Via Napoli Restaurant, Italy Pavilion at Epcot

Capturing Motion at Disneyland Park

posted on November 29th, 2011 by Paul Hiffmeyer, Chief Photographer for Public Relations, Disneyland Resort

I usually take a couple of filters with me when I’m out shooting, one of them being a neutral density (ND) filter. There are a variety of ND filters, but the one I used for this photograph was a ND 400. It was a bright, sunny day at Disneyland park so the 9 f-stop reduction helped me to set the camera for a 30-second exposure and get the effect I was looking for – motion.

Capturing Motion at Disneyland Park

Can you think of any other reasons to use this type of filter?

See the posts below for more unique captures from around Disneyland Resort:

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

8 Comments 1 Reply

Brian from CA on November 29th, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Hey you took this over a few months ago because New Orleans this year already had it Christmas stuff up befre Oct 31, and all those strollers means pirates where open but they been closed until Nov 24. So when did you realy take this photo?

Kelli on November 29th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Brian does it matter when he “really took the picture” that’s not really the point of the post, nor does he say when he took it.

Great picture Paul, I would use the filter on main street maybe at sun down when all the lights are on, or during a parade.

Jeff on November 29th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I often use an ND or a variable ND to produce extreme depth of field in daylight. Love being able to set f-stop at 1.2 or 1.4 in bright sun, interesting look.

Michael on November 29th, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Nice shot Paul!

Two other examples of uses for ND filters are to blur moving water or and to shoot very long fireworks exposures, sometimes as long as 60-100 seconds.

Paul Hiffmeyer on November 29th, 2011 at 6:49 pm

All of your ideas for uses of the ND filter are really great. It’s fun to experiment with the different kinds of ND filters, especially here at the Disney parks.

Neal on November 30th, 2011 at 9:07 am

I use a graduated ND filter for those horizon shots where I want to capture the skyline without the sky getting blown out. I use this especially at Epcot (which I know is not DL) around the World Showcase.

Dean on November 30th, 2011 at 7:55 pm

This is what NOS looked like the week after christmas last year! :)

Derek on November 30th, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Paul, that was a great shot! Plus, I enjoyed your insight on the use of ND filters. I’m a beginner that just graduated to an SLR, and I’m starting to play with filters a little bit. Disneyland and Disney World have been fantastic learning grounds for me (so many interesting subject matters to choose from!).

Trisha from CA on December 20th, 2011 at 3:50 am

Awesome shot! I want your job! How did you become a photographer for the disney parks blog!? I want to become one!!!