Disneyland Monorail

Vintage Walt Disney World: A Dragon Debuts at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on November 3rd, 2011 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

Walt Disney Pictures’ “Pete’s Dragon” premiered in New York City 34 years ago, on Nov. 3, 1977. That same year, Elliott, the dragon from the movie, made his debut in the Main Street Electrical Parade at Magic Kingdom Park. Here’s a look back at when Elliot joined the parade.

Elliot from ‘Pete’s Dragon’ Makes His Debut at the Main Street Electrical Parade at Walt Disney World

Elliott weighs more than 5,600 pounds, is 16 feet tall, more than 10 feet wide and is 38 feet long. He can blow smoke through his nose and can also disappear.

In 1999 while traveling back to Florida from California, Elliott even passed through the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza while making his way back to Main Street, U.S.A. (I’m not sure if he was charged for parking.) Of course, you don’t have to visit Passamaquoddy to catch a glimpse of Elliott as he appears most nights when the Main Street Electrical Parade is making its way through Magic Kingdom Park. He’s still as bright and lovable as ever.

See more about the Main Street Electrical Parade in the posts below:

Filed: Disney History, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Sara from TN on November 3rd, 2011 at 11:28 am

My favorite! I love it when he “talks” in the song/parade. Does he still do that? I haven’t seen it in awhile!

Eric on November 3rd, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I love seeing Elliot, but part of me as an old-school fan just loves the stubbornness that’s kept him in the parade all these years. (Since Disney had a string of bad luck for their big 70′s movies, and Pete’s Dragon isn’t instantly remembered as one of the classic classics.)
I’d guess that most of the youngest kids have no idea who the Pete character waving and talking to the crowd is, or recognize the themes of “Brazzle-Dazzle Day” in the parade music–The ones who did see it on video think it’s a secret, and the rest just know the parade has to have the big green dragon. :)

Aydin from ON on November 3rd, 2011 at 12:11 pm

One of my all-time favorite Disney movies (and deserving of the Blu Ray treatment). It makes me so happy that we can still find Pete and Elliott at one of the parks!

Nate Rasmussen on November 3rd, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I love this movie too – I watched it a lot as a kid.

Cristina from AL on November 3rd, 2011 at 1:46 pm

My FAVE is the spinning turtles, I just love the “sound” they make in the parade!

stacia on November 3rd, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Pete and Elliot are by far my most favorite part of that parade… I think it’s probably the only reason I stake out a spot and wait for it. Pete’s Dragon is arguably my most favorite Disney movie! I was born after the movie premiered, but somehow, growing up in the 80′s my parents had it on video tape and I watched it over and over and over again! LOVE IT! They better never take Elliot out of the parade!!

Jessica from FL on November 3rd, 2011 at 2:11 pm

The photo of him at the toll plaza is just wonderful. I hope they never get rid of those two. :)

Maria from MD on November 3rd, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I just returned last weekend from Disney Worlds and Pete’s Dragon wasn’t in the parade. I was very disappointed.

Larry on November 3rd, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Hi all, Larry from California. I’m glad you have enjoyed the Electrical Parade. Please send it back. We miss it dearly.

Nate Rasmussen on November 3rd, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Kyra on November 3rd, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I loved seeing the parade. I just went in August and the Pete’s Dragon float was cool.

Kyra on November 3rd, 2011 at 3:34 pm

When we saw that parade recently, the donkeys from the Pinnochio scene waved at my family. It was really cool!

Timothy on November 3rd, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I was there a couple of weeks agao and Pete was in the parade we saw. The man next to us asked his wife who that character was. She said it was Puff the Magic Dragon. And these were people in thier early 30s. I miss seeing Prince John playing the organ. You never see those characters in the park at all.

Katie from CA on November 3rd, 2011 at 4:51 pm

ya im gonna have to agree with ^Larry i was too young when it was in california so i dont remember it or know if i saw it at all!

Amy on November 3rd, 2011 at 5:24 pm

When I was a little girl (must have been the mid to late 70′s) I remember seeing The Electric Light Parade during halftime of a football game on a small T.V. Does anyone else remember that? I will never forget the way I felt when I saw Pete’s Dragon go across that field. I fell in love with Disney and I knew right then and there someday I would make it to Disney World to see it in person. I had to wait until I was an adult but it was worth the wait. Pete’s Dragon makes me feel like that little girl all over again.

Dale from MD on November 3rd, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Love Pete’s Dragon float — but love SpectroMagic even more!!

Nicole from MN on November 3rd, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Never seen this parade, really hoping it’s still there when I get there in 2 weeks and 1 day!

Colleen from TX on November 4th, 2011 at 9:02 am

LOVE Pete’s Dragon. I was 5 when it came out and there weren’t a lot movies for kids in the 70′s, it meant a lot to be able to go to the movies. It has always been my favorite part of the electrical parade. It was the first time my parents and I saw things differently about pop culture. Why would they put a non-classic in a parade. I replied, “It isn’t for you, it’s for me.”

Ralph on November 4th, 2011 at 4:55 pm

My Family and I were watching the Main Street Electrical Parade last Saturday night (10/29) and Elliott was not in the parade! I’m glad to see this article I was afraid he was gone for good. Still it was sad that we missed Pete and Elliott.

Nate Rasmussen on November 9th, 2011 at 8:37 am

I’m not sure where he was. Maybe he was visiting Passamaquoddy?

Eileen from MD on November 7th, 2011 at 9:29 am

Elliot is one of my favorite Disney characters. I wish Disney would bring back some Elliot merchandise!

phillip on November 7th, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Didn’t he debut during the Super Bowl?

Nate Rasmussen on November 9th, 2011 at 8:35 am

Hi Phillip. We don’t have any record of him being in the Super Bowl, but he did make an appearance in the 1978 Orange Bowl halftime show.

Amy from FL on November 8th, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Back in the late 70′s/early 80′s I had a plush of Elliot (I think I got it at WDW) and I carried him around by the neck so much that all the stuffing went out of his neck when I held him and as a result his head kind of flopped over to the side. I wish I still had him. Pete’s Dragon is a VERY underrated Disney film.

Jackie on November 10th, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Agree with Larry from CA, you all have enjoyed the MSEP for quite a while now, can we please have it back in the West? :)