanted to say that it was nice meeting you–twice–at Walt Disney World over the weekend. Hope you got that shot of Castillo Del Morro you were after and hope you enjoyed Food & Wine Festival!

-Tom & Sarah

Steven Miller on October 6th, 2011 at 5:57 pm

@Tom and Sarah – It was wonderful to see you at both Magic Kingdom on Saturday and on Sunday at Epcot. Saturday was awesome and the photo I needed turned out great. I hope the same for your photo adventures. My son and I had a blast at Epcot on Sunday – the weather was perfect and he rode Mission: SPACE (Team Orange) for the first time. He loved it (just like his space cadet Dad – LOL!). I hope to run into you both again!

melissa from CA on October 10th, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Definately need to do a villains bag. A backpack style would be awesome!

ANGELA on October 11th, 2011 at 12:39 am

I would love to see a Villains or a NBC one as well, I would SO buy that!

Charla on October 11th, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these bags. I already have two Disney D&B purses, but I see another that I need to add to my collection. I’ve already emailed it to my husband and daughters…hope they get the hint for Xmas!

Ashley on October 11th, 2011 at 5:57 pm

So fabulous! I love the wallet with the blue outline! Perfect Chirstmas gift!

Sonya on October 29th, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I’ve been at Disney World for several days and have had zero luck finding these bags. I’lll be leaving in a couple of days and I’m afraid I won’t be able to buy one as TrenD, Uptown Jewelers, and World of Disney don’t seem to know anything about when they’ll be available. Was the October release date changed? Running out of time this month. ;)

Steven Miller on November 4th, 2011 at 10:32 am

@Sonia – I’m sorry to hear of your frustration. I confirmed with the development team that the new bags arrived yesterday at Trend-D in Downtown Disney Marketplace. They should also appear in additional locations within the week. There was a slight delay in shipping that caused them to be later than anticipated.

If you aren’t able to find them, you can also contact Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or email
merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

Thank you for spending some time with us! I hope you had a great trip.