Enjoy the nighttime extravaganza Fantasmic! at Disney Parks

Vintage Walt Disney World: Mickey Gets a Sweet Tooth

posted on October 13th, 2011 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

Did you know that the Not-So-Scary fun at Magic Kingdom Park started 16 years ago? Now that I realize this, there are about five years of sweet treats and character meet-and-greets that I’ve missed out on. Boo! (To you and you and you).

Vintage Walt Disney World: Mickey Gets a Sweet Tooth

I decided to dig in the archives for something from the very first Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in 1996 and I found this photograph of some of the Disney Characters dressed up for the first party. Chip ‘n Dale are ghosts, Mickey is a pirate, Pluto is dressed in Hawaiian attire and Maleficent as Maleficent. (Apparently, she doesn’t feel as if she needs a costume…). This year, it took 10 tractor-trailers to bring all 241 tons of candy from California to Orlando that will be handed out at the Magic Kingdom Park this Halloween season. With more than 40 different kinds of candy in three different mixes, I’m off to get my sweet tooth on. I just need to find a costume first.

Filed: Disney History, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Kevin from NJ on October 13th, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Maleficent must not have been feeling well. She’s looking a little pale in that picture. Not her normal green self.

Nicole on October 13th, 2011 at 1:07 pm

i love seein vintage pics of Disney!!

Nate Rasmussen on October 13th, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I love sharing them!

Adam on October 13th, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Wow, I didn’t know the party was that old. Happy Halloween season, everyone! My favorite time of year :)

laura from FL on October 13th, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Aw, we took my daughter as Snow White that year. I’ll never forget the cast members treating her as if she was Snow. We have been back almost every year since. Since a wonderful tradition for us! It has definately been an event that created some magical memories! I need to scan the photo and send it to you all. She went every year after as Mulan, Meg, Jasmine, and on and on!

Stacey on October 13th, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I was at the very first one and have been back 3 other times. I will be this year festivities as well. It is my favorite time of year at Disney World.

Nate Rasmussen on October 13th, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I love the feeling of Magic Kingdom Park during this time. It’s so different than the every day vibe.

susan from RI on October 13th, 2011 at 3:02 pm

My Mom and I actually went to the first party. It was really good but we are amazed at how big it’s gotten! We plan our trip to be there for the Not So Scary Halloween Party every year. We just went in September. And now the countdown begins until next year’s party!!!

marcela from FL on October 13th, 2011 at 3:09 pm

We just went for the first time and picked up so much candy, I used it to fill the goody bags in my kids birthday party. The best part was dancing all night long with Goofy, Pluto and Stitch. Oh, the headless horseman was unforgettable!!!!

Nate Rasmussen on October 13th, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I love to dance with the characters, too. My friend Rose and I were getting down with Stitch. He’s got some moves.

Rob on October 13th, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Mickey and Pluto haven’t aged a bit I need to know their doctor.

Nate Rasmussen on October 13th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I know, right?

William on October 13th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I love the “Vintage” pictures (although I don’t know if you can call something under 20 yrs old Vintage.) I can’t wait till Oct 25 when I get to go to MNSSHP for the first time!

Nate Rasmussen on October 13th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Ah, sure we can. (I do it all the time :) ) Oh, and you’re going to love it. Lots of fun…and candy!

Robin on October 13th, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Love Boo 2 U!..

Jordan on October 13th, 2011 at 4:40 pm

One week from today I will be attending my first Not So Scary Halloween Party with my family! I can’t wait!

Joel from MA on October 13th, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I have never been, but my wife and I are taking our 3 year old daughter to Disney for Halloween week and will be attending the party on Halloween night.. I think I am more excited than my daughter.. Halloween is my favorite time of year

Steve on October 13th, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Great place, but it was really hot there!

Giovanna on October 16th, 2011 at 8:51 pm

what Disney will have for Halloween this year?

Jessica on October 17th, 2011 at 9:10 am

My fiancee and I are taking our daughter to the Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party this year (we’ll be there October 27th) and we can’t wait. In fact our daughter, whose 4 years old, has no idea we’re going. She’s going as Tinkerbell and will be very surprise. Question: Will she be able to meet Tinkerbell and her fairy friends? Also will any of the Princesses be there because she loves them all?